OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

cooler size for a boned out whitetail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cooler size for a boned out whitetail
    Posted: November/05/2008 at 14:26
hey guys,

i'm looking for a cooler that will hold a whole, boned-out average-sized tennesse whitetail (and some ice, too). i would like to get the smallest size i can comfortably get away with.

my size choices (in quarts) are: 52, 62, 72, and 100.

just wondering what you guys think would be best.

tyi...jeff

p.s. and no, i won't need any space for beer :P
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 16:37
Sorry Jeff,
can't really say, not being from Tenn. I don't know what the average sized whitetail is up there.  But, I would go the opposite end of the spectrum by getting the biggest I could put in the bed of my truck.  The boy and I might get lucky and get more than one!!!   Whoohooo, Think big brother, think big!!!

LOL

Mike
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 18:24
You usually get about a 40 % yield of meat from most game animals,  if the deer weights 100 pounds you get 40 lbs meat.  As you can see, you don't need a huge cooler.  I use two coolers, one for my steaks and chops, the other for my meat that will be ground.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 19:11
I use an Igloo 94 qt and it is good enough for a few butchered whitetail, no problem. It can hold 30 walleye and a bunch of ducks, geese and other birds, too.
I would suggest going with the 100 because you will be better off buying long. I can easily put four quarters in mine and then some. I don't always have time to bone out a deer and it helps having the room.
I have come up short on cooler space before and it stinks.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 19:29
100 qt Igloo cooler works perfect for bringing two blacktails home from the butcher every year.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 19:58
I'd get a 'beer' cooler.  You know, the most common size, the one that's about 2.5ft. long and 15 or so inches deep.  They'll hold a boned out va. deer.  And if you hit him in the shoulder, that's that much less meat.  If you get it from wally world, and you find out it ain't big enough....take it back...after you clean it.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 19:59
oh, and let the meat cool.  Or you'll spend a fortune in ice.
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 21:19
thanks a lot guys for the responses! it's good to know that i can always count on you guys for good advice - and i appreciate that. i'm heading down to tennessee over thanksgiving for my first deer hunt ever, so i'm pretty excited. im counting down the days! if i get one i'll be sure to put up some pics!
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 21:29
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Whoohooo, Think big brother, think big!!!LOLMike

haha true! although this will be my first time out, so if i get *anything* i will be very happy ;)
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 04:31
I think mine are 62 quart or so . They are those 5 to 6 day coolers and man......they work ! You can pack them down with ice on some deer meat and it will literally last for days without needing more ice !

How's that bow shooting Jeff ??
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 07:26
Originally posted by cbm cbm wrote:

I think mine are 62 quart or so . They are those 5 to 6 day coolers and man......they work ! You can pack them down with ice on some deer meat and it will literally last for days without needing more ice !

oh man i love the bow! it shoots beautifully on the range. it shot perfect bullet holes through paper from the get go. 263 f.p.s with nearly 500 gr arrows. i can't wait to put it to the real test!

from the harvest report it looks like you're doing pretty well with your new rifle :)
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 09:23

Ditto, the 5 day coolers are the bomb, that's what my 100qt is.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 05:56

Glad to hear your bow is shooting good for you Jeff.

Yeh....I got 3 with the bow so far and 3 with the new rifles(2-.30-06,1-.223). Headed to Canada next week for a rifle hunt..........so maybe I'll get a big one !!

Check out those 5 day cooler though..........they're well worth the extra cash !!

Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 19:43

Glad to hear your bow is shooting good for you Jeff.

Yeh....I got 3 with the bow so far and 3 with the new rifles(2-.30-06,1-.223). Headed to Canada next week for a rifle hunt..........so maybe I'll get a big one !!

Check out those 5 day cooler though..........they're well worth the extra cash !!

that's pretty sweet! hopefully i'll get a few this year. after thanksgiving in tennessee i think i'll try to check out some areas here in ohio. all of january is bow-only, so i'll probably try to take advantage of that.

i was looking at the coleman extreme coolers. those appear to be 5-day coolers. any idea how they compare to igloo coolers? i noticed walmart has the coleman's for not too much money. i'm pretty sure they carry igloo, too. i'll head over there this weekend and pick something up.
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 19:55
I have a Cabelas Otter, 56qt and a Coleman Extreme 75qt cooler, both are rated as beyond 5 days. Last year I used them to take boned out Nebraska Whitetails An 11 point buck and a medium doe from Nebraska to California. Could have fit twice the amount. Stopped for Thanksgiving at my sons college, total trip was 7 days. Both coolers keep the original ice loaded in Nebraska until we got home. I did add more ice, but I was amazed at how well these coolers worked. No issues at all, even in 75+ temps. I was pulling a 5th wheel so the coolers werre in the front of the bed out in the weather and sun. The Cabelas cooler was expensive, $200. But is really really bullet proof. Stainless piano hinge regular hose bib to drain the water. Expect this cooler to last forever. The Coleman is a better insulated than normal but plastic hinges and compression latch instead of latching lockable clasps on the Cabelas cooler. Don't go with the cheap ones, been there done that. Spend the money once and no need to do it again.
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 20:26
Originally posted by smithrjd smithrjd wrote:

I have a Cabelas Otter, 56qt and a Coleman Extreme 75qt cooler, both are rated as beyond 5 days. Last year I used them to take boned out Nebraska Whitetails An 11 point buck and a medium doe from Nebraska to California. Could have fit twice the amount. Stopped for Thanksgiving at my sons college, total trip was 7 days. Both coolers keep the original ice loaded in Nebraska until we got home. I did add more ice, but I was amazed at how well these coolers worked. No issues at all, even in 75+ temps. I was pulling a 5th wheel so the coolers werre in the front of the bed out in the weather and sun. The Cabelas cooler was expensive, $200. But is really really bullet proof. Stainless piano hinge regular hose bib to drain the water. Expect this cooler to last forever. The Coleman is a better insulated than normal but plastic hinges and compression latch instead of latching lockable clasps on the Cabelas cooler. Don't go with the cheap ones, been there done that. Spend the money once and no need to do it again.

good to know about the coleman. i'll check out the competitor too. i agree 100% about getting something good one time. thank you!
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 20:59
I would also add that the Cabelas cooler is branded, I saw the same cooler at Sportsmans warehouse for the same money. If you look at the two there is really no comparison the Cabelas is built like a tank. The Coleman however is very good but don't think it will last as long. It is about half the price however.
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 21:48

I would also add that the Cabelas cooler is branded, I saw the same cooler at Sportsmans warehouse for the same money. If you look at the two there is really no comparison the Cabelas is built like a tank. The Coleman however is very good but don't think it will last as long. It is about half the price however.

yeah the Cabelas looks pretty solid for sure. would you say you could get 2 boned out deer in a 70 qt. cooler? or would that be a bit tight? i'm leaning toward a 100 qt. cooler.
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 21:58
I would go with the larger size, they only had one size available when I got mine. They come in three different sizes, priced accordingly.. The Coleman extreme is only in the larger size. Had I had it to do again I would have bought a single larger Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse cooler. I think the 56qt size would fit the deer, but not perhaps have enough room for the ice bags. 70+ sould be OK

HTH

Ron
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 22:09

I would go with the larger size, they only had one size available when I got mine. They come in three different sizes, priced accordingly.. The Coleman extreme is only in the larger size. Had I had it to do again I would have bought a single larger Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse cooler. I think the 56qt size would fit the deer, but not perhaps have enough room for the ice bags. 70+ sould be OK

HTH

Ron

yeah i think you're right - and that seems to be the consensus too. i think i'll go for the 100 qt. hopefully in a few weeks i'll load it up with venison!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic