OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold MK4 CQ/T

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soon2bLEO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold MK4 CQ/T
    Posted: November/16/2008 at 11:31

Any thoughts about this setup: I've ordered bought, but do not have in hand as of yet.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15X
Leupold MK4 CQ/T scope

The M&P15X comes with a Troy rear sight. Suggestions from others so far have been an Aimpoint ($400) as the iron sights co-witness. I liked the Eotech 557.AR223 with a 3X FTS magnifier ($900). Again I have nothing in hand or have I actually looked through or touched, going on specs, suggestions, looks etc.. Came across a brand new in box MK4 CQ/T for $600.00 (could'nt pass up the deal). I should have the M&P15X and MK4 CQ/T by the end of the week. I hope I like the set-up. The Aimpoint co-witness appealed to me, Aimpoint also has a 2X. As far as the Eotech I mentioned above, read somewhwere that reticle when magnified was a con (pros/cons). Any issues with the front sight or does the MK4 co-witness? I assume I have remove the rear sight. Any thoughts, suggestions, enhancements are appreciated.

Thanks
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2008 at 23:37
Get Your Popcorn Ready

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/03/2008 at 02:53

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 01:36
Leupold CQ/T is a very serviceable scope.  While it is probably not my favourite, a lot of people like it.  1x is good for close range.  3x gives you some reach.  The reticle is pretty well visible even when the illumination is off.  There is no cowitnessing with the CQ/T, but I would put some sort of BUIS on.  A lot of people like Troy sights.  Others like ARMS.  I generally do not like ARMS rings very much, so I stayed away from their other products as well (except the SWAN rail which seemed pretty well made).  I have also had good luck with GG&G.

As for S&W AR-15, I have no personal experience with it, but so far it seems to be well made and reliable.  Time will tell of course, but it looks like reliability is unlikely to be an issue.

As Wes correctly pointed out above, practice is key.  It looks like the gear you picked can serve you well.  Once you get it in your hands, stock up on some ammo and put in some hard work practicing.

ILya
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 03:32

S&Ws AR is nice.  Not sure how the first production run was as far as quality (I've heard a thing or two, though Wink ) but the new guns run just fine and are a good buy IMO. 

Now, for me, the CQ/T is a mixed bag.  It's nice and fast with a good FOV when set at 1X.  Its only after powering it up to 3X do things get a little goofy.  It is here (at 3X) that the CQ/T runs into problems such as ER changing (not the same as it is at 1X) and a narrow off axis viewing ability.  I think a lot of this is to do with its 14mm objective lens which is rather small compared to other optics in its price range.  One nice touch the CQ/T has that is not available in other optics with magnification is the use of a AA Battery as its power source.  Leupold claims its good for 600hrs and if true is an improvement over many other LPV optics in that 100hrs of run time seems to be the norm.  Also, bin the OEM mount and get either the LaRue or the A.R.M.S. mount for your CQ/T.  Just my opinion, sir.    Yak 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic