OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Possible Elite 4200 problem?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Elite 4200 problem?
    Posted: November/13/2008 at 13:46
When I change the magnification on my Elite 4200 the crosshairs follow the ring a few degrees, then seem to straighten. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 14:08
Are you sure you're not seeing a distortion of the image caused by parallax?  If you've not properly adusted the parallax it could theoretically distort the image as the magnification changes.  I'd try adjusting the parallax and see if it goes away first.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 10:02
This is a rotation of the reticle. Not much but it's there, and only while moving the magnification ring.  Once you release the ring it straightens up.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 10:24
I have never heard of an effect like this, but it is definitely not right and implies some whiplash in the erector tube positioning.  I would call Bushnell customer service.

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 09:03
Ditto what koshkin said, that is not normal
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2008 at 14:26
Thanks! I'll give 'em a call after the Holidays. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2008 at 14:27
Please keep us posted.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2008 at 08:40
Called the Bushy folks. They said send 'er back. Right in the middle of deer season. Dang! I'll update as I know more.
Buckma View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 10:30
Only if they would send you one to use for deer season while they fix yours Bandito

hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2008 at 19:23
I have the Elite 4200 and must say it has done a few hunts out in the rain & snow over the years without any problems.Sounds like a problem with the erector send it back after the hunting season as it would take a couple of weeks for them to repair your scope.My scope still works but I noticed it getting a little sluggish with using the magnification so it well head back for service also. 
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 06:41
I replaced it with a Conquest 2.5-8x32 to finish out the season. I'm in no real hurry to go back to the Elite after using the Zeiss. I need to buy another rifle for it so it doesn't go to waste. I wonder if my wife will buy that excuse?
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 06:50
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

When I change the magnification on my Elite 4200 the crosshairs follow the ring a few degrees, then seem to straighten. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.

Roll on Floor Laughing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic