OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leica 900rf help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prosthogod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leica 900rf help
    Posted: November/04/2008 at 11:23
So I bought this rf and went scouting last weekend and had a hell of a time ranging my shooting area. Thought maybe i was out of range but when the shade came in I could only get a few bushes in the area. Any help would be appreciated.
live everyday like your last
prosthogod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prosthogod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 11:55
no help, not any thoughts?
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 10:04
How far do you think it was to what you were trying to range? What were the weather conditions? I have had a harder time getting ranges past about 600 yds when there was a lot of mirage visible through my bino's. Maybe try a new battery and see if it helps. I have had very good luck with leica rf's.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
prosthogod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prosthogod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 14:28
Brand new rf from cabelas
range was 350yds
sunny ~80degrees.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 17:32
Are you bracing to get real steady? If the target is small or when using brush sometimes bracing helps. Black objects like Angus cows make poor targets also. I use the Lecia 1200 and have great success with its ranging
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 06:50
3_tens makes a good point also. If not steady, you can have a hell of a time getting a range. I don't see why the light and shade should affect it. I have used mine in near dark conditions and it seems to shine in those conditions.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 10:42
Which Leica model do you have, the CRF or LRF? It looks like you said a RF.

I have the CRF 1200 and I don't think think I've ever have an issue ranging anytime during the day up to 900 yards, low light conditions have never been a problem, but I haven't tested it in the raining conditions yet. The times I've noticed where I've had issues ranging beyond 900 yards has been temperature plus time of day and it's required a steady hand. Example: 95+ degrees, 3pm in the afternoon, ranging 1000+ yards is very difficult. Later that same day, around 5pm, I'm back to ranging up to 1300 yards with minimal effort.

The distance and conditions you listed shouldn't have a problem at least from my experiences. As listed above from Trigger and 3_Tens, sometimes certain colors, type of surface, or low batteries can effect your readings.

Edited by mike650 - November/09/2008 at 10:48
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 09:56
I had my Geovids out yesterday. I assume they have to use about the same system as a crf 1200. The battery has been in this unit for about a year. In the afternoon, when there was some serious mirage, I couldn't range even a water tower at 1000 yards. The Geovids did not say the battery was low, but putting a new battery in gave me a range right away. Apparently just because the battery indicator doesn't say it is low, doesn't mean you will get maximum performance from the unit.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic