OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Yellow tint in burris'?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow tint in burris'?
    Posted: November/12/2008 at 17:39
I have picked up a used 1.5-6 burris signature.  Everything looks good mechanically and has a clear, crisp image.  However, the picture has a definate yellow tint.  Other than that, everything looks good.  Any ideas why the yellow color?  I've been told that it is normal for burris' to have this.  I just can't figure out why they would produce quality scopes that are have the yellow tint, while other manufacturers' scopes are clean and bright.  Is this something that can be fixed?
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 18:25
Can you duct tape a Zeiss on the ocular end of the Burris?Big%20Grin
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 18:43
No%20Pics
take em!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 19:13
Yellow helps pop the contrast in low light and foggy weather.  That why people like to use Yellow, Orange and even Deep Red for black and white photos.  Wear yellow shooting glasses on a cloudy day.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 19:50
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Yellow helps pop the contrast in low light and foggy weather.  That why people like to use Yellow, Orange and even Deep Red for black and white photos.  Wear yellow shooting glasses on a cloudy day.
So you're saying that this is normal?  Makes sense, I suppose.  It's just that all of my other scopes in this price range are clear without any yellow.  I've got a FFII that I don't recall seeing any color in.  Just a feature that's new to me, I guess.  I understand the contrast issue you mention, but I didn't know any major manufacturers sold scopes that are already tinted.  I thought that was always done aftermarket.

As for pics, I don't know how to post them, so let me draw you one...
Imagine looking through a monarch at a white wall.  The wall looks white.  Imagine looking at the white wall through a 4200.  It still looks white.  Look at the same wall through the signature in question.  Wall looks yellow.  And everything else looks more yellow as well.  If I was able to post pictures, I would post one of the white wall and another of the white wall taken from a camera wrapped in yellow saran wrap.  Is that descriptive enough to convey my problem without the absolute neccesity of pictures?  I just hate to start pointless threads.   Wink
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 20:35
I'd really like to see that yellow saran wrap! 

My .02 would be that it should not have a yellow tint - I don't think that's normal!
take em!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 22:42
I have never seen a Sig Sel with a yellow tint.  Seems odd to me.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 22:48
Is it a Signature or Signature Select? some early Burris Signature scopes had this yellowish tint, but it is not present in newer ones.

ILya
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 22:55
I have only looked through one old Signature.  I don't remember a tint to it, but that was long enough ago, that I can't really say one way or another.  I thought it had pretty good glass.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 23:00
Slight yellow tint does not mean it is bad glass.  For years Swarovski binoculars had slight yellow tint because it helped to see better.  Some of the best IOR porros I have seen in the past also had slight yellow tint.

ILya
Mustang-PaPa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang-PaPa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 10:33
Another good visule aid might be like looking at WHITE snow and YELLOW snow. Also remember that in a pinch you can get by with eating the white snow but never ever eat the yellow...Clown
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 18:41
The end of the scope box says "Burris Signature Series   100% Made in the U.S.A.   HI-LUME LENSES   1 1/2x-6x PLEX   200700"   and then a barcode.  I'm guessing the objective to be a 32mm.  Doesn't say on the scope or box.  I'm sure it has to be an older one.  So, Koshkin, you believe this may be original and not a flaw?  Had it out shooting today on a mL II and it never flinched.  Seems solid enough.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 18:49
1.5-6x32 was the original Signature made before Signature Select.  I recall it having a slight yellow tint.  In this scope, I think, the turrets are quite a bit closer to the objective bell than to the ocular, right?

ILya
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 19:12
Bingo.  And the turret clicks have a value of 1/2"  at 100 yards.  Learned that the hard way during sight-in.  It wasn't listed on the dials, but there was a sticker in one of the turret caps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic