OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nikon Monarch 4-16x 50mm BDC scope, a good buy?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch 4-16x 50mm BDC scope, a good buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boom Stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch 4-16x 50mm BDC scope, a good buy?
    Posted: November/10/2008 at 13:48
Anyone have this scope?  If so, what do you think of it. Also, and maybe most importantly, do you think $389 shipped is a good deal for a brand new one?  And lastly, can anyone think of any scope within $100 that would fit the bill better? (while maintaining at least 14x and 50mm objective?)

btw... before you ask... this scope would serve as a multi purpose whitetail scope sitting atop both a 7mm rem mag and an as yet to be determined caliber ar-15.  I hunt both the woods and fields of Tennessee and have shots out to 700 yds that I am capable of making (however most of the shots would fall in the 100-500 yd range.)  I am actually more comfortable shooting a 50mm scope, so I don't mind the higher mounting, and I prefer higher max zoom capabilities.  So with that information in mind, thanks for any answers you may be able to provide.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 14:39
The Nikon Monarch will do nicely. The glass is very good for the amount of money spent. I have a Monarch X and love the scope.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 14:47
I have a Monarch, but not that particular one. They have great glass, are very bright, clear and resolute. Certainly on par with the 4200`s and the VX3`s.

Good price for the one your looking at.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 15:17

Welcome to Optics Talk. Yep, that Monarch will suit ya.

I did a review on the 4-16x42mm Monarch with the BDC reticle. I realize that it's not the same objective size as the 50mm your considering, but here it is. You may find it useful, or you may not. http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9089

I actually think the 50mm objective may offer better exit pupil than my 42mm.
As you will note in my review, the 42mm Monarch was a little fickle with head positioning. 

Good shooting!  
doctor duck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 05:36
 I just put one on my 300 Win Mag. Same as the one you mentioned except it has the Nikoplex reticle. In my opinion it is a lot of scope for the money. Certainly a good buy at the price you stated.  I assume the one you are shopping for has side focus. The side focus is so much easier and more accessible than AO. I haven't hunted with mine yet, but on the bench it tracks true and is simple to focus and set parralax.

The next scope I purchase will quite possibly be another Nikon Monarch 4-16x50SF. But in all honesty I'm not too crazy about the BDC reticle. I prefer the plex. But that's just my preference.
flashpoint View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flashpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 06:05
I have bought a Nikon Monarch 2,5-10X 50 nikoplex new,itwo week ago,it costs 389$ with UPS service to Spain
I think Monarch with exit pupil 50 has a very clear and resoluty image
I answered which other scope could be better: My other new scope (coming soon) Zeiss Conquest for 430$ (485 with UPS),not another better one  from less money
Other users of optics talk,confirm me the better relation quality&price was for Monarch series

yeah
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flashpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 06:09
A profesional teacher of snipping military school from Spain ,said to me Millet 4-16X 50 (BK81001) was very very good, it s for 350$ in USA. I haven t because they didn t sell to me ,because they said I am from abroad : ) . I respect their politics
yeah
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 10:44
I'd go with this instead:

8707 Kahles 4-12x52 Helia CL Multizero 51733, Matte finish, plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, fast focus eye piece, allows you to zero your scope at five different ranges, close to new condition. $1,392.00 $799.95
take em!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 10:51
That's a far cry from $389 Tip, but you could buy it for me for Christmas if you like. Might PM you my address.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 10:55
Yea - its more than the $100 Boom mentioned - just giving him something to think about!
take em!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flashpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 11:43

See Conquest (44 almost same result 50), for only 430$

yeah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic