OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BSA Mil Dot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshmb1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BSA Mil Dot
    Posted: November/24/2008 at 14:55
What does everyone think of the BSA Mil Dot scope?  I'm looking for an inexpensive scope with high magnification for target shooting.  My concerns are the scope holding its zero on a .308.  I'm not worried about low light shooting only about clear optics.  Anybody used this scope and what are your opinions?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 16:24
I would stay away from BSA scope.  Their quality control is pretty aweful and optics are anything but clear.

What is your price range?

ILya
joshmb1999 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshmb1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 16:35
i'd like to stay around $150 or less if possible.  I know that's hard to do but i'm really only looking for a high magnification scope for target shooting.  Any suggestions?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 16:48
First of all, I would advise that you do not get too stuck on high magnification.  Combination of high magnification and crappy glass is not going to help you shoot good groups.  You will be better off with a lower magnification and higher quality glass.

Take a look at Sightron S1 3-9x40 and Vortex Crossfire 4-12x40.

If you can extend your price range to $200, Sightron S2 3-9x42 is head and shoulders above anything you can get at a lower price point.

ILya

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshmb1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 16:54
thank you for your replies...i currently have a leupold vx ii 3-9x40 on this rifle and i want to be able to see the target better at 100 and 200 yards that is why i am looking into higher magnification scopes.  the reply about crappy glass and high magnification is the kind of feedback i am looking for.  i am very new to rifle shooting so i really know nothing.  please keep the advice coming!

Josh
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 17:16
If you already have a vx-2 on it, you will not be well served by replacing it with a high magnification $150 scope.

Save your money for a bit longer and get a higher end scope when your finances allow it.  Do not get too crazy with high magnification though.  I would suggest you save some money and get one of many excellent scopes available right around the $400-$500 mark: Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44, Nikon Monarch 4-16x40, Sightron S2 Big SKy 4-16x42.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshmb1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 17:18
what's the thinking behind not going to higher magnification? i'd like to understand the "why's".  thanks
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 17:29
In order to make a good image with high magnification, you need higher quality glass and mechnics.  The simplest way of looking at it is that high magnification tends to both magnify the imperfections in the glass and require much tighter mechanical tolerances.  On top of that, as you increase magnification, the exit pupil of the scope decreases and usability drops down.

There is an FAQ section on this forum.  If I were you I would spend a few minutes looking through it:

http://opticstalk.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=25

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshmb1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 17:31
thanks so much.  i'll be checking out the faq part now!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2008 at 18:16
Listen to ILya, SAVE up and get better glass.  The "cheap" scopes are cheap for a reason, quality is LOST in a number of areas.  Do without for a while, save some money and buy an EXCELLENT scope from SWFA at a discounted price... You'll thank me later.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
flashpoint View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flashpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2008 at 05:15

You are in true Kickboxer, I wished a Yukon,Millet and BSA scope.I found this forum and got info about products,quality.Today I have  a Nikon Monarch 2,5-10 50 and a Zeiss Conquest 3,5-10 44.I m very happy with the buy,these scopes are very ,very clear

I knew then ,Yukon doesn t exist really (I contacted to staff Yukon USA and confirm they don t make and scope...so it s born in China ,uffffffff)
And BSA you ve read opinions, yet
I ve spent a little more money but I don t need buy twice

(Kickboxer ,has you tested muay? )
yeah
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2008 at 21:55
Originally posted by flashpoint flashpoint wrote:

You are in true Kickboxer, I wished a Yukon,Millet and BSA scope.I found this forum and got info about products,quality.Today I have  a Nikon Monarch 2,5-10 50 and a Zeiss Conquest 3,5-10 44.I m very happy with the buy,these scopes are very ,very clear

I knew then ,Yukon doesn t exist really (I contacted to staff Yukon USA and confirm they don t make and scope...so it s born in China ,uffffffff)
And BSA you ve read opinions, yet
I ve spent a little more money but I don t need buy twice

(Kickboxer ,has you tested muay? )
I fight and teach Muay Thai.  I trained with Chai Sirasute and Dan Inosanto and a number of others.  Master Chai is perhaps the epitome of a Thai figher. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2008 at 08:26
Listen to the masters they won't steer you wrong. I know that you will be really happy with BETTER GLASS. I learned the hard way myself.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic