OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help with one of four ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DataMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with one of four ...
    Posted: November/01/2008 at 10:56
I recently purchased a DPMS Panther LR-260 for long range target and varmint shooting. After researching possible scopes for the rifle I have settled on four ... I ask the group for any input that may pertain to the selected options.

Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X50
Nikon Monarch 6-24X50
Sightron 6.5-20X50 SII Big Sky
Nikon Monarch 5-20x44

I am leaning towards one of the Nikons.

Thanks much!

- mark
NRA Patron Member
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2008 at 11:32
If you don't mind my asking, exactly what criteria were considered to bring you to settle on these 4 scopes?

I had the Bushnell Elite 6-24 and didn't like the picture at 24X (though, with a 2.2mm exit pupil, who would.)  The Bushnell is a decent scope, but has very limited elevation range - 45MOA total, I think.  For long range, it'll need a canted base and some luck.

I hear good things about the new Monarch and the Sightron but have no experience with them. I had an old monarch and didn't care for it, but Chris at SWFA says the new ones are MUCH BETTER.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
DataMax View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DataMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2008 at 12:06
Hey Rancid ... I had heard what you are saying about the Bushnell ... now I have heard it from multiple sources.

I came to these 4 scopes by taking what I thing I need x-20x44 or 50, looking at what I had to spend (about $600 tops), and using the 2008 Rifle Scope rankings that I found on another site.  The three brands were listed in the upper 40%.
NRA Patron Member
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2008 at 12:39
The only one of those that I've used is the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50. It's a good scope for the ranges that I shoot at but the limited elevation might be a problem at longer ranges. I also find the exit pupil quite good for a 24x scope.

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 21:46
My choice would be the Sightron SII Big Sky.Bright optics with excellent customer service & very reliable.
DataMax View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DataMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 08:18

First, I would like to thank everyone who responded to this post.
Second, based on comments received I ordered the following:

Manufacturer: Falcon Optics
Model Number: Menace 4.5-18x56
Finish: Matte
Magnification: 4.5-18
Objective: 56mm
Tube Diameter: 30mm

Hopefully it will serve my purpose well.

Thanks again,
Mark

NRA Patron Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic