OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Stand hunting binocular

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stand hunting binocular
    Posted: January/09/2005 at 22:32

I need a little help here, first on a few details and then some personal observations and opinions. My hunting is for deer in FL and SC, primarily from elevated stands. Normal range on food plots and feeders is 75-150 yards with some fields and clear cuts out to 400 yards or so. Furtherest walk is only 1/2 mile on smooth dirt roads, with average about 300 yards, and most stands 20-25ft., therfore size and weight would be of minor consideration. Twilight capability is another thing entirely. Bucks in my area, hunted in this manner, usually only show themselves 1/2-1 hour after sunset. Personal preferences are porro prism and 8 power and I use binos daily. Some that I use now are Burris Fullfield 8x40, Wind River Mesa 8x42, and Weaver Grand Slam 8.5x45. Under consideration are:

Swaro SL 7x42 (samplelist-$599)

Swaro SL 7x50 (samplelist-$699)

Swaro SL 8x56 (elsewhere-$699)

Kahles 8x42 (samplelist $539)

Swift Audubon  ED 8.5x44 ($375)

Leica Trinovid BN 8x50 (samplelist $869), but that's really stretching the budget.

So I've whittled the field down this far and and could use your opinions (best guesses) especially with regards to the Swaro SL. I would like to purchase soon  because there are only a couple weeks left in the season. Thanks.

Carl in N. FL
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2005 at 09:21

I'd go at it like this.....

1. Leica

2. Swaro

3. Kahles

4. Swift

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2005 at 12:49

8x56 and 7x50 Swaro will probably be the best (from your list) in low light just because of the exit pupil size (especially if your eyes are young enough to dilate to 7mm).  Swift 8.5x44ED will probably provide the best resolution though and if your 40+ will be just as bright as anythin else out there.  Additionally that slightly higher magnification just might make the difference in how much you can actually make out.  Birders say that these Swift binos are optically equal to pretty much anything else out there, bar none.  Swift does have a reputation for not being as water/fog proof as other top end glass which is lakely to be pretty important for your purposes.

400 yards is not all that far for a quality binocular so you are right to stay at 8x or so. Other binoculars that you may be interested in are Steiner Nighthunter XP in 7x50 or 8x56 configurations and Zeiss classic 7x50 porros.  These are stunningly bright.

My personal favourites are IOR 7x40 porros.  They are very bright and sharp and they give a better 3D effect than any binocular I have ever seen.  Also they are available with a reticle to help with range estimation.

Ilya

Bart Simpson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2005 at 11:38
I finally got out of the "analysis paralysis" mode and ordered the Leica. They should arrive in time to test during the last week of deer season. Will inform as to their effectiveness. Thanks.
Carl in N. FL
Bart Simpson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2005 at 18:59
Boy these Leicas are nice. Had to force myself to climb down from the treestand. I watched a young buck for 45 minutes(15 prior sunset, 30 post sunset). At 100 yards I could see the hair ripple as his muscle flexed. Great buy for my purpose. Thanks.
Carl in N. FL
carolinaflats View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2005 at 20:13
How long does the season last where you live? It ends Jan. 1 here in SC. Glad your Leicas woked out for you, still worked well after dark eh?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic