OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

weatherby sub moa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcramse2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weatherby sub moa
    Posted: November/09/2008 at 17:54

I am interested in buying one of these rifles but from what i understand the sub moa is just a regular vanguard that grouped well at the factory.  recently i shot a regular vanguard that was a buddies of mine and while most of it seemed to be fine the trigger seemed to have alot of creeks and bumps throughout the pull.  Has anyone else noticed this? Do they change the triggers in the sub moa models?

cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 18:28
One of the magazines did a test in the past year on the most accurate factory rifle..........out of what they tested ......the sub moa was by far the tightest shooting gun they shot. But they said the trigger was terrible !

I thought about getting a .223 one recently but wanted a 1-9 twist and I could not find one in that model...........ended up with a Remington !
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 05:05
Which model of Weatherby are you interested in. (Varminter or just normal hunting type?)

I am having a bit of an isue with a rifle I have recently bought. I think checking at the factory whether the rifle shoots sub MOA is a good practical method of quality assurance. The sub MOA will show all the basics are correct and then with a bit of aftermarket tuning you should have a real shooter.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 06:16
the sub moa is  the rifles that shot very well, then they take the standard stock off the rifle and replace it with a pillar bedded "fibermark" stock and thats about it
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 08:59
I have one of these. Pyro pretty much summed it up. They take an exceptional shooting Vanguard and fit it in to a pillar bedded Bell & Carlson stock. They guarantee .99" or less but only take rifles that group .75 or less. Mine will put a 3 shot group in to about .375 when I do my part. This is with factory winchester powerpoint ammo. I put a Timney trigger group in it. The factory trigger, while not terrible, was not good either. It is a dream to shoot now.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 14:00
The Vanguard sub moa etc are Howa rifles, they are an excellent rifle with a heavy trigger pull. I immediately replaced the factory trigger with a Timmy adjustable drop in trigger and set it at 2 & 1/2 pounds pull. You can get rifle basix http://www.riflebasix.com/ or Jewel triggers that are adjustable for the Vanguard or Howa rifles. I have no complaints with the rifle except for the trigger and that is easily fixed for under $100.  Howa does offer some stocks that Weatherby does not offer.

Duce  Smile
Duce
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 01:48
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

I have one of these. Pyro pretty much summed it up. They take an exceptional shooting Vanguard and fit it in to a pillar bedded Bell & Carlson stock. They guarantee .99" or less but only take rifles that group .75 or less. Mine will put a 3 shot group in to about .375 when I do my part. This is with factory winchester powerpoint ammo. I put a Timney trigger group in it. The factory trigger, while not terrible, was not good either. It is a dream to shoot now.

So yours can do better then this? This is my target shot with Winchester Silvertip 3 shot group using "our most accurate standard production rifles".

Edited by 8shots - November/11/2008 at 02:25
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 06:48
Im not familiar with the sub moa but Ive owned a .270 Win. Vanguard for over 25 years. Everything that was said earlier rings true. The action is a Howa and is very smooth. The trigger is crap. Mine had enough creep in it that you could actually pull it and get it to stop half way before firing. Replace it with a Timney and be done with it. Mine will still shoot 1 inch groups. Most of them also seem to have deep throats. I reload my rounds to just fit down in the magazine and they are still off the lands. This is where mine shot the best. Hope this helps you.
RK
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 17:17
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

So yours can do better then this? This is my target shot with Winchester Silvertip 3 shot group using "our most accurate standard production rifles".

Mine will do about that with the Silvertip, but better than that with powerpoints. I can make 3 holes about touch, or put 2 in one hole, and usually strings the third one left, almost touching the first hole.

Edited by trigger29 - November/13/2008 at 17:17

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2008 at 12:52
IMO there is little reason to pay extra for the Sub-MOA. I own three Vanguards-25-06, 270 WIN, and 30-06. I bought them at Academy Sports in Auburn, AL for $399 each. I mounted Nikon Prostaff scopes on each and they all shoot 1" or better groups at 100 Yds. My point is that Weatherby's quality control process is apparently so rigid they are turning out a solid product across the board . The sub-MOA exception they were pulling out of the production line is no longer an exception but has become a routine. I have three friends who purchased the economy Vanguards recently and have experienced similar results. It is a tribute to Weatherby's production processes. Incidentally, I am not a great shot, so a 1" group was a real bonus!
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2008 at 15:08
Weatherby has had at least 3 or more companies build rifles for them with the Weatherby name on them. I have one that the action and barrel was from JP Sower in Germany and I know the present rifles are from Howa in Japan, I think there was another manufacturer from Japan at one time.
Duce  Smile
Duce
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 16:06
Originally posted by Dshusker Dshusker wrote:

IMO there is little reason to pay extra for the Sub-MOA. I own three Vanguards-25-06, 270 WIN, and 30-06. I bought them at Academy Sports in Auburn, AL for $399 each. I mounted Nikon Prostaff scopes on each and they all shoot 1" or better groups at 100 Yds. My point is that Weatherby's quality control process is apparently so rigid they are turning out a solid product across the board . The sub-MOA exception they were pulling out of the production line is no longer an exception but has become a routine. I have three friends who purchased the economy Vanguards recently and have experienced similar results. It is a tribute to Weatherby's production processes. Incidentally, I am not a great shot, so a 1" group was a real bonus!

I had to purchase the SUB-MOA version. The stainless barreled action, combined with the sweet looking stock just set me off. The sexy engraved magazine bottom metal never hurt either. Just a sexy looking rifle. The accuracy guanantee didn't hurt either.

geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 15:19
I own two Vangards(7mm RM & 270 Win) and two Howa 1500's(7mm WSM & 338 WM).  The factory trigger is the only thing that I could complain about.  This is easily solved with the aforementioned Timney trigger.  All of these rifles will shoot 1 MOA or better at 100 yards.  I did not buy a sub MOA because I felt like I got more value by using the money that I saved to invest in better glass.  The most expensive of the four rifles was the 338 WM.  It is the stainless version with a black Hogue stock.  I paid around $530.00 including shipping.  If you shoot a 223 Rem, then another good bargain is the Savage 10FP.  The factory accutrigger works great and can be adjusted down to 1.5 lbs if you are so inclined to do so.  This adjustment is done with a tool which is supplied with the rifle.  My gun will shoot .25- .30 groups consistently at 100 yards with Sierra 50 Gr BK's or 52 Gr BTHP's.  I have $555.00 invested in this rifle.  
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 15:32

Nice write up!!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 15:32

I had to purchase the SUB-MOA version. The stainless barreled action, combined with the sweet looking stock just set me off. The sexy engraved magazine bottom metal never hurt either. Just a sexy looking rifle. The accuracy guanantee didn't hurt either.

Wink
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2008 at 18:05

Here you go 8. First one is the last 3 rounds of a lot #. The flier is a fouler. If I would have had one more round left, it would have been a nice group. The two touching was typical for that lot, with the third right in there close. I flubbed the fouler pretty good too. It should have been a lot closer to the group. The other group is the new lot number I got. I'm not real impressed with this lot, but they are not horrible. I can hide most of it behind a quarter yet.

Edited by trigger29 - December/03/2008 at 18:07

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 02:29
Thanks for posting that. The lots you refer to, is that factory ammo lots?

If so, with reloading you should get some cloverleaf groups.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 07:49
not only will that rifle shoot better but you will also save money to boot
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 13:54

Thanks for posting that. The lots you refer to, is that factory ammo lots?

If so, with reloading you should get some cloverleaf groups.

Yes factory ammo. The lot this second (triangle shaped) group came from doesn't shoot very well. Groups from the last lot # seemed to be much tighter. This is Winchester Power Point. That just happens to be the cheapest I can find in my area. I'm hoping to hand load some into one holers.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 13:58
im going to go ahead and give you a heads up trigger, dont use standard large rifle primers in that wsm, you will get better results with magnum primers
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic