OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elevation Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbnky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevation Adjustment
    Posted: November/01/2008 at 17:47
I'm currently having a problem I haven't experienced before.  (Weaver 3x9; Leupold Standard Bases; Leupold "low" rings; customized Mauser Action with Douglas Barrell). My POI at 100yds is appx 1 1/2" low of POA with my most accurate handload.  I have ran out of "up" adjustment on the scope.   I recentered both the windage and elevation on the scope before mounting this scope so I would have maximum adjustability.  I also used a ring alignment tool when installing the rings.  I need to switch to "medium" height rings to gain a bit more bolt and safety clearance anyway and was wondering if this would this provide additional adjustment? ( I probably ought to know this as I'm not new to shooting, but I don't).  I know you can shim the bases/rings, but I prefer not to as I have already shimmed the front base to to get proper ring alignment.   Maybe I'm missing something, but this is a first for me.  Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks..cbnky
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2008 at 21:02
Sounds like the base may not be correct. Are you sure of the new barrel coutures? You should not have had to shim the correct base for proper alignment. Taller rings will not effect the alignment in any way to alter the the internal adjustment of the scope. The scope in it current configuration is not aligned with the barrel.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2008 at 21:10
IF you shimmed the front one that is probably your problem.  You gobbeled up a bunch of your adjustment when you done that.  Some scopes seem to barely have enough elevation in them to get a 100 yard zero.

I have this POS Leupold scope that is the same way.  It was on a 7mm and the only way I could get a 100 yard zero was to shim the back of it. 

CHeck out these rings.  http://www.swfa.com/c-455-burris-signature-1-rings.aspx  They have inserts that allow you do put some can't on your scope within your rings.  You are going to need the back of the scope to be higher than the front.

Edited by supertool73 - November/01/2008 at 21:11
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cbnky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbnky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2008 at 20:11
Thanks for the replys.  I picked up this rifle at a recent gun show.  Obviously a lot of work went in to customizing it which made me a bit skeptical if maybe something was not quite right with it or why would it be for sale.  I did place 3 shims under the front base to alighn the rings and did think this was excessive.  I'll pull one of the shims, lap the rings and give it another go.  I did look at the Burris rings, but I need extension rings to get eye relief with my scope and they don't make the extension signature rings that I can find.  (I did send a question on this to burris).  As for the bases being right, the action is a 1909 Argentino Mauser, and the bases came with it.  I'm assuming they are right.  I will say this, it does shoot well (5 of 6 rounds all touching).  Guess I'll just have to get out and shoot some more (a good thing).  Anyways, thanks again for the advice and my compliments on having a great forum.....Clyde 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 08:29
Thanks for the compliment Clyde. Welcome to Optics Talk. We do take a lot of pride in having the best forum on the net.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 12:53

Could your bases be reversed?  This still sounds like a base problem. Hard to tell not being able to see what is going on. Proper bases should not ever need to be shimmed. Unless wanting to extend the range. Then a different base should be used to maintain alignment. 

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cbnky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbnky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2008 at 16:57
Just a quick update--I replaced the "low" rings with a set of "med" rings.  I removed all the shims from the front base and now everything aligns like it's supposed to.  Seems to have be a bad set of rings.  Anyways, thanks again for your inputs...Clyde 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic