OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low recoil deer rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low recoil deer rifle
    Posted: November/11/2008 at 15:19

Looking for a new deer rifle for the Pops. He has had a pacemaker and will not shoot as much as he use to. Doctor has cleared him to hunt, but he has not picked up his 06 since. I have loned him a 243, but I want to get him something alittle bigger and I would like my rifle back. Any suggestions, I was thinking 7mm-08 but he has been fond of the 25-06 but I dont know to much about this caliber, I have alway had a .243 just could not find any use for the 25's.

We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 15:30
How about something like a 6.5x55. Mine is a real easy kicker and good for deer and moose.
God save the Empire!
BayouBuck View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 15:49

How hard are the bullets to find. I have looked at the ballistic and the bullet weight is good, but was woundering if you can get bullets at Academy or Gander Mnt?

We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 15:52

Need some input from some of our southern friends on here.

Boys?
God save the Empire!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 15:53
Originally posted by BayouBuck BayouBuck wrote:

Looking for a new deer rifle for the Pops. He has had a pacemaker and will not shoot as much as he use to. Doctor has cleared him to hunt, but he has not picked up his 06 since. I have loned him a 243, but I want to get him something alittle bigger and I would like my rifle back. Any suggestions, I was thinking 7mm-08 but he has been fond of the 25-06 but I dont know to much about this caliber, I have alway had a .243 just could not find any use for the 25's.

.................For your Pops, physically make things as easy as possible for him and for sure go with the 7mm/08. The perfect deer caliber.

A shorter action than the 25-06, generally means a somewhat lighter rifle than the 25-06. I`d also take into consideration the easier handling, lighter and more compact rifles available in the 7mm/08, like the Remy 7, the Ruger Frontier (like mine), a 20" Browning A-Bolt, etc.........Something along those lines.

These imo, would make things easier, better and certainly a more ideal package for your Pops!..Wink
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 16:19
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

.................For your Pops, physically make things as easy as possible for him and for sure go with the 7mm/08. The perfect deer caliber.

Thunbs%20Up

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 17:02
Here`s a good article for you & your "pops" by Dick Metcalf.

You can use a conventional scope, a scout or a red dot with this rifle.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 17:26

Bayou Buck, your instincts are good.  You can't go wrong with either 7-08 or the .25-06.  It just so happens that my two favorite deer rifles are chambered for those 2.  Recoil is mild with both.  If I had to make a preference, I would go with 7-08.  Just a well-balanced, efficient, accurate cartridge that isn't fussy to handload for, and it will handle shooting duties well beyond what its size would seem to indicate.  For all practical purposes, it is a ballistic twin of the classic 7X57 Mauser.  It really isn't too far behind the .280 in performance, and will pretty much handle anything that you'd use a .280 for, with less recoil.  Bullet selection for 7mm (0.284) is better than for 0.257 as well, so you have quite a few good options if "Pops" is a handloader. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 18:13
I agree, the 7-08 is really catching on, low on recoil, usually a light rifle, excellent performance,  good selection of ammo.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 20:18
+1 to the 7mm-08.  Great round for deer, hogs etc.  Easy to find ammo, with several choices. 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 20:20
IF the ranges are not to long, then a .260, 6.8 or a 7.62x39 CZ 527 may be good answers.  Dare I say 30/30?  The .257 Roberts also come to my mind.

The main problem with recoil is not during the hunt.  It is getting sighted in on the bench.  Most people with heart problems bruise easy from all the blood thinner they take. Getting him used to a gun that is light and does not cause him to flinch is the rub.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

garrett1107 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garrett1107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 20:46
I own both a 25-06, and a 7mm-08.  I have taken many deer with both, and even a bear with the 25.  They are pretty equal as far as recoil goes.  If range is a factor, the 25-06 may be a  better choice.
BayouBuck View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 21:21

Thanks for all the help. The artical in shooting times shows the stock on the scout rifle being 1/2 inch shorter the the standard Ruger. His 06 is one of the old Tang saftey so I think he may be the right rifle for him. NOW would it be better in 260 or 7mm-08? With the short,, light rifle would one have more recoil than the other.

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 23:55
Originally posted by BayouBuck BayouBuck wrote:

Thanks for all the help. The artical in shooting times shows the stock on the scout rifle being 1/2 inch shorter the the standard Ruger. His 06 is one of the old Tang saftey so I think he may be the right rifle for him. NOW would it be better in 260 or 7mm-08? With the short,, light rifle would one have more recoil than the other.

..........Metcalf reports in that same article, that the LOP on his 7mm/08 test Frontier is 1/2 inch shorter than the full sized Ruger stock. Actually, my 300 WSM Frontier`s LOP is 12.5 inches, which is about an inch to an inch and a quarter shorter than most full sized stocks. Much easier and faster to shoulder with less liklihood of getting the stock`s butt caught in the clothing.

In my `08 Ruger Buyers Guide catalog, there is no listing for the 260 Remy in either the Frontier compact or the regular compact. They do show the 243, 7mm/08, 308, 338 Fed and the 358 Win. Ruger may have discontinued the 260 Remy just like they no longer chamber my 300 WSM in the Frontier. I haven`t checked their website. Their catalog which I have and their website, may not be in sinc.

For your dad, the 7mm/08 Frontier should be a very comfortable rifle to shoot and especially easy to carry around on the hunts. I don`t believe the recoil will be that much greater with the 7mm/08 vs the 260 Rem. If you`re going to reload for him or if he reloads his own, the charges can be altered or adjusted to achieve the best comfort level for recoil. I really doubt that he`ll have a recoil issue with the 7mm/08. If so, do what I do. For the bench, I use a slip on Limbsaver recoil pad. Really cuts down on any felt recoil. Though it does have some real good kick, it turns my 300 WSM Frontier into more of a pussycat! It has substantially more recoil than the 7mm/08.

The regular compacts (non-Frontier), if still available in the 260 (NIB leftovers), only allow for a scope to be mounted over the receiver. The Frontiers allow for both; an over the receiver integral built-in mount AND also a scout base which is included from Ruger already secured on the barrel. That`s the beauty & versatility of the Frontier, which no other bolt rifle in a compact or otherwise can give you. It can virtually be adapted to any terrain condition with a regular scope, a scout scope, the red dots or whatever.  

Your dad will be able to sling this rifle over his shoulder with the muzzle below the top of his head. Real sweet in the timber and brush! He`ll also be able to walk around with his arms down at his side, carry the Frontier by the pistol grip, muzzle pointed straight down while having plenty of ground clearance for the muzzle.

Metcalf`s velocity findings of only a 4.5% difference is very true as my own chrony results have shown. In fact, my rifle`s velocity in certain identical re-loadings does come to within 3.8% of the longer 24" 300 WSM barrels I have tested. Like Metcalf says; only a 4.5% loss from a barrel that is 31% shorter than a 24"er!! Based on his figures with his 7mm/08, I calculated only a 16.4 fps loss for every inch of shorter barrel length. Any deer won`t know the difference.

Even for its youth dimensions, it is still quite comfortable, nimble and very fast even for a full sized adult (like me) to handle.

If you go with either Ruger compact, "pops" will be very happy!

rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 06:57
My buddy just bought a new Rem 700 XCR in 7mm 08 with the new improved sissy pad on the end. All kidding aside, its a pleasure to shoot. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for young or old shooters who are recoil sensative.
RK
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 08:00
The .260 has a great balance of low recoil and plenty of power for any deer there is.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 15:31
my vote would be for either:

BAR Lightweight Stalker in .270 - weighs about 7 lbs 6 oz

Remington Model 7 in .260 with its 20" barrel and 6 lbs 8 oz.
take em!
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 20:56

Pick a caliber and go for it! Just make sure you add a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad To the end of your rifle. I put one on my Ruger 77 and man is it a pleasure to shoot!! Made my 350 Remington Magnum a real pussy cat. 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by garrett1107 garrett1107 wrote:

I own both a 25-06, and a 7mm-08.  I have taken many deer with both, and even a bear with the 25.  They are pretty equal as far as recoil goes.  If range is a factor, the 25-06 may be a  better choice.

huh?? how do you figure? the 7-08 has way higher b.c. than the 25-06, the 25-06 is like a .35 b.c and the 7-08 is more like a .48 b.c. you should look at a ballistics chart the 7-08 will out preform the 25-06 at long range easily at 500yds the 7-08 with a 140gr bullet is still well over 1000ftlbs of energy where the 25-06 is under 1000ftlbs with a 120gr bullet. i would take the 7-08 all day long especially in a rifle like a rem model 7.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 09:10

I have a 7mm/08 Winch 70 compact I gave my oldest son and it has proved an ideal combination of minimal recoil and knock down as he was growing up ...Worked great.. That being said, he started out with an H&R 30/30 handirifle that also proved to be a excellent starter for him ... I like the old cartrdige, especially with Horandy's latest offerings.. I know it lacks the range of the 7mm/08, but out to 150 yd.s , it works just fine.

Edited by martin3175 - November/13/2008 at 09:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic