OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope and recticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope and recticle
    Posted: January/11/2005 at 18:50

I am trying t decide between, swarovski,schmidt & bender, and kahles.  scope will be going on a sako 300 wsm synthetic stainless.  It will be used for whitetail and out West hunts.  Also having trouble deciding on a recticle.  I like the #1 for Schmidt and bender, the TDS for swarovski and #4  for khales.   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Pibb
Pibb
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 05:31
How about the P3 reticle on the Schmidt&Bender?  Which Swarovski and Kahles are you looking at , the 1 inch or 30mm tubes?

Pibb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 05:48
Thanks for replying gozarian.  I was beginning to think I would never get a reply.  I am actually now considering the 2.5x10x56mm Zenith Schmidth&Bender with a #1 recticle.  I was considering the 30mm tubes in the others, but I am really liking the Schmidth and Bender.  Any suggestions?
Pibb
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 15:55
I really think the Swaro PH series are the best scopes known to mankind at any price, and I'm not a big fan of these rangefinding reticles.  I have a Swaro A-line 3-10x42 which is absolutely fantastic, so I'm even more partial to that particular scope, although I've never actually hunted with the Swaro PH's I've looked through some.  I do need to admit I've never looked through or personally seen a S&B scope, but I hear great things about them too.  I do feel, however, that the 30mm tubes are not worth the extra bulk or cost.  Just my opinion.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 16:39

Originally posted by Grubbs Grubbs wrote:

I really think the Swaro PH series are the best scopes known to mankind at any price, and I'm not a big fan of these rangefinding reticles.  I have a Swaro A-line 3-10x42 which is absolutely fantastic, so I'm even more partial to that particular scope, although I've never actually hunted with the Swaro PH's I've looked through some.  I do need to admit I've never looked through or personally seen a S&B scope, but I hear great things about them too.  I do feel, however, that the 30mm tubes are not worth the extra bulk or cost.  Just my opinion.

I liked, LOVED my old S&B w/ a L7 lit reticle!!

But, Grubbs has a great point here about the Swaro A-line. A super scope, for a fraction of the cost of a Swaro PH, S&B, Zeiss, ect.

I personally like 30mm tubes for adjustment reasons, but on a hunting scope, a 1" tube is fine. The lightweight A-line is just the ticket for that Sako. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2005 at 04:21
Pibb, I really like Swarovski's too but I think (and have heard this from others) that the S&B's are a lot tougher.  John Lazzeroni used to shoot Swarovski's and really loves their glass, but now shoots S&B's because they are the only ones that can hold up to the punishing recoil; Burris is right there in the tough department too; he touts the Burris Black Diamonds for their optical quality and toughness!

That being said, I can't tell you for sure but optically speaking the glass in the Zeiss, Swarovski and S&B are pretty close.  You now have to decide if you like scopes with the reticles mounted in the ffp (magnifying reticle,like most of the european scopes) or the reticle mounted in the second image plane (non magnifying like the american scopes).  Zeiss and Swarovski make both.

I bumped my Swarovski once, and granted it was a good knock, and I had to send it in afterwards for adjusting.  I also  sent a Burris Black Diamond in once after a severe rock smashing incident and all they had to do was replace the lense at the end of the tube.  I have no doubt that the Swarovski would have been "down for the count" after taking the beating my Black Diamond did.  Black Diamonds are bad ass strong scopes that can take a pounding.  Not that I buy a Swarovski to go out and destroy, but sh*t happens when your out hunting! 

I may try that new Zeiss VM/V in 6-24X56 one of these days because I like BIG BAD scopes.   Good luck in whatever you decide on!  You are looking in the right direction whichever one you choose!

Pibb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2005 at 21:49

Gozarian,

Thanks for the information.  I found it quite helpful.  I am going to go with the Schmidt & Bender in their Zenith Series.  The only question I have left is to get the 3x12x50 or the 2.5x10x56?  I don't anticipate ever shooting past 500yds.  Which one would you suggest? 

By the way, the Zeiss VM/V 6-24x56 will definitely be one bad a** scope  what type of  rifle is that going on?  Look forward to hearing back from you.

Pibb
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic