OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles CL 3-10X50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles CL 3-10X50
    Posted: November/17/2008 at 10:36
This isn't an all encompasing review but I still wanted to post some observations.  Got this scope off the samplelist this past spring and other than sighting in, this past weekend was the first time I got to use it in a hunting situation.  Before I purchased this scope, the best scope I owned probably would be a Weaver Grand Slam 3.5-10X50.  Honestly, I didn't really notice a big difference while sighting in this scope compared to some other scopes I have, namely a Conquest 3-9X40, 4200 3-9X40 and a Buckmaster 3-9X40.  Except for the Kahles has bigger FOV or eye box.

Since I live in town, I was not able to do any real low-light tests, since city folk get a little uptight when they see a guy pointing a rifle towards their house.  But this weekend while deer hunting, I was able to do that and this scope is AMAZING!!!  I was using the scope with the variable set to 4x - so the 50mm objective really didn't have an advantage over the other scopes as the exit pupil would have been maxed out on all scopes.  It's hard for me to put into words how much this scope seems to "add" light!  There was quite a difference even compared to the Conquest and absolutely no contest compared to the Buckmaster!  You should have seen my kids expression after looking thru my scope!  It's like there is a light on inside the scope - well, not inside the scope, but like someone shined a light on the target! 

I was able to look at a deer against a wooded back drop and had absolutly no issue with the reticle!  It was plainly visible - I was initially concerned about this as it seemed like it might be too thin.

Comparitively speaking, I spent about 3 times more on this scope than any previous scope I own and I would say it was worth every penny!  I won't be going out and replacing all my scopes, I just couldn't afford to do that, but I'm glad I got this one!
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 15:55
Thanks for posting your observations, Todd!

You mentioned that you were concerned the reticle might be too thin for low light use, but in your testing, it wasn't.  Which reticle do you have?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 16:44

Nice, simple to the point review, I also am very happy with the two Kahles scopes I own.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 08:20
Thanks for that.
Kahles scopes seems to be very nice, something I will definately consider on my next purchase.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 12:06
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

You mentioned that you were concerned the reticle might be too thin for low light use, but in your testing, it wasn't.  Which reticle do you have?

Just the regular old "Plex".
take em!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 12:19
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Just the regular old "Plex".

If the Kahles plex is like the Swaro plex, it's basically a thin duplex. I really like that style reticile where we hunt.  Thunbs Up

Edited by mike650 - November/20/2008 at 21:56
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Tifosi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 22:35
Bought a  CL 3-10X50 MZ recently really like the glass it's amazing in low light.

Registered it on the KAHLES site and got this email a few days later

With the impending sale of Kahles Optics by Swarovski Optik, Legacy Sports International has chosen to cease the sale and serived of Kahles riflescopes and binoculars effective November 1, 2008. For warranty issues, please contact Swarovski of North America by telephone at 866-606-8779, by email at info@kahles.at or by mail at Kahles Repair, P.O. Box 21004, Cranston, RI 02920-1004.

Legacy Sports International

-----Original Message-----

****This appears to have been generated by the registration transaction

Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 2:29 PM

To: Kathy Lumsden

Subject: KAHLES Product registration via Webinterface

ME

ADDRESS
UNITED STATES

SC

Phone (home):

Email: .net

Product: Riflescope

Model: CL 3-10X50 MZ

Serial Number:XXXXXXX

UPC Code:XXXXXXXXXX

********END OF MESSAGE************************

I called the phone number listed in the e mail and got a recording in German

No Spechinze Duresche

So I sent an email to the address listed in the above email but no reply yet.

I spoke to a Customer Service rep at Swarovski who told me try the above actions
she was very helpful. Swarovski and Kahles are owned by different members of the same family.

I'd buy another Kahles tommorrow

But I will never buy a product distributed or serviced by Legacy Sports International,  They apparently can't foward the regristation for to a company the had a relationship with 

Keep skunks, bankers and lawyers at a distance.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 10:06
Thanks for posting this.

Beginning 1/1/08, SONA really has nothing to do with Kahles other than, from past dealings with Kahles and Lagacy Sports, their trying to assit people in contacting Kahles.

The 866-606-8779 number is to Kahles in Vienna.

Per SONA, it's suggested that if you email Kahles to give some time for a reply back.

I agree, SONA is extremely helpful, even when their not obligated to; the current Kahles debacle is good example.

Edited by mike650 - November/19/2008 at 14:48
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 15:49
Good man, Todd. Thanks for your review.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 18:30
Thanks for the review, Tip. My own experience with Kahles glass is similar.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic