OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper vs Sightron SII Big Sky

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper vs Sightron SII Big Sky
    Posted: November/06/2008 at 08:40
Looking at getting a new scope for my new rig. It's a savage SA in .308 sporter, but plan on getting a .260 varmint contour barrel as well for a switch barrel setup. It's in a Stockade Woodchuck stock that I plan on using as a hunting rifle with the .308 and a bench gun with the .260. My range goes out to 1000yrds so I need a scope with good MOA, good tracking, good glass and not too heavy for the hunting part. Good in low light as well for the hunting part. I am looking at these two scopes and was looking to get some opinnions.

Sightron SII Big Sky 4.5-14x44 mildot Side focus

or this Vortex 4-12x40 with dead hold BDC

Possibly the Vortex 6.5-20x44 but wonder if too much low end mag for hunting

How is the glass between these two? Also, how is the glass between the Big Sky line and the new SIII stuff. Are they using the same glass in both.

Mike
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 17:13
Of the scopes you have listed I would prefer the Sightron SII.  As for the 6.5 being too much on the low end it could be if you hunt stalking but if you hunt from a fixed position it would be fine.   The glass difference is a Koshkin question PM him he would probably know as he is a big Sightron fan and has slowly corrupted me.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 06:21
i think you would be very surprised at the vortex, the viper is the top of the line and its a actually got pretty good glass in it, they make some very nice binos at an affordable cost also. plus vortex has a no questions asked warranty. as far as your choice in the powers, if you shoot that far you may very well want all of that 6.5x20 but if you hunt with it close up shots inside of 50 yards could get tricky.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 06:59
I seem to be hard pressed to find an unhappy SII owner. The owner of the local sporting goods store tells me they out sell every other scope he has on the shelf 2 to 1. He could be full of it, but I don't think he has any reason to lie. He carries mostly Leupys though, and one Zeiss Conquest. And prices on those are plenty high. I have no experience with Vortex scopes, although their bino's seem to get good reviews. The 6.5x low end power is kind of personal preference. It would be too much for me, just in case I get a really close shot, but I never shoot 1000 yards either.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
mfilippello View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 09:53
thanks everyone for the input. Everybit helps. I want to buy once cry once.

Mike
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2008 at 08:37
Both Sightron and Vortex offer excellent products at very fair prices, though they aren't as well known as some of the other companies out there, they are well recieved by the people who own them.  With that said I personally favor the Sightron for scopes and Vortex for binos.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 15:14
Here is a PM that I received from the originator of this thread.  He kindly gave me permission to copy it here so that I could reply in an open forum:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The guy who runs the range that I shoot at swears by them and can get me pretty good prices.  I currently have a Millett TRS-1 that I bought for my 300wm. It is in for warranty repair as the elevation turrent stopped functioning. With the Bushnell buy out and no stock to replace it, I am unsure if and when I will get it back. Even then, I am considering selling it. If I do I will need two scopes. If not then just one. I now have second rifle, so I have to put good glass on both. The millet as stated may get reused on one or sold as new and replaced.

I have looked at the Falcon Mence but don't like the warranty and wonder if it would be a step up from the TRS-1 or sideways. I also have looked at the Vortex viper series and wonder how it compares to the SII Big Sky. It is a little cheaper, but I think the Big sky has better glass and turrents. I am also curious how the Glass differs from the Big Sky line to the new SIII scopes. It looks like they have the same coatings, but is the glass better in the SIII scopes, or is the price difference just the feature set?

The two guns I need to outfit are as follows. I would like to get your recommendation on zoom range for the different scopes for each intended use. I welcome any advice you can offer and appreciate your time.

1) savage 112bvss in 300wm. This is a factory gun with the laminate stock and 26" fluted barrel. It has a Ken Farrel base and 30mm rings. This is what the TRS-1 was on. It mostly sees range use and my range goes out to 1000 which I would like to shoot this rifle at. It is a little heavy for field use so only sees bench or maybe prone duty. I have a bipod and front rest that I use with it.  I am looking at either the SII BS in 6x20-50 (60moa) or the SIII 6-24x50(100moa) should I also be looking at the 8-32x56 or this rig or is this overkill?

2) savage short action in a Stockade Woodchuck stock. This currently has a .308 sporter barrel on it for hunting season but will see a different barrel on it for range use. This will be my switch barrel gun. It has a simmons scope to go hunting next week but that is coming off. I have no base or rings for the new setup so clean slate here. I want to keep the gun light for use with the .308 sporter for hunting, but need something with decent magnification for the other calibers(either .260 or straight .284). I was looking at the SII BS 4-14x44 (80moa) or the SII BS 6-20x50(60moa) for this. I will shoot offhand or bipod with this rifle. It may see some 1000 yrd work as well when not equipped with the .308.

Since I won't be shooting long range with the .308 sporter, and since the other calibers fly pretty flat, what MOA is necessary for the short action? The 112bvss will always be equiped with a long range caliber like the 300wm.

I know these are a lot of questions but what the heck. You don't know uless you ask. Big%20Grin
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First of all, I do not have any real experience with Falcon scopes, so I do not really know enough to recommend or not recommend them.  Based on feedback from other people, I think it would be a slight improvement on TRS, but then again, everything that I have read about Falcon did not exactly compel me to buy one.

On Vortex Viper and Sightron S2 Big Sky.  I have a Vortex Viper 4-12x40.  I also have a smaller S2 Big Sky scope, but I have played with a few other varieties of S2 Big Sky line.  Both are very good scopes that I would be very comfortable using. 

1)For a gun that is strictly used off the bench, I would go for something with 20x or more magnification on the top end, so either 6.5-20x or 6-24x or 8-32x would work just fine.  Optically, I think the new S2 Big Sky scopes have a slight advantage over the Viper.  Newly redesigned S3 scopes are a bit better still.  Here you have to make some decisions:
  • How much money do you want to spend? The scopes in question range from $500 to $900 or so.
  •  do you care about eye relief?  Sightron has a fair bit more eye-relief, I think. 
  • What kind of a reticle do you want?  If you are primarily occupied with shooting itty bitty group, if yes then a thin duplex or dot reticle is a good way to go.  If you want to holdover using the reticle, then either a BDC reticle or Mil-Dot is the way to go.
  • For parallax adjustment, do you prefer AO or side-focus.  If you are a lefty AO may be easier.  Most righties prefer side-focus.
  • 1" or 30mm main tube?
  • If you plan to use the knobs for long range shooting, do you want taller knobs? How about clicks: 1/4" or 1/8"?
Answering these question should help you narrow down your choices.  Personally, I think a rifle used mostly off the bench is one of the few situations where a large objective lens is a good tradeoff, so I would go with 50mm or larger.  Top end magnification is probably not too critical since most atmospheric conditions will not allow you to use magnification much higher than 16x or so.  Still, on especially clear days, it is nice to be able to crank up the magnification a bit.  300WM has some kick, but since we are talking about a pretty heavy rifle, eye-relief is probably not a major consideration.  Holdover: personally, I think 1000 yards is a bit too far for using reticle based range compensation, so I would use the knobs.  1/8" clicks are too fine for long range shooting, in my opinion, so I would stick with 1/4" clicks.  All of this narrows the choice down to (from cheapest to most expensive):
  •  Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with either Wide-plex or Target Dot,
  •  Sightron S2B 6.5-20x50 with either Dot reticle or Mil-Dot,
  •  Sightron S3 6-24x50 with either Dot reticle or Mil-Dot and
  •  Sightron S3 8-32x56 with a Dot reticle.
Ultimately, with optics more money gives you better performance.  Whether the performance difference is worth the money to you is a personal choice.  Figure out how much you want to spend and that will help you pick from the scopes above.

Now, onto your second question:
If you want a versatile gun, I would not overscope it.  Truth is that with 10x magnification and good optics you can shoot very far out, if you know what you are doing.  If you want this gun to serve double duty, go with about 3x to 4x on low end and 9x to 12x on the high end.  Try to keep the scope reasonably trim and light as well. 
Probably the most versatil choice of what is currently available is Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 with Mil-Dot.  It is not a super light scope, but it is not a hugely oversize one either.  It does have a flexible magnification range that works well for many uses.
Another good choice is a Vortex Viper 4-12x40 like the one I have.  With its good glass and 12x magnificaiton I feel perfectly comfortable shooting steel plates out to 700 yards.
Or you could just go with one of the many excellent 3-9x42 scopes available like Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9x42.  Once again this all comes down to money.  If you can afford it I would higly recommend the Elite 6500.  I think its versatility is unmatched in the under a grand price range.

ILya

P.S.  I have to run, but
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 21:13
I would choose the Sightron Big Sky over the Vortex.Better glass in low light and better tracking.The SIII is more money than the SII BS but the 30 mm tube has an edge in optics. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 21:17
30mm tube does not really do anything for optics, but S3 employs a different optical design that has an edge in resolution over S2 Big Sky.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 14:49
thanks Ilya for the reply. I think that I am going to get the SII Big Sky side focus 4.5-14x44md for my Hunting rig. It has better eye relief, better optics, tall target turrents for range work(caps for when hunting), 15.9 oz light weight, and 80MOA of adjustment. This will be great for the .308 barrel or the .260 that I am most likely going to get for it as well. I found it at a great price. I looked at the Bushnell 6500's as well but they cost more, have the same MOA, most likely equal glass, weigh more, and no target knobs, at least not till 2009. I also have a Millet DMS1 on my FAL that I can throw on this rig for 1-4x situations so the 4.5 power won't be an issue. What do you guys think of the A.R.M.S. lever rings for accuracy. These are on my DMS1, and I am thinking of using them to mount this scope as well. Then switching scopes is quick and easy.

For the bench gun, I am just going to have to save up and get the SIII 6-24x50LRMD. It has 100MOA and beats anything in the price range.  I already have the Ken Fareel 30mm Rings and base so I can reuse all this.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Mike

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2008 at 23:01
Good choices.

Post some pictures when you put all this together.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2008 at 12:08
Well, I just got my SIII 6-24x50lrmd. This is one really really nice scope. So far I have only mocked it up on the rifle to set ring spacing and eye relief. So far here is what I can tell. Very bright glass. The colors are great. I had it at my shop and was looking through it at a flag. The red,white, and blue were very very bright and colorful. Even at full power the image stayed bright and clear. The finish is excellent. The turrets are very audible and crisp. Each click is tight and lines up on the tick mark. It comes with an allen wrench for indexing the caps. The turrets have turn counter markings which go in two directions from 0. The only thing not present which would have been nice, is direction indicators veiwable from the rear. The magnification #'s are on an angle and can be seen without much effort. I plan to make my own "up" and "right" pointers.

These scopes are supposed to have the best tracking available. I will check total MOA and see how it compares to the 100 advertized. It comes with a sunshade, lense cloth, lense Bikini, scope bag and reticle paperwork. They list for around $800 but I got mine with the 25% microsoft cash back deal and a 10% paypal coupon. That's 35% off.

I plan on getting the SII big sky 4.5-14x44md for my other rifle. I think I am now a Sightron fan. I will post pics tomorrow.

Mike
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 15:19
Here are the pictures finally. Here are some shots of it installed on my 300 winmag.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 15:25
Here are a couple shots of it mounted on my tactical stick.

Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 19:50
SIGHTRON is good stuff; spread the word! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic