OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR Valdada M-series (4x24)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC ROUGHNECK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR Valdada M-series (4x24)
    Posted: October/27/2008 at 16:12

I've done pretty extensive research on these scopes but haven't really found too much feedback. I've seen it referenced numerous times, but I still have a few questions.

It's going on an AR, so I've been looking at the newer M series calibrated for .223. I haven't decided on which reticle yet, but I'm leaning toward the CQB.

Here is what I do know: The IORs have great glass, made by Schott (sp?), they are pretty rugged, CS has been lacking in the past, and their internals seem to be the only problem.

Its a FFP, with a "floating reticle".

I have yet to grasp the "floating reticle" design. It is my understanding that the reticule actually moves in the scope, so it might not be centered. Is it going to be way off to one side? or what?

Any comments/suggestions/reviews......anything you guys could contribute would be much appreciated.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 16:15
KC ROUGHNECK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC ROUGHNECK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 16:32
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 16:42
I have one of those.  I highly doubt you will have any kind of a problem with it.  Those suckers are built like a tank.  Mine gets hauled around on my wheeler gun rack all the time and gets the crap shook out of it and it holds a perfect zero. 

The reticle does move when you make adjustments.  If you buy good quality rings it should be fairly centered.  Probably a little high in the glass when you have it on 100 and it moves down when you go up to 800.  I have arms rings and mine is very close to center, not enough off that I ever notice it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 17:29
how is a fixed-power scope an "FFP" - or why would it matter?

I have a 4x hunter and like it.  IOR has hit-or-miss QC so be aware; you might get a great scope, you might get a dud.  Their glass is great, their tubes are great, their internals are suspect and prone to failure.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC ROUGHNECK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 17:51
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

That's kinda what I was wondering as well. I just figured out the difference between FFP and SFP. So.........maybe my info. is wrong.Ouch
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 17:53
I have also put this same scope on three of my buddies rifles and non of them have had a problem with them.  I have always been told that IOR fixed power scopes are their best scopes.  My one friend is a rancher and his AR rides with him in his farm truck all the time getting bounced around and beat up and his has been great for him as well. 

The BDC works quite well with 55 and 62 grain bullets.  And you have 1/2 MOA windage adjustments as well.  I think it is a steal for what they cost.  the sample list has one of them right now for $300 that is a great deal.  http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mfg_selection=54&prod_type=-1&hide_sold=false

I am looking to get a couple IOR 4x hunters in the future, with Rancids recommend and a few other folks that have them and really like them it sounds like a good scope as well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC ROUGHNECK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 17:59
I've been eyeing that scope on the samplelist for a couple of days now.

I'm thinking that it's a M1 series with the longer body. I'd prefer a M2 with the shorter body. I was planning on calling them to find out for sure, after I've decided it's what I want.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 18:32
Ya, you might be right on that, it looks a little longer than mine in a couple spots.  

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 23:42
the m2 is 8.25 in. 12 oz, the m1 10 in and 14 oz. m2 elevation turret is like a regular scope has more than 360 degrees of turn, m1 is calibrated for bullet drop has zero stop. illumination has extreme red haze and unusable on higher settings. cqb semi circle fits shoulders of IPSC target perfect at 100 yds, but hides bullets strike if your shooting at cans, etc. mil -ranging works well for a 4x power scope, also has 300, etc, circle "marker" for quick range estmation-- m1 calibrated with 308, 168 gr hpbt.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2008 at 09:29
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

illumination has extreme red haze and unusable on higher settings.

Have you tried a lower voltage battery?  I have heard that helps, I need to try it as well as you are definitely right about that. 

Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 17:01
Did using a lower voltage cell work? Also, are these optics, M1 and M2, compatible with the Larue SPR? Thank you.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 17:55
Originally posted by KC ROUGHNECK KC ROUGHNECK wrote:

That's kinda what I was wondering as well. I just figured out the difference between FFP and SFP. So.........maybe my info. is wrong.Ouch

I just saw this, thought it needed some followup for clarification...

Some fixed power scopes come with FFP, some with SFP reticles.  My Kahles ZF84, the reticle is FFP, my Conquest 4x32 MC the reticle is SFP.  Intuitively obviously, there is no observable difference in FFP vs SFP in a fixed power scope.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 19:20
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Some fixed power scopes come with FFP, some with SFP reticles.  My Kahles ZF84, the reticle is FFP, my Conquest 4x32 MC the reticle is SFP.  Intuitively obviously, there is no observable difference in FFP vs SFP in a fixed power scope.  

Once everything is zeroed, there is indeed no difference.  However, with FFP reticle location there is choice whether the reticle is centered or floating.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 19:34
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Once everything is zeroed, there is indeed no difference.  However, with FFP reticle location there is choice whether the reticle is centered or floating.

ILya
Yes, the ZF84 is floating...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic