OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon vs Leatherwood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulibird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon vs Leatherwood
    Posted: October/29/2008 at 00:23

I'm looking at the Nikon 6-18x 40mm ($350) or the Leatherwood 6-18x 50mm (similar $). Both with BDC reticle. Have used Nikons before, but nothing from Leatherwood. Glass is going on a Savage 12BVSS .22-250, for use on PDs and paper at 500 yds +. Considering this a starter scope. Would like to spend more, but if go beyond $350, I'll be cutting into my ammo budget. Any thoughts on these two, or recommendations on others in $300-350 range greatly appreciated.
WWHBD?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 07:01
I would go Nikon, just because they are very well known for the quality being spot on. While this is a starter scope, it is a good place to start. I have no experience with Leatherwood, just know that what I've heard I personally wouldn't go that route.

Edit to add

WELCOME to OPTICS TALK

Edited by cyborg - October/29/2008 at 07:03
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
paulibird View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulibird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 22:19
Thanks Cyborg. I appreciate the reply, and I think I'm fixed on the Nikon. After posting my question last night, I read through a bunch of the old threads and found a lot of good info on Nikons and BDC. Thanks to you all the others for sharing your knowledge. 
WWHBD?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 13:17
Personally, I would go with the Leatherwood. The glass is much improved, CS is much improved, and they are REALLY trying to step up in the quality areas. I have the M1000, and, while I have not hunted with it yet, I have punched some paper and really like it. I have one of the older Sporters and the M1000 is a significant move up. There are options with the Leatherwood you can't get on other scope without paying a LOT more money.
Worth considering.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
paulibird View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulibird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 19:47
Thanks for the feedback on the Leatherwood. Too late for me now. I'm picking up the .22-250 with the Nikon tomorrow. Went with the 6-18x 40mm Buckmaster with BDC ret.
Scope choice came down to what I liked best of what I was actually able to get my hands on. Couldn't find anyone with a Leatherwood in stock.
Might still have to pick up and M-1000 and give it a try. I'm long-time subscriber to the "when in doubt, buy em both" philosophy anyway.

WWHBD?
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2008 at 14:29
I have a Nikon w/BDC SF and really LIKE IT.............
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic