OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

illuminated scopes illegal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 08:32
In certain situations there can be a near black out of ambient light even during legal hunting hours. This can make finding the reticle very difficult for a quick shot. It can make it difficult even for a shot that you have time to search as well. This is where the illuminated reticle is advantageous.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 09:54
I was out night hunting last week for hogs, feeder about 70 yards out, using a Texas Boars red LED setup, animals can't see the red light and it's just enough light to be able to see the game..  you really don't need an ill ret for it and you don't if spotlighting (when legal) but it helps if they are moving  to be able to get on em quick

I shot two coons when it was time as we were instructed to do so by the land owner and I turned the ill off of my IOR as it's just too bright even at min setting

on another ill ret scope I had, a Bushnell 1.25-4, I was able to put in a 1.5v (vs 3) battery and cut down on the brightness of the ill dot

the IOR has a tactical reticle and there is just too much stuff lit up

Cyborg, thanks for the tip on the battery, as I have tried a 1.5v battery but even when making sure the battery is making proper contact it doesn't activate the circuitry
I will definitely have to the one you recommended

yeah, the z6 has the ill ret down with it's advanced digital circuitry

I have an ACOG and with no light, the tritium reticle lit ip is perfect if you are out in the dark.  it's so dim you can't see it at all unless you where there's no artifical light whatsoever

the Accupoints use the same technology of Fiber optic for daylight ill and tritium for night
I just wish they made like a 1.5-6x42
arg

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 10:04
I just checked specs, you are right, Standard Discharge Current: 0.1 mA for the 2016 vs .2mA for the 2032

thanks man!
will definitely try one and report back
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 12:42
Originally posted by katesdad katesdad wrote:

Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Allow me to weigh in here. Any illuminated reticle is a good idea when certain hunting situations present themselves. There are  many that the illumination will be too bright and cause problems. 

would you elaborate here please.  the reason i asked this question is that it is time for a new hunting rifle and scope.  i can get a swarovski z6 and just wonder if i should get illuminated or not, don't want to regret not getting it if it is worth it.  don't want to waste the money but.... that is why i want to hear of you guys experiences with them.  i have seen them and all of that just want some real life experiences..  thanks

This will NOT be a problem with the Z6i.  It has an extremely broad illumination intensity adjustment range, all the way from just barely visible (for use in near darkness) to very bright (for use in broad daylight).  The Z6i illumination controls are one of the best, if not the best available, largely because not only does it have an infinitely adjustable intensity range, you can set 2 different intensities in memory, one for day, and one for low light, and it has a toggle selector switch to easily select between the two.  If you can afford the Z6i to begin with, I have a hard time believing you would end up regretting your purchase.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic