OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low Light Performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Light Performance
    Posted: November/05/2008 at 04:58
I am sure that this has been discussed much on this forum, but I wanted to get the input from some you guys on this issue.  I was hunting over the weekend and testing out my 8x32 Ultravids.  They are light, compact and clear.  Maybe it was just too dark, but it seems that my 8x42 Kahles had significantly better low light performance than my 8x32 Leica.  Now I was looking at deer in a field thru the woods at about 5:40-5:50.  Am I expecting too much?  Now I know there is a large difference in exit pupil, and that is the key issue.  What is you guys experience?  Did I make a mistake spending more money?  I don't have the luxery of comparing side by side.  But I know that some of you have.
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 07:43
The 42mm is definately better in low light the the 32mm.  I myself wanted to get a 32mm because it was lighter, easier to handle, carry around with you but a friend of mine that owns a gun show showed me the difference.  You definately have a very nice binocular and if you wanted to sell it and get a 42mm in Leica I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem selling it.  I had the Kahles 8x42 myself and loved them but a friend of mine talked me into selling them to his so I went and bought a 7x42 Swarovski and I couldn't be happier myself.  I'm sure if you wanted to sell the Kahles you wouldn't have any problem selling those as well.  
D. Holmes
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 13:43
What is the difference between the 8x42 kahles and the 7x42 swarovski?
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 07:14
The new SLC Swarovski have the same glass in them as the EL's do.  Thus your getting the top of the line glass for about $700 less.  Plus I like the feel of the SLCs in my hands and they seem to be more rugged and able to take more abuse then the EL's.  Besides Swarovski has the best customer service in binocular business period!
D. Holmes
snowflake77 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 09:34
If you bought the ultravids at a retail store then take them back and get what you want.  I am currently doing research on 7 or 8 X 42's thus coming across your post. I am looking at the swaro, zeiss, and meopta. Just trying to convince myself on what to buy as I have gotten my hands on all of them.
SGT_Shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGT_Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2008 at 14:37
steiner night hunter xp...

you will not be sorry
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2008 at 16:58
I hear a 7x50 is in the works. I had a pair of the 8x56 NH's XP and they were the brighest glass I've ever owned or looked through.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic