OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Question regard Nikon scope and sample list

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archv3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question regard Nikon scope and sample list
    Posted: November/03/2008 at 07:09
I have a few questions regarding a scope samplelist and which one.  I have been doing some research on this site and others and narrowed it down to a Nikon Monarch.  The problem is a do not know which magnification to get.  I have a tikka t3 lite in .270 Win.  I am going to use this for hunting only.  Should I get the 2.5-10X42 or step up to the 3-12X42 for mabye some day when I need to take some longer shots?  Also i was looking on Samplelist and I was wonder why so many Nikons on there.  Is this a bad thing?  My last question is, Are the scopes on Samplelist  still under warranty and guaranted to work like new when I get it.  Thanks.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 07:31
The warranty is 90 days for the sample list Nikons. Don't let this concern you, if you get one from them, it would be pretty quick to show if there were going to be any problems with one. Mine looks brand spanking new, and it performs flawlessly.
Now with regard to the power needed, a 10 on the top end is really all you need given the caliber you are shooting. It is of course a preferencial thing, and if you will be more confident with the 12 on the top end then go for that.
Welcome to Optics Talk.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 07:46
I have the same gun, same caliber, same maker - Tikka makes a fine weapon, bolt as smooth as butter right out of the box.

I would recommend not going over 10X.  First, you don't need it with the power of the .270.  10X will get you out further than the .270 is viable, no need to go higher.
Also, most scopes with power greater than 10X have a parallax adjustment, which is another something you probably won't need.

Get the 2.5-10, it gives you nice low-end power but also has enough to go long if needed.

It is a great gun, enjoy it.

Lastly, take the rings that came with the scope and throw them in the trash - they suck.  Hard.  I like Talley rings (with integrated bases) on my Tikkas or Warnes - though they are harder to mount.  DO NOT USE THE TIKKA RINGS, I've destroyed more than 1 set and ahve seen a few others go too.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
archv3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archv3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 07:53
Thanks for the opinions so fast.  Rancid Coolaid  I already threw them away and purchased some warne rings.  I think you are right and the 10X will do thanks for the advice.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 07:53
I agree--a 3X9 or a 2X10 is a fine choice for a 270 Win.  I believe, over the years, that I have had four 270s.....I had a fixed 4X on one for years....and the biggest I ever had was a 4X12 on a Sako one time......I never even cranked it up more than 6X!!  Bandito

I think a 270 Win. is a great cartridge for what it is for.....some people shoot elk with them but I would not really go after anything bigger than mulies with one.....
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 07:58
agreeing with the others
which reticle are you looking at?

archv3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archv3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 08:03
im thinking bdc.  I figure i can still use the scope even if i dont use the bdc.  The option is there.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 08:20
Good thinking on the BDC. If you need it you have it. If not then it's not getting in the way either.

Cyborg
archv3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archv3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 08:28
Thanks for everyone's advice.  I just got off the phone with a lady from swfa and ordered a 2.5-10X42 Nikon Monarch with BDC for $311 including shippingoff of samplelist.  I think I am going to love this scope.  Thanks again
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 08:53
You are most welcome.
I'm sure that you will love this scope. Best of luck, and keep us posted sir.

Cyborg
archv3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archv3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 18:11
I finally got to open the package that I recieved in two days.  The scopes exterior looks brand new not to mention it came with lense covers.  I noticed that there was a little black speck of something on the right side of the reticle that I can live with.  All and all very pleased.  I have had time to sight my gun in yet, but I will let you know how that goes.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 18:29
Originally posted by archv3 archv3 wrote:

I noticed that there was a little black speck of something on the right side of the reticle that I can live with. 

Try to "smack" the scope's objective on something like the palm of your hand and see if you can knock the debris loose. 
It's probably a spec of dust stuck on the inside of the lens.    
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2008 at 00:16
I've been wondering myself why there are so many refurbed Nikon's out there, not only here but at other places as well.

Thx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2008 at 05:42
Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

I've been wondering myself why there are so many refurbed Nikon's out there, not only here but at other places as well.

Thx

Ni-furbs have been talked about here quite a bit in years past. Here's a post from our gracious host, Chris Farris.

Different manufacturers have different names for anything that is not new, some call them Refurbished when actually they are not.  Instead of having some called, factory blem, some called salesman samples, discontinued, damaged packaging, etc.......they just call everything Refurbished.  Anything that is not 100% new gets put in the "refurb" pile.  When you look at the big picture of how many scopes are made, the refurbs we have on our SampleList site is not even a measurable percentage.  Another contributing factor to a large number of any brand on the SampleList is that the manufacturers wait until they have a large quantity before they sell them.  Also the end of the year and start of a new year always brings many items to the SampleList because reps are turning in their samples and all the manufacturers are cleaning out inventory.

According to Nikon themselves, the industry average for returns/warranty of riflescopes is 5%...........Nikon's rate is .6%. 

archv3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archv3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 11:50
I tried hitting the objective with my palm and nothing happened.  The same little black piece is there.  Kind of makes me mad that it is there.  I have a feeling someone knew this was there when they sold it to me.  I just dont know if its worth sending back to nikon to get it fixed.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 13:19
The Nikon is a GOOD scope you should send it back. They will make it right.......NICE GUN I too have the 270, but I mounted a Zeiss 3x9 on mine....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 14:36
Have you called SWFA to see what they say?
take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 16:09
Originally posted by archv3 archv3 wrote:

I tried hitting the objective with my palm and nothing happened.  The same little black piece is there.  Kind of makes me mad that it is there.  I have a feeling someone knew this was there when they sold it to me.  I just dont know if its worth sending back to nikon to get it fixed.

I seriously doubt the scope was sold to you by SWFA "knowing" it had obvious flaws. They just don't roll like that.

That said, I've owned a US Optics scope that had debris inside the lens. Fairly common, though admittedly annoying problem.

I'd call the folks at Nikon USA and see what they have to say about it. 

Sorry for your dilemma, my friend. Please keep us advised.
Mustang-PaPa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang-PaPa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 17:26
I'd give SWFA the call first and see what they have to say about it. From everything I've read on this forum I'd almost bet that they take care of the problem first.
archv3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archv3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 21:12
I need to call them but the problem is I leave tomorrow and i need this scope.  I will have to call them on monday.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic