OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Vari XIII vs VXIII

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Vari XIII vs VXIII
    Posted: January/13/2005 at 08:15
     I know that the new leupolds are stated to be brighter and clearer along with having more user friendly features. Does anyone know if the new Leupold VXIII is that much better than the older models? Does anyone own both models and done a side by side comparison to see? I just want to know if they are worth the extra money over the old ones and I am curious how well they compare to say a Elite 4200 and Nikon Monarch for the Price. I know they are suppose to have a better warranty service but it seems like a lot of people on this forum dont feel they are a better value optically or dependability wise. Lets say for arguments sake that all three scope brands were the same price for similar models. Now which scope brand has the most to offer for the price?
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 11:28
Your Elite 4200, as well as the Monarch are superior optically, and equally as tough as the VXIII at a better price.  The Zeiss Conquest is better also.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 12:44

Does anyone own both models and done a side by side comparison to see?

Grubbs must have missed this part of your question.  I have a Vari X III 3.5-10X40 and the same scope in a VXIII.  The VX III is improved.  It seems to be a little sharper, and mechanically (adjustments, etc.) it is better.  Smoother clicks, etc.  They didn't just give the old scope a new name, but it's not a huge difference; the Vari X III's were already great scopes.  As far as which is better, you'll get a lot of opinions here based on...........nothing, really.  They are all good scopes, but based on the two Monarchs I've owned, I wouldn't put them in the same class with the Conquest, VXIII or 4200. 

I'm one of the few here who likes Leupold.  Here's why: 1. I've used them for 40 years with never a problem, never a missed opportunity or shot (that I could blame on the scope).  I've never needed their famous customer service.  2.  I like their designs.  For example, I like to have a zoom ring to turn, not the whole eyepiece, as in all the "European" styles; Burris is included in this too.  Their scopes aren't bigger, longer, or heavier than they need to be.  3.  I trust the opinions of experts.  The great majority of custom rifle makers recommend Leupold, or a $1500 Zeiss or Swarovski.  On their dangerous game rifles, or anything that kicks like a mule, they recommend only Leupold, and only a fixed power or the 1.5-5X.  Looks at what comes on the new Nosler Custom Rifle ($4000); a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36.  This is my favorite scope, by the way.

Bottom line - If I had a 4200, a Conquest, a VX III and a Monarch to choose from, I'd take the VX III everytime, but I'd be glad to get any of them, but would leave the Monarch til last. 

carolinaflats View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 14:32
the FAQ section lists differences between the Vari-x and vx scopes, its pretty informative.
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 15:13
mwyates,Old habits are hard to break.  You probably drive the same brand vehicle as your father did.  I used to be like you and think Leupold was the one and only, god's gift to scopedom!  I did grow up however and learn to think on my own and experiment with other scopes and guess what, I found out that there were scopes equal to and better than Leupold!  Scopes like the Bushnell 4200 and Burris Signature in my opinion, lined up side by side, are better scopes and usually less money.  I have a Leupold LPS 3.5-14x50 and a Tasco Titan in 3-12x50.  You can't tell the difference in clarity when you look through the two in fading light and I think the Tasco is a touch brighter!

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 15:49
Nice work gozarian.  I have 3 Conquests, and a swaro a-line.  None of the 4 do you have to turn the whole eyepiece to zoom in....none.  There is a ring just like the almighty Leupold.  The only thing Leupold did "better" was raise the price significantly (better for Leupold, that is)  I have in fact looked through a friend of mine's Monarch....better thank Leupold VXIII, especially in low llight, swaro a-line...like comparing a Yugo to a Lexus in every possible way,  Conquest had better light gathering at dusk and more eye relief, and my 6 year old Pentax Lightseeker also blows away the almighty VXIII.  The Elite 4200 was at least as bright as the Conquest, but not as much as the SWaro.  That sums up my personal observations, in the field.  I have never had to use the warranty on any of them.  All of them (except the Swaro) can be had for equal or less money.   
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 15:50

Actually, I just put in another post that I have 17 scopes, and only 4 are Leupold.  Several are Burris (1 Black Diamond, 1 Signature Safari, 1 FFII, and 2 2-7 handgun scopes.  A couple fo old Redfields.  The others are old Bushnells and so forth that are not on rifles and never will be.  I have owned and gotten rid of Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Conquest, and Kahles American.  All of these scopes were lacking in some respect; usually NOT image quality (there's more to a scope than that).  So, you're wrong.  I'm not just doing what I've always done.  I do like Leupold, but I'm open and unbiased, unlike many here, who I'll bet my hat have never shot a rifle with a VXIII, much less owned one. 

So, how about being repectful of others opinions?  I have never placed a negative post here.  It's possible to state your preference without ridiculous statements like "________beats__________ every time".   When I read something like that, I know the writer doesn't know what he's talking about and assume he's probably not old enough to vote, or drive.

Speaking of driving, my Dad drove nothing but Chevys.  You'll only find me in a Ford

jonnyringo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonnyringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 18:24
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I'm one of the few here who likes Leupold.  

I own three Leupolds. All fixed power. A 4x, 6x and a 12x.

I also own the  a few  (B&L) Bushnell 3200's (3x9 and a 10x fixed, used to own a 2x7 and a 5x15x50), Monarch 3x9, old Redfield Golden 5 star 3x9, and a Burris FFll 3x9.

I can say that Leupolds make a fine scope that hold up under recoil. I use a 4x on my 11-87 shotgun and shoot Active 1 1/8 oz. 3 inch mags.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2005 at 14:46
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

So, how about being repectful of others opinions?  I have never placed a negative post here.  It's possible to state your preference without ridiculous statements like "________beats__________ every time".   When I read something like that, I know the writer doesn't know what he's talking about and assume he's probably not old enough to vote, or drive.

We've all done a good job so far keeping the personal attacks to a minimum but as the group gets larger and larger I don't know how long it will last.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2005 at 14:47
Leupold FAQ post that covers the difference is the VX-III and Vari X-III
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic