OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for AR-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for AR-15
    Posted: November/19/2008 at 18:40
I'm looking at the Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 and Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50. I'll be using it for target shooting. No hunting.

1) Are there any strong pros or cons for these scopes? I'm leaning toward the Nikon because it is a little shorter?

2) Will a 50 mm objective fit on an AR? I'm leaning toward the Warne Ultra High rings.

Thanks.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 19:12
I think you could take 10 people and 5 would slightly prefer one over the other, the other 5 would be the opposite.. in short, they are neck and neck in terms of optical quality

as for rings, most people prefer on an AR to have the scope mounted further forward for proper eye relief than what is allowed with just rings on the flat top.

if you feel you need the quick release and RTZ, then get a Larue or ADM
both will run you about 200 bucks

you can use a small riser with some extended rail over the forearm and a set of 1/2" high rings.  most risers are 1/2" so that with a 1/2" high rings puts your center line of the scope at 1.5" above the top of the rail.  Same height as irons.

I like the JP Rifles 1 piece mount, doesn't have a QR function but I have taken it off, put it back on and had a perfect RTZ.  They are a bit lighter and are very stiff and tough, and cheaper

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 19:16
the monarch will have better eye relief which for me from a bench posistion i really appriciate myself i own monarchs and a 4200 but not in the 6-24, and optically they are very close, the eye relief for me from a bench is a huge selling point.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 21:31
What type of AR are you looking to put glass on?
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 21:33
P.S.  Welcome to the OT!!!Smile
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 22:12
I'm partial to the Monarch X. Great scope, you really don't need that much magnification with the glass quality of the Monarch. The eye relief is a precious comodity with any AR platform also.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Valjean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 22:31
Originally posted by Yak Yak wrote:

What type of AR are you looking to put glass on?

Rock River Coyote
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 10:08
what is the primary usage?
varmints at a long distance, target, calling in yotes?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 10:35
I don't think either of those scopes have the glass quality to be very usable at 24x.  You need some pretty nice glass to work good at those high powers.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 01:17
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I don't think either of those scopes have the glass quality to be very usable at 24x.  You need some pretty nice glass to work good at those high powers.
I find my Bushy 4200 6-24x50 very usable at 24x.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Valjean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 10:47
Originally posted by Valjean Valjean wrote:

I'm looking at the Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 and Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50. I'll be using it for target shooting. No hunting.

1) Are there any strong pros or cons for these scopes? I'm leaning toward the Nikon because it is a little shorter?

2) Will a 50 mm objective fit on an AR? I'm leaning toward the Warne Ultra High rings.

Thanks.

I've decided to stretch my budget, so I'm looking at these:

Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30X50 mm
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50 mm
Leupold VX-III 8.5-25x50 mm
Sightron SIII 8-32x56 mm

I'd be interested on any feedback regarding the 6500 and the SIII. I see the other two scopes locally, but I doubt that I will be able to find a dealer who has the 6500 or the SIII in stock. I've searched this forum on the 6500, but I haven't done the SIII yet. I'm open to other suggestions, but the Zeiss is the top of my budget.
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 20:05
Sightron SIII 8-32x56 mm--
I havent used this model from them but as a whole SIGHTRON optics are one of the best values going in optics today IMO.  All the optics you named are good a serviceable but for me the SIGHTRON stands out for their quality and value (Im NOT saying the others do not have their advantages so put the Flame Thrower away please folks, thanks!Big Smile    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic