OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka Rifles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 06:48
I have a T3 Lite in 300WSM which is a great rifle but the rings are junk. After less than 100 rounds the recoil broke the locking lug on the front ring and literally tore it through the back of the ring itself moving the scope forward and majorly changing POI. On top of that it scratched up a nice Zeiss scope. I have replaced them with Millet as well as having a muzzle brake installed and now it shoots great with no recoil.
Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.

~Davy Crockett
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 18:32
I owned the T3 Lite in 300WM.  Here are some of my observations about the rifle, some of which have been mentioned in previous posts:

1. It was VERY accurate.  The rifle performed just at 1/2 MOA.
2. The included rings are crap.  Go with Talley.
3. The bolt was one of the smoothest operating bolts I've ever seen right out of the box.
4. The weapon truly is LITE!!!  It was a dream to tote around.
5. I made two mistakes with the rifle; (1) I had a muzzle break that was very effective, but it was ported 360 degrees around the barrel.  All I saw was smoke after the shot for 2-4 seconds, and (2) I bought the blued T3 and not the stainless.  This is a haul through the scrub piece of gear, and the SS would be nice for wear & tear.

A buddy of mine purchased the same rifle in camo stainless (300 WM), and I don't know of a better priced, more accurate deal around.

With about 200 rounds through the one I had, I give it a hearty endorsement.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 11:14
the only negative (though to me, not really a big deal) is that there are no short actions, only long and the action is blocked for shorter action rounds (say 308)
that cuts down on overall manufacturing costs though...
and the rings aren't great

I replaced mine with a $30 set of Warnes

I am partial to Sakos, my dad has shot one since 66, I have a '59 as well, a 243 that my son is now hunting with
I bought a t3 stainless lite 308 and it's a tack driver
bought a used 75 greywolf in 308, didn't shoot any better and was heavier
sold it and got an 85 Finlight in 270

it's prettier with the flute barrel and everything and says "SAKO" on the side

it shoots the same 1/2" group that the Tikka does though...

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 15:38
Originally posted by cbm cbm wrote:

"I had just a bit of trouble with the bolt.  When cocked and down in place, the bolt can easily be bumped slightly upward, and if this does happen, even ever so slightly, it will interfere with the operation of the safety, which will not freely move to on or off safety.  So, if you are having difficulty with the safety, just make sure the bolt is fully in the down position.  "

One other reason I sold mine .

FWIW.........I hate Hornady light magnums...........worst shooting bullet I have ever shot out of my Steyr .6mm . Regular Horady's and most anything else shoot very good..........the LM shot aweful !! Would be my absolute last choice when buying shells !

Too bad your rifle refused to digest those Hornady Light Magnums.  Others have had better luck with them.  The deer that I harvested a few days ago would not have agreed with you.
That's why we all need to experiment what loads our particular rifle likes the best.

Mojo
MOJO
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 16:26

I think I'd had a few the night I posted that............probably should've just said I had bad luck with them ! My tikka .270 wsm shot 140 trophy bonded bear claws pretty bad but accubonds shot like a champ out of it !!

Like you say...............good to try out several before settling on one !!

Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 18:29
A friend has one in 270 WSM, black and blue, and ported.  Been thru three seasons now.  The porting contributed a broken windshield when I let him rest on the roof of my vehicle.  Other than that, no problems.  I will let him know about the rings having a short service life.  Maybe the 270 WSM has not done them in yet.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 18:45
for those that can advise: how does the Tikka T3 compare to the Browing X-bolt or the new Winchester model 70. I've held an X-bolt and like them. I want to hold a new model 70. With the model 70 barrels being made in Columbia, SC by FN, I figured it may have an upperhand to the X-bolt. Then I've been reading about the Tikkas and how everyone LOVES them. I'm looking at either .308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, or 300WSM. I'm wanting something to DROP deer in their tracks, instead of the running 100 yards back into the thick woods!---Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 22:15
Originally posted by cbm cbm wrote:

I think I'd had a few the night I posted that............probably should've just said I had bad luck with them ! My tikka .270 wsm shot 140 trophy bonded bear claws pretty bad but accubonds shot like a champ out of it !!

Like you say...............good to try out several before settling on one !!

No problemo cbm.  My .280 A-Bolt hated Remington 165 grain extended range, and Barnes XBT handloads, but loved everything that said Nosler.  Go figure.

Mojo
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2008 at 08:48
Originally posted by Bboy623 Bboy623 wrote:

for those that can advise: how does the Tikka T3 compare to the Browing X-bolt or the new Winchester model 70. I've held an X-bolt and like them. I want to hold a new model 70. With the model 70 barrels being made in Columbia, SC by FN, I figured it may have an upperhand to the X-bolt. Then I've been reading about the Tikkas and how everyone LOVES them. I'm looking at either .308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, or 300WSM. I'm wanting something to DROP deer in their tracks, instead of the running 100 yards back into the thick woods!---Bboy623
shot placement can have a big part in bang flops, shot em in the head with a .223 and they drop like a rock, shot em in the guts with a .300win and they still run
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2008 at 09:22
Originally posted by Bboy623 Bboy623 wrote:

Five days ago I harvested a nice doe with a 150 grain SST Hornady Light Magnum .308.  I hit a rib, which made the entrance hole look like an exit hole, took out both lungs, and had an exit hole look like, well, an exit hole.  She took off like a raped ape through the woods, as though she was not injured, ran 90 yards across another one of my shooting lanes so fast that, I swear, that I had never seen a deer run THAT fast, and continued on another 20 yards or so into the woods where she did a nose dive into the ground (which I could not see from my vantage point.) 

I sat there just stunned, and figured that somehow I had missed, even though it was an easy 75 yard shot with a rest.  I would have bet money that she would have crumpled on the spot, which did not happen, of course.

So, even when you have good shot placement from the O'Conner bible of shooting, they can run quite a distance, and unless you have a round that vaporizes the entire animal there is no guarantee that all of them will drop on the spot.

Mojo    
MOJO
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2008 at 09:55
So far.......for me.........my new .30-06 with 168 win. ballistic tips has had the most impressive bang flops of anything I have ever used. And i have just been taking lung shots........no shoulder shots yet !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic