OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I need tips for cougar hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need tips for cougar hunting
    Posted: October/29/2008 at 20:27
I live in north dakota where we have few cougars, but enough for us to have a hunting season.
Well i recently went on a 5 day hunt in the part of north dakota where they are spotted most. Now I know they are extremely hard to even catch a glimpse of, so i read and read about them to find out every little fact about them, to better my chances of getting one.
I have to hunt them with calls, because dogs aren't allowed till december 1st.
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any REALLY good hand calls for cougars?
And i would really appreciate some tips on calling in a cougar.
Thank you alot
-Dustin
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 20:40
Be careful, I hear some of those cougars really like to go after you young guys.  I would suggest a nice diner and some good wine and music.  Thunbs%20Up  Barry Mantilow seems to be a pretty good call from what I here.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 21:09
He probably has No idea what your talkin bout ST. Besides he don't need a call for
that kinda cat!

Cat hunter I wish I could be of some real help but the only time I've seen any big cats was just by chance. Infact you've told me something I didn't know, that there is such a thing as callin in a cougar. Everything I've seen had to do with dogs. I expect someone here can offer some thoughts. I mainly wanted to say, Welcome to the OT and good luck with the info and the hunt. Be careful!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
cathunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 21:40
Thank you for the reply.
Yeah, our season here in north dakota runs from august to April, and we have a quota of 8 cats, once that quota is reached, the season ends.
Dogs aren't allowed till december, so your only resort is coming across the cat, or calling it in.
Every season we've had has ended before december, therefore no dogs were used.
The majority of the cats are just happened upon while on another hunt (such as the first one of the season this year was shot while a hunter happened upon one while pheasant hunting)
but atleast 3 out of the 8 cougars are called in.
its hard, but if the cats hungry or young, they'll come running.

but yeah, thanks again.
-Dustin
-Dustin
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 21:44
These call are fantastic.  http://www.gofoxpro.com/gamescalls.php  I have not used them for cougars, but I have for coyotes and everytime I have used it I have callled some in.  I have the FX5.  They have all kinds of animal sounds and the remote works for a very long ways.  You can also buy more sounds and upload to the system via PC. 

Kind of pricey, but in my opinion worth the money
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 21:56
anything  that works on coyotes or bobcats will generally work on lions too, when i lived in wyoming we had lions come to our calls a few times.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 00:53
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

anything  that works on coyotes or bobcats will generally work on lions too, when i lived in wyoming we had lions come to our calls a few times.

Thunbs%20Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 01:01

+1  Just remember, that a cat will take longer to come in than a coyote, and you may have a hard time seeing him.  Be patient and don't move too often.  If you can locate a den or good trail, that will help a lot.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 01:48
Watch your back!  I would find a setup that doesn't let the cougar come in from behind you.  Otherwise, he may have a more successful hunt than you do!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 06:13
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

+1  Just remember, that a cat will take longer to come in than a coyote, and you may have a hard time seeing him.  Be patient and don't move too often.  If you can locate a den or good trail, that will help a lot.
right

Watch your back!  I would find a setup that doesn't let the cougar come in from behind you.  Otherwise, he may have a more successful hunt than you do!

also very good advice, i try to do that with coyotes as well

Edited by pyro6999 - October/30/2008 at 06:15
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 07:42
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

Shocked

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 08:29
Bobcat do the same thing to calls and will sneak in from behind. There are black bear hunters using calls to bring in bear, too.
I Googled cougar calling and came up with quite a bit of info http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cougar+calling&aq=f&oq=

Good luck
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 10:37
Lots of Catnip?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 11:58
I love the sound of hounds bawling!!!  Too bad they have that dumb rule!  We use them on coyotes here and that is one of the sweetest sounds!
take em!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 13:11
If he's comming in from behind.........................................Who decides which way behind is?

Maybe we got the wrong perception of the back door. Wouldn't it be more accurate to watch down wind? Plus they like high ground, so even though it may be more difficult to watch it would give the cat what he wants and the hunter better odds of a score. I'm just thinkin out loud as I've never set up for a cat.
cathunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 15:56
Sgt. D. your right they hunt from higher ground, you will usually find them on steep terrain, cliffs, outcroppings and such, next to spruce woods, high vegitation woods, bassically anywhere where deer are, and where they have ground cover (without that, they wont even try hunting the deer). But they mostly hunt from steep terrain and jump down at their prey, ground is they're last resort.
Basically to set up for a cat you find that certain area with deer, ground cover, and steep terrain. Once you find that you take a look around to see and get to know the area, and find what looks like the cats will be coming from. Once you get a good area, you either set up on ground next to a steep mountain or cliff that goes up over 35-40 feet (cats will jump down at their prey from any height below that, and when you find that certain spot you absolutely HAVE to make sure your in a little clearing (from ground cover), but not a big clearing, just enough so the cat can't come up and suprise you. Usually find a clearing where you are atleast 40 feet from ground cover (because cougars can jump on level ground over 25 ft. some have been known to jump farther than that though). But I personally like to set up on top of a steep and narrow hill top or small mountain, where you are atleast 20 ft. from any cliff or outcropping below you (cougars can jump straight up up to 15-20 feet.)  This way you can get a good look around the area, not in just one general spot
-Dustin
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 17:53
I would suggest a digital call of a doe in distress, or a young buck in distress. these should do well for a scavenging species, cougars will always take an easy meal over a hard gotten one.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic