OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris-Made in America?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris-Made in America?
    Posted: January/13/2005 at 17:11
I used to think Burris was made in America... I just bought a spotter and the sticker on it says MADE IN CHINA. I was kind of disappointed.  Is this the same for their scopes?  I also was surprised the spotting scope was only covered by a one-year warranty.
jonnyringo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonnyringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 18:09

Fullfield ll scopes are not made in China but some other Asian country (maybe Singapore). They are suppose to be as good as the ones made in the states. I just bought a Burris FFll 3x9 and 20x50 spotter. The scope appeared to be better quality than the spotter but they practically gave the spotter away.

Personally, I like Nikon, Bushnell 3200/4200 (formerly B&L), Leupold and the old Redfields. The Fullfield ll was my first Burris.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 20:56

I am not sure how it goes for spotters, but for rifle/pistol scopes this is what I know:  the only Burris scopes not assembled in the US are the ones in the Fullfield II/Free Spotter packaged deal.  Those are assembled in the Phillipines out of the same components.  Burris uses Japanese lenses which are then shipped to their Colorado facility.  I believe that they polish and apply coatings in-house.  Similarly, various internal non-glass parts are manufactured in US and sent to Burris for final assembly.  All scopes that are not in that packaged deal are further assembled in the US.

I do not know if their binoculars and spotting scopes are also assembled in Colorado. 

Ilya

Edited by koshkin
KYHunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 22:15
It is not that I expected much from the spotter...  I only paid 50 bucks for it and got a free tri-pod to boot..  Amazing deal..  It appears to work fine.  I just thought I was getting an American product, something that ussually never means anything to me... I just though Burris advertised as an American Company...  So much for advertising!  I bought 4 compact scopes and put them on various guns I have, I have been pretty happy with them, although the eye releif is almost too much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic