OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

3X9x36 Swarovski reliability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3X9x36 Swarovski reliability
    Posted: November/24/2008 at 22:53
Been researching these optics and have ran across some opionions on the reliability of this particular scope. Anyone who shoots them have any problems?
Jabber View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 23:21
I should have asked about durability
epeorus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epeorus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2008 at 09:03
I've had a 3-9X36 AV on a 270 Model 70 for about 8 years.  I've used that rifle for mule deer and elk almost every year since ... (I did  shoot one mule deer a few years ago with a Ruger #1 in 257 AI wearing a Leupold M8 6x and I have been building a 35 Whelen which I started using this year as my elk rifle which wears a viantage 2-7x33 Vari-X).  In any case, I'm by no means the most careful person; I've fallen down a few times over the years and the Swaro has a few scratches but I've never had any problems with it.  Made the longest shot ever with it this year -- laser measured at 397 yards.  Perfectly calm early morning, off shooting sticks across a canyon.  Shooting 140 gr. Barnes TSX.   In my experiece, this scope is as durable as one could possibly expect.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2008 at 09:27
I personally have that Swaro also. No problems here. Kudos Kudos Kudos. I love it.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2008 at 05:33

Chris and all, which of the following would you put on a 6.5x55? Durability, shrapness, brightness?

Swarovski 3-9x36 American Light Weight - from samplelist
Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope
Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope 

brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2008 at 05:55
Can't speak on the scopes as I don't have them.  But I do have a 6.5x55 and I've had a 1.5-6x42 on mine.  I would say if you go Zeiss, go with the 1.8-5.5x38.  It's all the scope you'll need.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2008 at 08:42
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Chris and all, which of the following would you put on a 6.5x55? Durability, shrapness, brightness?

Swarovski 3-9x36 American Light Weight - from samplelist
Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope
Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope 

The Swarovski, but then again you will not be dissapointed with any of the three.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2008 at 10:24
The Swaro outclasses the other 2, no question.

The only issue of durability I am aware of with Swaro Americans (and Conquest as well) is with very heavy recoiling guns (.338Lapua, 50cal, no-brake 300RUM, etc) and they sometimes have issues on those guns.

If your gun is for shooting down aircraft or sniping large game at 2 miles, I'd get something else.  If not, you're good to go.

I own Swaro and Conquest, the Swaro is worth the extra money, even if the price difference is 2X - Swaro makes a great scope.

As Chris said, you will not be disappointed in any of the 3. Only when you put the Swaro side-by-side with the Conquest will you see the difference.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2008 at 21:00
The Swarovski, on "normal" hunting rifles is the clear winner.  (get it???? CLEAR winner!!!!!).  I am on a "buy American" kick, so it is hard for me to recommend, but given your choices, Swarovski.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2008 at 22:25
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

The Swarovski, on "normal" hunting rifles is the clear winner.  (get it???? CLEAR winner!!!!!).  I am on a "buy American" kick, so it is hard for me to recommend, but given your choices, Swarovski.  

Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2008 at 08:54
A friend had one on his .338 M70. I sighted it in for him and thought the glass was great. The clicks were crisp and the movement was spot on when adjusting.
The zoom tube ended up with some issues and SONA took care of it. I think it was just one of the occasional TGW's that all manufacturers put out once in a while.
I think that particular model is one of the top choices for an all around big game rifle. It is a definite step up from the 4200, Monarch and VX-III class of scopes.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2008 at 08:48
What do you AV owners think of the plex reticle it seems pretty "thin" to me.  Much thinner than the Conquest 3-9X40 and even thinner than my CL 3-10X50.
take em!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2008 at 08:50
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

What do you AV owners think of the plex reticle it seems pretty "thin" to me.  Much thinner than the Conquest 3-9X40 and even thinner than my CL 3-10X50.

I like the Swaro plex myself. We probably have longer shots though were we hunt for blacktail; for me, sometimes a thicker reticle seems to cover up too much of a well placed long shot. I like the thicker reticles, 4a & 7a for low light and up to around 200 yards.

Edited by mike650 - December/01/2008 at 15:21
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2008 at 16:58
FWIW, I have the Swaro 3-9X36 AV on a super lightweight 7mm WSM and a buddy of mine has the same scope on his Tikka T3 .300 WSM.  Although these rifles might not qualify as "heavy kickers," they aren't exactly .22's either.  Neither of us has had any problems.  They are great little scopes!  I also have the 3-10X42 AV on my .300 Win Mag, and I've never had a problem with it either.

I wouldn't have a second thought about mounting the 3-9X36 on anything short of the .338 Lapua/.338 Ultra/.340 Wby recoil class rifles for sure.

I say go for it!Thunbs Up

Edited by RifleDude - December/01/2008 at 17:01
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Buckma View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 10:33
I have one mounted on my 444P marlin and stays true.  I know I know to much scope for the gun, BUT I love the lower profile of the 36mm.

anyways its a great scope and mines an older (9-10 years) one and still going strong!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic