OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Katmai

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini14gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Katmai
    Posted: November/15/2008 at 18:49
I noticed that some Katmai series binos say Wind River Katmai and others say only Katmai.  Is there a difference?  If there is I can't tell it.  Does anyone know?  
NightFighter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NightFighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2008 at 19:26
Not sure on the name, but I confirmed a few months back that they are made by Light Optical Works in Japan.
mini14gb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini14gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2008 at 20:12
I can handle made in Japan that's better than made in China or Taiwan by a damn site. I'm looking to compromise size and weight. I currently own a pair of Zeiss Victory 10x40 that are truely awesome. I've owned them for about 5 years. However they are a tad heavy hunting the mountains of Western Montana since I have developed a pinched nerve in my neck. So I'm selling them on ebay currently. If anyone is interested to look at the auction just type in the search box this item number: 190266978061
mini14gb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini14gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2008 at 20:14
I can handle made in Japan that's better than made in China or Taiwan by a damn site. I'm looking to compromise size and weight. I currently own a pair of Zeiss Victory 10x40 that are truely awesome. I've owned them for about 5 years. However they are a tad heavy hunting the mountains of Western Montana since I have developed a pinched nerve in my neck. So I'm selling them on ebay currently. If anyone is interested to look at the auction just type in the search box this item number: 190266978061
mini14gb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini14gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2008 at 20:15
Sorry for the double post not sure how that happened.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 15:28
Although it is a good binocular, I think you would find the Leupold Katmai to be a pretty poor replacement for your Zeiss Victory. 

I understand your desire for a lighter weight binocular but, I think you may need to look for something a little higher-end to get a comparable view.  Some possible options might include:

Leupold Golden Ring 8x32
Leupold Golden Ring Switch Power 7&12x32
Meopta Meostar 8x32
Pentax DCF ED 8x32
Pentax DCF SP 8x32
Swarovski SLCnew 8x30
Zeiss Conquest 8x30
Zeiss Victory FL 8x30
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
mini14gb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini14gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 18:15
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Although it is a good binocular, I think you would find the Leupold Katmai to be a pretty poor replacement for your Zeiss Victory. 

I understand your desire for a lighter weight binocular but, I think you may need to look for something a little higher-end to get a comparable view.  Some possible options might include:

Leupold Golden Ring 8x32
Leupold Golden Ring Switch Power 7&12x32
Meopta Meostar 8x32
Pentax DCF ED 8x32
Pentax DCF SP 8x32
Swarovski SLCnew 8x30
Zeiss Conquest 8x30
Zeiss Victory FL 8x30

I don't doubt they are not Victory's to say the least.  I have taken a pair outside and used them at local sporting goods store.  They are pretty good but I agree they are not Victories.  However price vs. size and weight?  With it all mixed together I don't think they are a bad replacement.  I get a good bino thats smaller and lighter and recover a ton of cash. 
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 11:53
Originally posted by mini14gb mini14gb wrote:

I noticed that some Katmai series binos say Wind River Katmai and others say only Katmai.  Is there a difference?  If there is I can't tell it.  Does anyone know?  

Originally the older models used BK-7prisms, the newer models were upgraded to BAK-4 prisms.
mini14gb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini14gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 12:52
Ok, thank you very much for that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic