OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

DURABLE RIFLESCOPE LISTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DURABLE RIFLESCOPE LISTS
    Posted: November/04/2008 at 18:28
Big%20SmileHOW WOULD YOU RATE THE MOST DURABILITY,FAIL  SAFE  ACCURACY,SHOT AFTER SHOT RIFLESCOPE  MANUFACTOR S  UNDER  $600.00  .  Big%20Smile
countryboy appreciates
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 18:32
Leupold first.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
countryboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 19:04

COME  ON  GUYS,I HAD ONLY ONE TO POST/  LET'S  ROCKIN ROLL  AND GET A POLL  GOING!!!!!
countryboy appreciates
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 20:39
zeiss and burris should be in there along with sightron i suppose leupold is in there as well with their vxIII
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 21:07
My personal collection of scopes Under $600.00, Sightron SII,Bushnell Elite 4200,Leupold VXIII,Redfield Illuminator,Tasco Titan,Weaver Grand Slam,Nikon Monarch,Bushnell Legend,Nikon Buckmaster,Simmons AETEC,Nikon Pro Staff,The Sightron SII is great scope has the best finish of all the scopes and never lost zero.  
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 21:14
LOTS of rounds fired this year out of my 45-70 and my 350 Remington mag. - Both wear Zeiss Conquests and both Conquests have held up wonderfully.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 21:16

How can I forget My Zeiss Conquest the only bad thing is the plastic turret covers place it as 3rd on my list after my Bushnell Elite 4200.I also forgot to put the Bushnell 3200 as my 4th place scope very reliable just not as clear and bright but has been on plenty of hunting trips and survived.

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 21:51
Why are the plastic turret covers a "bad thing?" 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 22:32
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

Why are the plastic turret covers a "bad thing?" 

The top Zeiss and Swaro supposedly have plastic turrets as well so I guess it really doesn't matter.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 22:37
i would place the zeiss over the 4200, the only down side to the zeiss is the cost, since they formed an agreement with bushnell to use rainguard now you are closer to comparing apples to apples, in a heads up comp (money aside) the conquest is better, eye relief is better reticle choices are better glass quality at or around dark goes to the conquest also.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 22:47
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Leupold first.

I gotta admit, so far, I think your right. I only have a couple years of hard hunting experience on my Euro models but decades on my Leupolds and the Leupolds have held up quite well. I hope the Euro scopes have the same durable track record, so far so good.

Edited by mike650 - November/04/2008 at 22:47
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 07:11
Since I don't handload and use factory ammo - I pretty much re-zero my rifles every year.  With that said, I've never had any issues with any of my scopes!  I've owned one Tasco and a couple of Simmons .22 Mag scopes and I would call these my "cheap" scopes and never had any issues with these either.  All the other scopes I've owned started at $200 and went up!
take em!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 08:25
Me, too.  I've got Weavers and Redfields that are over thirty years old and they work just fine......Shocked
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 11:51
Originally posted by countryboy countryboy wrote:

Big%20SmileHOW WOULD YOU RATE THE MOST DURABILITY,FAIL  SAFE  ACCURACY,SHOT AFTER SHOT RIFLESCOPE  MANUFACTOR S  UNDER  $600.00  .  Big%20Smile
.........................This is a tough one!....But, I can only go with scopes that I have personal and very reliable experience with. In no particular order of durability; Leupold VX3, Elite 4200 and the Nikon Monarch. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 13:23
My own experience with Leupold scopes regarding their durability was pretty positive until I started traveling with them via airline. Almost every time I arrived in camp, my rifles needed to be re zeroed. The zero shift would be anywhere from 1" to 3 1/2" inches off. I'm sure that this was due to the way my rifle cases where being treated, but the fact remains the same. In fairness, I never experienced this from handling in the field, but I can tell you that after spending the time and money on travel hunts, it didn't leave me with a good feeling knowing something could be damaged inside one of these scopes. The scopes in question were VX3 2.5-8 and VX3 4.5-14x40's. Back in 95 I switched over to the Bausch & Lomb 4000 series and for whatever reason these problems ceased to exist. All my rifles (travel rifles) now wear B&L 4000 and Bushnell 4200's. These scopes, IMO, are less susceptible to hard knocks than the Leupold's they replaced. On top of that, they track better and have better optics to boot.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 18:24
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i would place the zeiss over the 4200, the only down side to the zeiss is the cost, since they formed an agreement with bushnell to use rainguard now you are closer to comparing apples to apples, in a heads up comp (money aside) the conquest is better, eye relief is better reticle choices are better glass quality at or around dark goes to the conquest also.

How would one know if the Zeiss has the rainguard coating or is a prerainguard Zeiss scope?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 18:38
you mean if you don't have the box or paperwork?
take em!
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 20:06

Wait.  Are some of the Zeiss' available with rainguard on the market already?  I thought they just announced it last week.  I haven't seen any Zeiss products advertised as having rainguard yet. 

swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 20:14
Leupold, Zeiss Conquest, Monarch and Primos Nikons...I've had good luck with those.  I'm sure Bushnell Elites and Sightrons would be fine also.  You're almost up to Swaro money (on the sample list) with $600...by the way.

Everyone makes a lemon!  And you never know when your glass will sh*t out on you.   I carry a back-up scope if I hunt away from home.  Just a little side note.
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 20:18
If Zeiss doesn't have the rainguard on their scopes yet (and I don't believe they do), does anybody have any insight on when they might be available?  I was wanting to purchase a Zeiss Conquest in the near future, but will be willing to hold off on a purchase if the rainguard feature will be available soon.  Also, does anyone think that it will add much to the overall price? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic