OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Rifleman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Rifleman
    Posted: January/08/2005 at 17:05
I was calling around to price a Sako 75 Hunter in 300 Win mag.  When I asked the guy about mounting my scope for me he ask what kind of scope I had. When I replied that I had a Leupold Rifleman, he scoffed and said the recoil of a 300 Win mag would tear the scope up and that I should at least have Vari X II.  Does anyone think a 300 Win mag would tear up a Leupold Rifleman?
KYHunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2005 at 18:12
I wouldn't be my choice of scope, but it should handle the mag just as much as the VX-II, both are three piece tubes though which is considered by many manufacturers to not be as durable as the one piece tube design.  I beleive the VX-III is a one piece tube.  Almost all other manufacturers are one piece tubes FYI.
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2005 at 09:43
No one in their right mind would mount a Leupold Rifleman (piece of crap), instead of a burris FFII for the same money.......NOONE. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2005 at 11:20

The only thing Leupold Rifleman has going for it is Leupold's great warranty.  Aside from that you can do MUCH better for the money.  The best deal going (as Grubbs has pointed out) is Burris Fullfield II with BPlex, but there are other scopes that are good as well.

Leupold Rifleman should be tough enough to handle the recoil of 300WinMag (or Leupold will fix it for you).  However, the optics on it are subpar.  Leupold generally seems to be chargin a premium for their name recognition and warranty.  In pretty much every price range there are better scopes for the money than Leupold.  That being said, IMO, Leupold makes perfectly decent though somewhat overpriced scopes.

Ilya

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2005 at 18:09
I couldn't agree with koshkin more on this one. Leupold's reputation for durability is undisputed. However, as Koshkin pointed out, there are scope out there, such as the Burris FFII that are just as tough and have much better optics. My major beef with Lupold is this fact that they have priced themselves out of the marketI will say that part of this reason is because they have the best warranty on the market, which of course adds to the cost of their scopes.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2005 at 14:53

I know a .300 win mag will not tear up a Rifleman.  But you should at least spend a tad bit more and get the VX-I.

Leupold FAQ

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic