OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR One Piece Scope Mounts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR One Piece Scope Mounts
    Posted: November/21/2008 at 19:59
I'm looking for a one-piece scope mount. What are you giving up with the lower priced mounts, e.g., Armalite/RRA/Wilson vs. JP Enterprises/LaRue?

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 01:13
Good question and I don't know the answer but most on the AR sights sing the praises of LaRue so that's what I ordered. 
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 08:39
the Larue is great if you need a quick release mount that will return to zero
the JP is what I use because I don't need the QR function, and it's a tad lighter, very stiff and touch and  holds zero

some of the cheaper stuff looks, well cheap, or cludgy
I tried one cheap mount, the CAA and could feel the scope move when I pressed on the forward part of it, not confidence inspiring

this guy did a great writeup
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 09:56
I just got a new LaRue mount for my TA47.  I did consider going with the ADM mount as it was ALOT less $$$ when you factor in their MIL/LEO discount.  But I went with the LaRue as that is what I've been using over the last few years with other optic types and they have never let me down. 

What kind of glass are you looking to mount? 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 10:41
Originally posted by Yak Yak wrote:

I just got a new LaRue mount for my TA47.  I did consider going with the ADM mount as it was ALOT less $$$ when you factor in their MIL/LEO discount.  But I went with the LaRue as that is what I've been using over the last few years with other optic types and they have never let me down. 

Thunbs Up

If I had the flat top version AR-15, LaRue would probably be my choice too. 

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Valjean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 10:45
Originally posted by Yak Yak wrote:

I'm looking at several scopes right now. I started with the Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 and Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50; but I've decided to stretch my budget, so I'm looking at these:

Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30X50 mm
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50 mm
Leupold VX-III 8.5-25x50 mm
Sightron SIII 8-32x56 mm

I'd be interested on any feedback regarding the 6500 and the SIII. I see the other two scopes locally, but I doubt that I will be able to find a dealer who has the 6500 or the SIII in stock. I've searched this forum on the 6500, but I haven't done the SIII yet. I'm open to other suggestions, but the Zeiss is the top of my budget.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 11:07
The Armalite one piece mount is a good solid mount. It is what I use on all of my AR-15's and AR-10's as well as my AR-50. And I have had no problems what so ever. POI has always been dead on.

And FYI I was going to use a JP one piece on my JP-15. But after talking with the guy at JP I am not sure. He said that their is no difference as far as functionality or ruggedness is concerned with the JP vs the Armalite. I prefer the appearance of the JP over the Armalite, but it is slightly higher and I prefer the lower mounting. So we will see.

Also when you say Wilson are you refering to Wilson Combat? If so everything I have seen from them is first rate.
Valjean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 11:54
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Also when you say Wilson are you refering to Wilson Combat? If so everything I have seen from them is first rate.

Yes, it is Wilson Combat.

Thanks for the comments on the Armalite. It helps. I'm trying to determine what the extra money buys. In the case of the JP, it's appearance and an extra 0.25" in the centerline.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 12:22
that's a nice honest response from JP
I just think it looks nice and clean

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 13:21
This is valuable info.  Would it help others better if posted in the "rings and bases" section?
Valjean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 14:11
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

This is valuable info.  Would it help others better if posted in the "rings and bases" section?

I didn't know that there was a "Rings and Bases" section when I posted the question. (I didn't scroll down.) Maybe a moderator will move the thread.
Valjean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 14:46
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

that's a nice honest response from JP
I just think it looks nice and clean

I agree. That's why I'm leaning toward JP.

Did you lap the rings?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 15:12
nope

I even removed the scope, then the base
put it all back together and checked, perfect return to zero
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 19:48
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

nope

I even removed the scope, then the base
put it all back together and checked, perfect return to zero

But will it do that (return to zero) everytime?Wink
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 23:44
point taken
I don't remove my optics often though
mfilippello View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2008 at 11:16
Originally posted by Valjean Valjean wrote:

I'm looking at several scopes right now. I started with the Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 and Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50; but I've decided to stretch my budget, so I'm looking at these:

Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30X50 mm
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50 mm
Leupold VX-III 8.5-25x50 mm
Sightron SIII 8-32x56 mm

I'd be interested on any feedback regarding the 6500 and the SIII. I see the other two scopes locally, but I doubt that I will be able to find a dealer who has the 6500 or the SIII in stock. I've searched this forum on the 6500, but I haven't done the SIII yet. I'm open to other suggestions, but the Zeiss is the top of my budget.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2008 at 11:31
Huh, I was trying  to quote and it posted straight away. Anyway.

I just went through all of this outfitting my Remington r-15. The Armalite is nice but a tad low. The Larue's are the cats meow but pricey. You also have to look at the eye relief of the scope you end up with and what stock you have. I mounted a DMS to mine with the fixed stock and A.R.M.S. 22H QD rings directly to the rail as far forward as it would go and it sits perfect. I can not get any closer to the charging handle because of the stock. If it was a colapsable stock, then I would need it further forward.

I see someone posted the link to all the one piece mounts. That is an awesom thread. At the bottom is another option. GG&G makes two scout rails. One allows room for a BUIS at the back of the stock rail, the other covers all the way to the rear. If you mount this, you can use any low QD rings and have enough options to get the correct height and eye relief. Since you are using the .50 hight rail, you will most likely end up with low or Med rings and could then swap the optics to another bolt action and not be too high.

I just purchased a SIII 6-24x50LRMD. awesome sope. Great glass, great feel to the turrets. I would definately look at this scope. 100moa as well and good eye relief. I was looking at this and the elite 6500 and chose this. The 4200 is a great scope. the only downside is the 45moa but if you don't plan on shooting past 600 or so you would be fine. And even if you did, EGW make a 20 moa base like the GG&G for the AR. The you just throw the scope in some QD rings.

Hope this helps
Valjean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2008 at 17:22
I decided to go with the GG&G GS-1 and Burris Signature rings. The line of sight will be 1.42". I went with the Bushnell 4200 6-24x50. I have another 4200, the Bushnell was about $150 cheaper, and I could not find a Sightron SIII in Houston.

Thanks for all the responses.

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2008 at 20:37
cool
have fun with it!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2008 at 20:42
Originally posted by Valjean Valjean wrote:

I decided to go with the GG&G GS-1 and Burris Signature rings. The line of sight will be 1.42". I went with the Bushnell 4200 6-24x50. I have another 4200, the Bushnell was about $150 cheaper, and I could not find a Sightron SIII in Houston.

Thanks for all the responses.

what height rings did you choose to get that height? the 4200 is a fine scope. great glass and more than enough elev for 223. if you need more just use the posi inserts for the burris rings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic