OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

3-9x40 Monarch revisited

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3-9x40 Monarch revisited
    Posted: November/23/2008 at 11:21
I took the 3-9 Monarch I put on my .260 M7 SS last year http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8437 out again this season. I managed to take a buck at 9:30 AM on opening day with the combo.
As I have mentioned before, the optics are very crisp for this price range. I was able to see branches that could have ruined a shot at the bell, which was 6:59 AM EDT. This is a half hour before sunrise here in MI.
A slight problem arose at daybreak regarding the reticle, though. I could see branches with the scope in the dim light but the reticle was hard to pick up. There was movement going on around me, mostly deer. If a shot had presented itself in this lighting it would have been tough to make.
I also had a few friends up with me. One had a 3-9 4200 and the other a Monarch like mine only with BDC. We all agreed that all the scopes were more than adequate for low light except maybe the reticles.
I also had my 7 mag with a Kahles 2.2-9x42 C along. This scope has the 7A reticle and it is far better in the lowest light than the other three scopes mentioned here. The reticle is more than heavy enough to use in heavy cover in the dimmest of lighting.
To sum things up. I am still very happy with this scope. I will continue to buy scopes in the 4200, Monarch and VX-III class. What I will change is my choice in reticles. The heavy plex types or 4A will be far better for my type of hunting. With these reticles I will be able to take the shot that the glass allows me to see.

Doug

Edited by tahqua - November/23/2008 at 12:13
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 15:29
Thank you, Doug.

Did you or your friends feel that the BDC was substantially worse than the other two reticles (Nikoplex and Multi-X?) in low light or was it about the same?

The Kahles reticle you refered to is laser etched too, correct?
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 15:38
I recently tried the Pentax Whitetails Unlimited 3x9 with the Twilight plex reticle, and really liked the bold  , heavy reticle...I also like the 4200's , etc , but agree on the need for a reticle that "stands out" a bit better
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 17:03
I felt the BDC was a harder to see in low light than the plex. I think the circles are very thin. This type is probably best for more open country. I am sure I will end up with some type of comp reticle eventually.
The Kahles is a FFP etched.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 21:53
Well, the Burris Signature Select 1.5-6x40 has a TAPER PLEX reticle. Ive had a Zeiss Conquest with Z-PLEX reticle and to my eyes the two reticles are identical. If you like the heavy Z plex reticle then you will like the TAPER PLEX reticle. The only difference I see is the center (inner) plex in the middle of the TAPER PLEX isnt as thin lined as the Zeiss Z-plex is in the middle which in my opinion makes it a bit better. The big difference is the Conquest has the etched reticle while the Burris is a wire. The only thing I dont like about the Burris reticle is that you can see the reticle wires extend past the outer edges of the view through the scope, I dont know if this is normal or not but I have noticed it in another Signature Select I peered through once before.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2009 at 12:48
I bought a new Monarch 4-16x42 with BDC.  Not sure how I like the BDC.  I am developing loads for it now.  I have not seen a Monarch in 3-9.  Does Nikon still make it or did they drop it in favor of the 2.5-10?
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2009 at 12:51
the team primos is a monarch 3x9 with bdc
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic