OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone eat deer nuts??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone eat deer nuts??
    Posted: November/20/2008 at 22:36

I just read a great thread titled "Is deer liver good to eat?"

Reminded me of our situation.  I'm assuming many of you eat hog, calf, turkey, etc fries.  At least you are aware that it is done.  Well... it occured to me a couple years ago that I never heard of anyone eating deer fries.  Being adventuresome as I am, and knowing how good the above mentioned are, I figured I'd try the deer nuts.
So, someone in the group got a buck and I extracted the nuts.  When I went to gather them to take to the house, I realized that the dog had taken them.  Bummer, wait till next year.
Next year, another buck.  Honest story - the dog got them too.  At this point, I figured I must be right, they must be good.
A whole year later, this process was done with more care.  We got them to the table.  Yup.... They were mighty fine.

This year, our group actually had 7 decent bucks.  Pretty good mess of eating there.

PS - Turtle nuts are pretty good too,  Sweeter, but dang they are small.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 00:19
Welcome to the OT robbie!!!

I have eaten things from all over Asia, Africa, Ozzieland, P.I. never have I eaten any Animals Nuts that I am aware of.  I may have mind you, but I was not aware of it at the time.   LOL  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 05:07
In South Africa it is considered a bit of an aquired delicassy. When we were at Agricultural School we used to castrate the lambs. This was always a day of great excitement as the juniors were initiated by being served the testicles.
In later life I have never been that hungry to try them again.
Certain folk swear they are an absolute delicassy.
I will stick to heart, liver and kidneys thank you.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 07:16

The only "Nuts" I'm touching are my own.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 07:24
Sure. Oh wait, I thought it said "B"eer nuts.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 09:29
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 09:31
Deer nuts, ummm no they run to fast
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
9-point View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9-point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 10:00
well at least the price is right, there under a buck.Big Smile
Its better to be judged by twelve than carried by six
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 19:50
Well, I have had plenty of Rocky Mountain Oysters, but never had "deer" nuts.  Not sure I want to.  But I do love elk heart!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 20:42
Originally posted by 9-point 9-point wrote:

well at least the price is right, there under a buck.Big Smile

That was clever, cheesy, but clever.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 20:45
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Well, I have had plenty of Rocky Mountain Oysters, but never had "deer" nuts.  Not sure I want to.  But I do love elk heart!

How do you cook the heart??  I've never tried that but heard it was good.  Is it tough?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 21:15
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

How do you cook the heart??  I've never tried that but heard it was good.  Is it tough?

Sliced thin and fried.  I just put a little salt on it.  I was surprised it wasn't tough from the way it looks.   It really tasted just like an elk steak.  I would never touch a liver out of an elk though.  Too many liver flukes in it.  Just wrong to eat liver in my opinion.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 21:17

Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

Sliced thin and fried.  I just put a little salt on it.  I was surprised it wasn't tough from the way it looks.   It really tasted just like an elk steak.  I would never touch a liver out of an elk though.  Too many liver flukes in it.  Just wrong to eat liver in my opinion.

I'll have to give that a try.  Mine will be a deer heart, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 21:21
Should be about the same.  Hope you like it.  Keep us posted.  I am hoping to get a deer or elk tomorrow that I can get the heart and eat it!

GEORGE WASHINGTON
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 15:28
I prefer cashews. Thanks anyway.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 02:34
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 17:20
Those are not squirrel nuts. Definitely not squirrel nuts.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic