OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help scope my BigBore Airgun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butcher45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help scope my BigBore Airgun
    Posted: November/09/2008 at 04:52
Hello all,

This gun, and it's hunting applications are not typical of 99.5% of the airguns out there.  My request to the moderators is to please keep this thread here, and not move it to the rimfire/airgun section.

It's time I start seriously saving money for a quality scope for my .454 caliber airgun to replace the cheapo 4X32mm I have on it now.  I have it narrowed down to several low-powered scopes, and have analyzed them extensively on the net until my head hurt, though have yet to look through most any of them.  I do not have any experience to speak of with optics.

This rifle will be primarily set-up for predators called within 50 yards.  I use it occasionally for hunting wild boar, and shooting varmints such as nutria and rabbits out to around 100 yards is a lot of fun.  But the predator calling to within 50 yards is the top priority.  I will be within 50 yards of a decoy, and may have an e-caller on me, so the low magnification, and FOV the 1.25-5X20, and1.5-6X40 type scopes should come in handy.

The conditions I hunt in are usually wet.  This makes me lean heavily towards hydrophobic lens coatings like Sightron, Bushnell. Burris, etc are using. 

This scope will often be used in low-light conditions.  I really, really want the German#4 reticle.  The main problems I have with rimfire scopes with the parallax corrected at 50 yards is that they usually have very fine reticles which will not work in the low-light conditions I will be hunting in, and also appear to be lower quality than what I am looking for.

I would also like to use my existing 1-inch BKL rings, but if necessary I will get some 30mm rings for my 11mm dovetail.

My rifle, and eyes like around 4 inches of constant eye relief.  Since the ranges will be short (mostly 15-50yards), I am very concerned about parallax.  Most of the scopes I am looking at appear to have the parallax corrected at 100yards.  A POI that is an inch off of POA is not acceptable when aiming for a hogs brain, or a coyotes heart for that matter.  I do not want to see any change in POI when the magnification is changed.

Keeping the scope fairly short (around a foot at the most) is pretty important.  Hoping to keep the weight down.  So illuminated scopes weighing 17ounces aren't exactly my first choice.  Then again, if they have everything else it may be worth the trade-off I guess.  My rifle un-scoped weighs about 7.5+lbs.

For an idea of how scopes mount on this particular rifle, here is a picture of it with the BKL 1-inch rings holding a cheapo 4X32mm scope that is advertised to have 4.5 inches of eye relief, and 9.4 inches long.  Note the proximity of the rear sight in fron tof the objective bell.  One more reason a short scope is required.

Here's the price-range, and scopes that I'm looking into thus far.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10609-1511-new-sightron-125-5x20-sii-big-sky-riflescope.aspx

The Sightron looks like the fleas knees to me.  The only problem I can see with it, is the lack of the German#4 reticle.  What a gross oversight.  Surely they will have the German#4 available for this scope soon?  I'll have an aftermarket #4 reticle installed if at all possible if it doesn't hurt the warranty should I buy this scope.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6704-259-zeiss-25-8x32-conquest-rifle-scope.aspx

I hear this scope is available with the German#4 with the parallax corrected at 50 yards.  If that's the case then I might have to go with this one despite the size, and lack of hydrophobic lens coating.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1947-218-nikon-15-45x20-monarch-ucc-shotgun-scope.aspx

I like the 50-75yard parallax settings available on these scopes.  How is the optic quality?  I read somewhere on here that the optics may not be up to par with the other Monarch scopes?  The few pictures I have seen of Nikon's Turkey reticle lead me to believe that it is not a good choice for a low-light scope.  I have heard the NikoPlex has a bolder reticle than most duplex-types.  What do you guys think of the NikoPlex reticle for low light?  Again, no hydrophobic lens coating.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-12680-2201-nikon-2-8x32-monarch-riflescope.aspx

The extra magnification would be nice for observing the impact on critters at long range, and a low of 2X seems acceptable for calling.  Might even have enough room on it left to mount a scope-cam.  Concerned about the NikoPlex reticle for low-light.  Also, it's my limited understanding that short-range parallax issues are multiplied with higher magnification scopes using larger objectives when the factory parallax correction setting is 100 yards.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9026-1206-weaver-15-45x24-classic-extreme-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

Curious about the quality of the optics on this scope.  I'd need 30mm rings, but I like the reticle, seems lighter than most other illuminated scopes.  The price looks pretty good for what's offered.
Butcher45
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 07:35
What about this scope with the coating?

Duce  Smile
Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 07:40
Aimpoint would be a good choice for that type of shooting too

Duce  Smile
Duce
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 08:16
+1 on Duce's thoughts. 

I'd be interested in hearing some of your experiences with this gun....after you get your scope question resolved, how about posting something on the hunting thread.  I've been interested in a large caliber air gun and would appreciate your insight.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 09:36

Really interesting Air rifle,  I think your on the right track with the scopes,  I was thinking a good shotgun scope would be great. 

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Butcher45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butcher45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 13:09
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

What about this scope with the coating?

Duce  Smile

I was looking at that one as well.  The shorter eye relief kinda killed it for me, along with a recent bad report on customer service. 

Plus EVERYONE and their grandma has a 4200Wink

SWTucker, I will find the hunting forum, and throw up some info for you. 

Gotta warn you, though.  Between the extreme accuracy these guns display, and the fact that 250 shots of .454 slugs costs around $35, these bigbore airguns are very addictive.  Your powder-burners could very well gather quite a bit of dust once you cross over to "The Dark Side of the Dark Side" (the Bigbore side of PCP airguns).

Butcher45
Butcher45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butcher45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 13:37
SWTucker, after reading the incredibly PC rules on the "hunting" forum (no blood on a hunting forum?), I think I'll just PM you the info and pics instead.

Butcher45
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 14:46
That is an air rifle I like where do I get one?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Butcher45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butcher45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 14:53
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

That is an air rifle I like where do I get one?

I recommend the SamYang .45 over the DS .50, as the .45 is a bit more powerful and has WAY more ammo available (.45Colt slugs).

http://www.adventuresinairguns.com/big-game-c-3.html?osCsid=70561d14107b9f3b3ac54c6c94456302

Butcher45
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 15:14
If they did not need a compressor capable of 3000 psi and scuba tank for the refills they would be a lot more interesting but you can invest quite a lot before you get to the gun.

Duce  Smile
Duce
Butcher45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butcher45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 16:13
     No compressor here (I WISH!).  I haven't used my scuba tank (which I have filled up at the scuba shop) to fill my rifle in a long time. 

I use the Hill Pump for almost all of my shooting, and carry it with me in a duffle bag.  $280-$300 for a lifetime supply of propellant is not to shabby!  When I start casting my own slugs, things will start getting REAL cheap (pun intended lol!). 

All you really need is the pump, the gun, and some soft lead slugs.  With a sweet scope, of course!
Butcher45
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 18:32
The Leupold 1.75-6x32 with the heavy duplex will work in low light real good. The parallax will not be a problem for the size of critters and the ranges you are shooting at. It will fit in your existing mounts, too. The BKL's are a top choice for air guns, BTW.
Who did the camo on your 909?

Doug
Butcher45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butcher45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 23:55
      I did the camo myself using a very simple technique.  It still needs some bold black tiger-stripes to break it up some more, then I'll be done (I think).

Yea I am glad the gun shop had those mounts when I got my cheap scope.  I heard BKL is no moreCencored

Butcher45
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 00:19
That is an awesome air gun I had no idea that the big bore air guns existed.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Butcher45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butcher45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 02:34
     I hope that some day the scope manufacturers will be putting out scopes specifically made for these bigbore airguns.  The accuracy they are capable off certainly warrants this.  The bigbores are becoming quite popular.  Shoot one, and your hooked!

Here are some groups I shot at lower-power while sitting out in the field.  They were shot off steady stix, and were the only groups I shot that day because I got a late start, and it was getting dark.  .5 inch center to center at 35 yards, and .9 inch c to c at 50 yards.  I put three shot into the same hole about 25 yards off when shooting a mud-bank, again off the stix, after hunting last time out.

Butcher45
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 06:49
Good work on the camo.
I called BKL down in Brownsville, TX and the number is no longer in existence. That's too bad, they made quality mounts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic