OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles MultiZero question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles MultiZero question
    Posted: November/13/2008 at 14:22
I'm considering one of their MultiZero scopes. What I can't tell for sure from the information I've found is: Do you have to remove the turret cover to dial in one of your other zeros out in the field?

Thanks,
Jon
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 14:38
yes, but according to the manual, the cover is not needed as the turret is dust and water sealed

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 15:08
Thanks. So I suppose when I'm out hunting I could just leave it off while hiking around. I should have asked this along with my first question, but I assume dialing in another zero can be done by hand...no tools needed?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 15:44
correct
here's how it works in short
there are 3 positions on the top of the turret (elevation) , A,B,C  that you use the tool to change
set to A, dial in the scope, set to B, turn turret  counter clockwise until it stops,
this is now your base setting (say at 100 yards)
turn to C, and dial in your longer distances (say 2, 3, 4 and 500 yards)
at each distance, you hold the turret and use the side of the tool to spin these 4 little rings on the  turret, each has a notch, align the notch with a mark on the scope for each ring to index your  distances

really, the base setting functions as a zero stop, then as you click up to the 4  settings you have notches for the distances

if at the base setting of 100 yards, rotate to the desired yardage marking (or between if you want)
 to get back to 100 yards, rotate counter clockwise until it stops

Edited by ccoker - November/13/2008 at 15:46
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 21:12
Like ccoker said there are 3 modes on the top of the turret.  Set to Mode A and zero the scope

In Mode A the turret acts like any other scope in that it will adjust POI up or down as needed.  After zeroing then move to Mode B with the red thingy and rotate counterclockwise until it hits an internal stop.  The 100 yard or 200 yard (your preference) is then set and your zero can not be lost.  Then use the red thingy to rotate to Mode C

You can then raise you point of impact at the longer yardages with the turret.  Once you sight in at one of the longer yardages then you set the marks with the red thingy

On one of my MultiZeros I have a zero at 100 yards and then have the first mark set for 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards.  This is what you see when it is against the internal stop at the 100 yard zero

this would be 300 yards (the turret turns by hand)

What I really like about the scope is that it is easy to set the scope for any yardage, like 340 yards

or 450 yards

Put it on any rifle and shoot it in to any trajectory.

Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
pell1203 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pell1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 21:18
Just an additional note to ccoker's post... be aware that you will be limited to only one revolution of elevation adjustment before you run into the back of the zero stop when setting the longer distances. For example, with a .308 caliber, if your initial zero is set at 100 yards, your max possible zero mark will fall somewhat short of 600 yards. Just wanted to mention this in case it was important to you to shoot out to 600 yards.

What I did to allow me to dial up to 600 yards was to set my base zero at 200 yards. I was then able to set the additional zeroes at 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards. In this case, you run up against the elevation adjustment limit somewhere around 650 yards.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2008 at 09:55
Wow! Thanks for all the great info, guys. For the .308 168 gr. Nosler BT/ 44 gr. Varget round I'm shooting ranging out to 500 yards is probably all I'm going to need. I would take a shot on an antelope that far out but stay within 300 yards for elk. I'd be fine with a 200 yard zero since the round would only be 2.1" high at 100, but just have reservations about the power of a .308 load out beyond 300 on a large animal.

Jon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic