OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fixed power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixed power
    Posted: November/23/2008 at 10:30
What companies make good fixed power scopes?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 10:51
Originally posted by brav302 brav302 wrote:

What companies make good fixed power scopes?

Lots 'o companies make good fixed powers. We'll need your budget and shooting situations to really help you any further, friend.  
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 10:59
I would say around 600 bucs.  Shots out to 250 yrds most under 100 yrds.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 11:00
On what rifle?.....Your cartridge?.....Estimated ranges?.....Type of terrain?......Budget?.....Kind of game?...........We need all the good stuff here!Thinking 
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 11:03
Short easy answer - Zeiss Conquest 4X32. I have one on my go to deer rifle. I LOVE IT!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 11:12
Shorter answer IOR 4X32      $369   Big Grin
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 11:51
Leupold makes great fixed power scopes. The 4X FX-II is $270. http://www.swfa.com/pc-3614-94-leupold-4x33-fx-ii-riflescope.aspx
For your ranges the 4X is a fine all around choice.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:04
Ed, you always have been a little shorter than me!
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:23
 I have a conquest 3-9x40 and it is good but not as good as I'm looking for.  Its not very clear at the edges.  Does the IOR have better glass than the conquest?  Would I be better getting a Kahles CL 2-7x36 or Swarovski 3-9x36 they can both be found for around 600 bucs too.  Then there's the meopta meostrar 3-10x50 under that price too.  I was just leaning towards the fixed power since I figured it would be a little brighter with fewer lenses and lighter.  I'm really looking for a step up from the conquest.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:29
If you want a step up from the Conquest, then the Swarovski and Kahles are it. Both have excellent glass.
My brother just ordered the same Meopta from SWFA. He made his decision based on a lot he has seen here at O.T. I look forward to shooting with it. It sounds like a winner, too.

Edited by tahqua - November/23/2008 at 12:34
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:36
a 4x ior is a good value at a sub $400 price, doug is right though if you wanna go big or go home fixed power scope swaro and kahles are the shizzle
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:39

Bucky
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 13:18
Originally posted by brav302 brav302 wrote:

I would say around 600 bucs.  Shots out to 250 yrds most under 100 yrds.
.................I`ll throw a nice wrench into the equation (fan) on this one.

As you state; "shots out to 250 yards, most under 100 yards."

But also consider this. Depending on the scope maker, the fixed 4x`s generally give a FOV from between 24' to 29' @ 100 yards. If your target is within the 100 yard range, the FOV will be less. The closer the target, the narrower your FOV will become. A wider FOV decreases acquiring and aiming time.

Out to 250-300 yards, 4x to 5x is ideal. So why not consider the best of both worlds for better versatility? A scope that can be magnified down for shots within a 100 yards or less, offering a wider FOV of 66' or better @ 100 yards, while offering 4x to 5x on the high end for the longer shots!!

If it were me, I`d choose the 9.5 oz 1.5-5x20 VX3 or the low variable Sightron Big Sky over the fixed 4x and pocket the difference.

Yeah! The 4x IOR`s, Meoptas, Zeiss`etc have the somewhat better glass; granted. But you`ll still fill your tags just fine and doing so with better all around versatilty, speed and quickness.   

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 13:42
Re: larger FOV. I agree that it can be better to have a variable or low-power scope for close-in shots. However, you have to remember to dial it down for those conditions. A 4X is a compromise but a reasonable one.

Re a quality scope: I'm happy with my Leupold 4X but if I was doing it all over again would get the better glass of an IOR, Kahles, etc. In my case, I've decided to save the $$$ for a new scope on a .338 next year.

Jon
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 14:17
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Re: larger FOV. I agree that it can be better to have a variable or low-power scope for close-in shots. However, you have to remember to dial it down for those conditions. A 4X is a compromise but a reasonable one.

Re a quality scope: I'm happy with my Leupold 4X but if I was doing it all over again would get the better glass of an IOR, Kahles, etc. In my case, I've decided to save the $$$ for a new scope on a .338 next year.

Jon

Thunbs Up
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 16:23

Jon
...........It helps to have a good memory!. But on the other hand, I always have my magnification set on the low power, then go up as needed.

4x or variable? There`s compromising in both. I prefer to have slightly less quality in glass, but more than good enough, while maintaining better FOV`s, speed and versatility from 10-25 yards to 250-300 yards............
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 17:41
Well, in my case the only times I've ever had problems musta been memory related! I once left a scope on 9 and surprised a whitetail buck at 25 yards. Even when he stopped at 40-50 yards away I had a devil of a time getting a bead on him. The other was when the one time I hunted with my M1 Garand (using soft point bullets). My buddies couldn't believe that I could hit anything with iron sights so I dialed it out to 300 yards and hit a deer-sized rock. But when it came time to shoot a real deer, I got within 75 yards and the first two rounds sailed right over his back before I remembered.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 17:59

Well, in my case the only times I've ever had problems musta been memory related! I once left a scope on 9 and surprised a whitetail buck at 25 yards. Even when he stopped at 40-50 yards away I had a devil of a time getting a bead on him. The other was when the one time I hunted with my M1 Garand (using soft point bullets). My buddies couldn't believe that I could hit anything with iron sights so I dialed it out to 300 yards and hit a deer-sized rock. But when it came time to shoot a real deer, I got within 75 yards and the first two rounds sailed right over his back before I remembered.
that sucks! thats like setting your scope out at 9x to look at an object a long ways out and then the big one walks out in front of you at 30yds and all you can see is hair!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 19:47

.....................Whoops!.........Went to the range and left your scope on the 9X? Then came a surprise while on a hunt?.....Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin.........That same thing happened to me 30+ years ago. That was the last time!

With a variable, I always keep it on the lowest setting right up until the shot. If I need to go up in magnification a little just before the shot, it takes only a second to adjust which I do while looking through the scope.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 20:53
I had my Conquest out tonight, Looking at the edge of the woodline (mostly pines) with the natural eye, thing looked dark, almost black. (It was a "tad bit" after legal shooting time) When i looked through my scope, it was as though I could see into the trees - very impressive. - not sure what my point is other than I love my scope! This Much  GREAT low lightperformance
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic