OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which one

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasttrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which one
    Posted: January/09/2005 at 12:27

Hi, newbie at this, but here goes. I am in the process of of getting a custom barrel made in a 260 rem. for a Thompson/Encore. The gun will be used mainly for hunting mulies, antelope and at the range. I'd like to know what you experts would recommend. I have broken it down into two groups. Group # 1 scopes up to $250.00 and Group # 2 scopes in the $ 300 to $ 400.00 range.

Group # 1

$198 Burris fullfield w/spot scope 3-9x40

$199 Bushnell 3200 3-9x40

$203 Sightron Sll 3-9x42

$250 Weaver grand slam 3-10x40

Group # 2

$293 Sightron Sll 3-12x42

$298 Sightron Sll 3.5-10x42

$300 Nikon monarch 3-9x40

$300 Leupold vxll 3-9x40

$397 Burris signature 3-10x40

$399 Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40 

Which one would you guys pick in each group and why.

I am having a hard time making a decision   

Any help, Please   (hey these smilies are cool)

THANKS

P.S. great web site

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2005 at 16:56

Hi.

I would go with the Nikon Monarch. You can't beat it for the money.

Monarch is a top shelf scope, for a fraction of the cost.........ct

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
lasttrack View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasttrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2005 at 18:16

I have heard or read some were, that the monarch will black out with a small movement of your head, and the adjustments, have significant play in them after the click. Have you noticed any of these problems with your Nikon?

Any recommendations for a scope in group 1

carolinaflats View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2005 at 21:05

I like the Bushnell elite in group one and the nikon in group two, also if you search around you could probably find a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for around 400 bucks.

Bart Simpson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2005 at 21:55

Group #1- Burris, fully multicoated, light. I don't have access to Sightron in my area but I've heard they would be worth a look. Had a B&L 3000, liked it, but thought it needed full multi.

Group #2- I had a Nikon 3-9x40 that was sold on a rifle. Light and bright, good all around scope but, yes, to me, it was sensitive to eye position. Replaced with a Zeiss 3-9x40. If the Sightron looks good to you, I'd save the $95 and go 3-9x40. I personally don't favor Leupold, the 4200 has an odd objective bell shape(IMO), and the Burris Signature 3-9x50 PL that I had did not seem as bright as others( even though it was tough and really stayed on zero).

Good Luck.

Carl in N. FL
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2005 at 03:42

I never noticed any problems with parallax and the Monarch, once it was adjusted properly.

I do notice a "tube effect" when I look through a Nikon though. Others look through the same scope and notice nothing. Maybe it's me.

Of all the scopes you mentioned, and to stay in your price range, I'd go with the Monarch. The Conquest is a little more money, but a better scope IMO...

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2005 at 06:46
In group one Sightron S2 3-9x42 is the best glass.

In group two, current production Burris Signature Select scope is top dog.  But with Sightron 3.5-10x42 you lose very little performance and save a hundred bucks.

Generally, I'd recommend getting that Sightron S2 3-9x42 from group 1  and spending more money on quality binoculars.

Ilya
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2005 at 10:55

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

In group one Sightron S2 3-9x42 is the best glass.

+1

lasttrack View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasttrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2005 at 18:47

In the next day or two, I'll go and take a look at the Sightron ll, Burris Signature, the elite 3200 and the monarch.

The Sightron ll sounds good and I can use the extra money for a new pair of quality binoculars, but if I find a conquest for $400 I will buy them.

Why is the Sightron ll 3.5-10x42 an extra $95.00?

Is it because of the bigger zoom or is it different glass or the way they coat?

And why don't you sell them (Sightron) on this site, I would just as well buy them from you guys as anyone else?

My long list is finally starting to become my short list of scopes to go look at.

Thanks for the help guys..............

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 04:49
Go with the Burris Signature or the Bushnell 4200!
lasttrack View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasttrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2005 at 20:54

Thanks for all the tips in this post, and all the other post's that I have read, it was help full.

OK, yesterday I went and spent the whole day comparing scopes.

Here is what I came up with in this order..... (IMO and for my eye)

#1 Zeiss conquest ( Images just seemed to jump back at me, clear & bright. but what is it with the plastic

caps)

#2 Nikon Monarch (nice scope clear & bright but to me, it seemed a little more sensitive to eye alignment)

#3 Bushnell 4200 (nice scope but the cross hairs seemed to blend out or fade a little more than the others on a

a black background)

#4 Sightron Sll (real nice scope for the money bright and clear)

There was not a Burris Signature to compare to.

Well I ended up buying the Conquest 3-9x40 and I found another deal on a 3.5-10x44 Conquest that I couldn't pass up, and bought it also ( if wife finds out I am dead)

The question I have is the 44mm scope going to have to have taller rings than the 40mm?....and if anyone out their has both these scopes, which one do you like the best out of the two, and why? 

Thanks............ dead man if wife finds out    

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic