OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barrel Stress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 11:45
Sgt D,
Based on what has been described, I don't think this is a barrel stress issue at all.  Generally, residual barrel stress from the hammer forging or button rifling process (and standard Rem barrels are hammer forged) will show a progressive group shift as the barrel heats up and warps so that you see group stringing.  According to what you said, this isn't the case.  If you are getting otherwise round shaped groups, except for the flier, then this is probably either caused by the typical first round "fouler," or you have a bedding problem.  I can't think of any other cause.  It isn't at all uncommon for the first round of a group to fall outside the rest of the group.  Once the barrel is fouled from the first shot, the remaining bullets encounter a similar bore condition and pressure from the fouling of the previous shots, so there's more consistency.  This is why benchrest shooters generally fire a fouler round before shooting groups for record.  If you have a bedding problem, usually, you would see random fliers, not always on the first shot of a group, and you would usually see more open groups.  What doesn't make sense here is the first round flier in a fouled bore after waiting for several hours.  I agree with what was said earlier; 15 minutes or so is plenty of time for a barrel to cool down, and if this was a heat related problem, you would probably have group stringing.  Are you absolutely sure you've seen this repeated enough times that you've been able to discern a true correlation between cool down time and the presence of a flier?  What you witnessed could very well have been caused by pure chance.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 11:58
From the data I have gathered from my precision rifle.  Mine always shot 1.5 MOA low and 1 MOA left on a clean cold bore shot.  On a cold bore shot meaning it was fouled but cold it was about 1 moa low and 3/4 moa left.  After that all the shot grouped right together. 

My new barrel appears to be behaving similar but not as extreme.  But I don't have enough data yet to confirm my results.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 12:34
I agree. The more we have talked this thru the less it appears to be barrel stress. I formed that opinion based on how the action set in the bedded stock. Back to basics, I know better than to take things at first sight. But I did that here. I plan to take out some bedding in less key points and add a layer of bedding to ensure a detailed fit. Then we'll see what we get. Thanks for pointing out every possibility. And Thanks for your patients!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 06:30
Someone else's observations:

Three shots through the barrel within one minute, at one point, raised temperature from 68°F to 85°F which also had no bearing on accuracy or apparent pressure. Finally, three more shots within another minute pushed breech barrel temperature to 92°F. Now that, that...had also no measureable effect on performance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic