OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

45/70 marlin which barrel length is better

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 23:13
I dig my guide gun :)

Edited by ccoker - December/09/2008 at 23:13
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 23:55
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I dig my guide gun :)

................A real nice "Squeezer Special"
realist View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2008 at 15:42
Great  looking rifle ! 
and what kinda yardage range do you feel your guide gun shoots the best for you.
I really like the black.
awesome.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 07:52
I have the Guide Gun in 45/70 (18.5) Barrel it is fast handling and easy to carry.  I might opt for a bit longer barrel if you plan on 200 yard shots..I would not go too long because the beauty of the little lever actions is their fast handling charastics. 

The nice thing about the .45/70 is you have a great many loads available to you. From soft loads loaded to Blackpowder stats to full power house Garrett or Buffalo Bore that nip at low end .458 ballistics. 

I have Buffalo Bore 405gr loaded to 2000 fps and they are FUN Big Grin kick a bit (more of a big push not a sharp jab) and they sound like the clap of doom when they go bang....should work for Elk, moose, bear or even Godzilla
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 16:12

Hey everyone, I know this is a little off topic, but  I was out this afternoon sighting in my new Marlin 1895G in 45-70 and had it jam on me for the second time in a week. Both times the jam occured while i was trying to rack another round into the chamber. The round gets caught between the top of the magazine tube and the extracter arms and pinned there at an angle. I cant figure it out. The first time I took it to a gunsmith who knocked it loose and he told me to make sure I broke in the lever well and to keep it oiled but not gunked up. I have since got the lever working extremely smoothly and the reciever/bolt are both cleaned and lightly oiled. The gun worked flawlessly for the first 9 shots and produced three very respectable groups and then suddenly jammed when I tried to rack in a round to start my fourth group...? I cant figure it out, I'm familiar with lever guns in general, and I have shot a marlin lever in 22LR since I could hold a rifle so I'm pretty sure I am not doing anything terrible wrong in the way I am handling the rifle. Does anyone have any suggestions or share this sort of experience?

-Michael
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 16:15
I had a marlin .357 do that same thing to me shortly after I bought it.  I took it back to my gun store and they sent it back to the factory and then Marlin sent me out a new gun.  Not sure what was wrong, I just had a new gun about a month later.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 16:23
Marlin never said what exactly the problem was? I'm not keen on sending it back and having to pay shipping and handling etc if I dont have to, particularly since I have just got the scope sighted dead on despite my jamming troubles. I wonder whether the problem with your's and probably mine is a mechanical problem or simply a problem of break in or something along those lines...?
-Michael
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 16:28
I honestly have no idea what was wrong, the action would just jam up real tight like that.  My gun shop took care of everything for me, I just dropped it off and he called me about a month later and said they sent me a new rifle.  I guess since I buy some many guns from him he figured he would take good care of me. 

Its funny, I started with a Winchester 94 .357 and it broke the same way so my gun shop traded me for the marlin and it was screwed up as well so I got a new Marlin and it has worked great.  Several months later I got a Henry .357 for my dad for his birthday and it had the same damn problem so my gun shop sent it back to Henry and they sent us out a new one as well.  All 3 of them did the exact same thing.  The rounds would jam on an angle going into the chamber.  Weird in my book.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 16:39

Yeah I agree. I wish I had taken a picture so I could show yall exactly what I am talking about because I really cant understand how it jams. Its almost like the extracter arms are pressing up on the shell before it gets entirely out of the magazine tube because it just gets pinned there and the lever locks. Both time the round had to be tapped backwards until it came completely out of the magazine and into the receiver. Maybe the cartridge length is a problem for this style of action, I've never had anything like this happen on my 22LR which has the same action but obviously a MUCH MUCH smaller cartridge.

-Michael
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 16:42
My 45-70 has work flawlessly though.  I have used 5 or 6 different types of bullets and never had a problem.  I would call Marlin and see what they say, its not much of a gun if it does that all the time.

martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 18:24
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

My 45-70 has work flawlessly though.  I have used 5 or 6 different types of bullets and never had a problem.  I would call Marlin and see what they say, its not much of a gun if it does that all the time.

Same here   -- nevere an issue ..give Marlin a holler
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic