OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SIDE FOCUS OR ADJUSTABLE OBJECTIVE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SIDE FOCUS OR ADJUSTABLE OBJECTIVE
    Posted: November/03/2008 at 19:30
ARE THEY WORTH HAVING ON YOUR RIFLESCOPE//   WHICH ONE WOULD BE THE BEST/    EXPLAIN AT WHAT POWER  AND YARDS YOU NEED TO START USING IT ROUGHLY/I  NEED SOMEBODY THAT CAN EXPLAIN THIS THROUGH/   MY BROTHER IS WONDERING ABOUT THIS ,SO I TOLD HIM I WOULD ASKED THE PRO'S  ABOUT IT/HE IS GOING TO PURCHASED A SCOPE.HIS SHOTS MAY BE 300  TO 450  YARDS.
countryboy appreciates
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 21:16
depends on what you are going to use the gun/scope for.... target shooting - hunting  -  plinking.   We need all the details!
take em!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 06:16
Generally speaking, if a scope is over 10X then parralax may become a concern. Now once you get past 10X and are shooting at 100 yards you could find yourself all over the place.

Parralax is the way the cross hairs align with the target. Which is to say, that if you are looking through your scope, and the parralax isn't set just right, any shift of your head will change the POI of the cross hairs on your target. In extreme condition it can cause you to not even be able to hit the paper, let alone get a good zero.

The good news is this. A decent quality scope that has a parralax set for 100 yards, and goes no higher than 10X will be plenty accurate, even out to 500 yards. Getting a good shooting stance, and a consistent cheek wield, understanding the ballistics of the round you are shooting all are going to be more important than parralax for most shooting situations.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 09:25
For most hunting situations AO or SF are unnecessary distractions that will just slow your shot while you fiddle with the scope. But once you get beyond 10x (7x for a rimfire) it's pretty much a must have item. I also consider parallax adjustment a must for target shooting.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 11:27
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

depends on what you are going to use the gun/scope for.... target shooting - hunting  -  plinking.   We need all the details!

Big%20Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
riverrat373 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 17:03
Hey Mike 650! What if the Indians had required all the Pilgrims to learn Indian or leave the country? :-)Big%20Grin
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 18:16
That is where the phrase (The only good Indian is a dead Indian takes precedence)
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Harriershot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriershot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 19:21
Hey Countryboy, by the way when you capitilize all your letters it is perceived as yelling, I don't know about you but yelling seems to do very little in my house let alone the internet.
I agree with the previous poster that paralax becomes important over 10x, that being said I like to have an adjustable objective on all my scopes, I belive in using it if you can, I think it gives you better accuracyin more situations than not.
The other thing to talk about is does a side focus have more glass elements than a front focus therefore reducing the clarity of the scope.

Charlie 
9/11/01, I will never forget. I lost 343 of my brothers.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 01:11
Scopes with adjustable parralax have a shallow depth of field, which means that they have to be re-focussed whenever the distance to your target alters by a few yds. For this reason engaging moving targets and or targets at varying distances in a hurry can be a problem. Having said that lots of guys use them even under these conditions.
For precision shooting at higher magnification they are a great help.
Side focus makes adjustment easier when you are in an akward stance.
10X upwards a parralax adjustment can help. Parralax also becomes important when engaging in precision shooting at short distances (100yds and less) due to the fact that your entry angle is more accute. Over longer distances your entry angle becomes less accute, helping to naturally eliminate parralax error.
countryboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 19:55
Hey  Harriershot,I  didn't mean anything about the Capital letters .that is just the way I post subjects.
countryboy appreciates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic