OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Double Rifles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Double Rifles
    Posted: October/26/2008 at 10:42
Any one here own or have experience with a double rifle IE: Nitro Express.  I know the double has very little use in North America and limited use in Africa, but they are very interesting to me.  Though my available funds forbid me from having one, I'd love to own a 450/400, some day I'm going to Africa and I'm going to hunt  a "M'bogo/Inyati" better known as buffalo.  I know a .375 bolt gun is pretty much standard for buffalo, but I'd sure like the chance of taken one with a double.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
n101rg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n101rg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2008 at 20:53
Cape buffalo is also known as "black death". I lived in Liberia W Africa for about 6 months although they have "bush cow" there the opportunity to hunt in the bush never came around. Right after the civil war and UN peace keepers all over. Keep trying to get back there, however the only way I can get there is to find employment again. Kind of hard to do these days. I keep trying though gettin older every year....damn.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 09:08
Just for grins you could reline an old double shotgun and make yourself one with the help of a gunsmith buddy.  Something you could fool around with and take a deer with....Bandito

Edited by Ed Connelly - October/29/2008 at 09:09
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 09:20

You are a man after my own heart lucytuma, unfortunately my only experience is drooling over the pictures on the Holland & Holand website!

Edited by Dogger - October/29/2008 at 09:20
God save the Empire!
n101rg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n101rg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 09:39
Aren't those rifles amazing!!!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 14:57
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Any one here own or have experience with a double rifle IE: Nitro Express.  I know the double has very little use in North America and limited use in Africa, but they are very interesting to me.  Though my available funds forbid me from having one, I'd love to own a 450/400, some day I'm going to Africa and I'm going to hunt  a "M'bogo/Inyati" better known as buffalo.  I know a .375 bolt gun is pretty much standard for buffalo, but I'd sure like the chance of taken one with a double.
...................Yesterday on a hunting channel, I saw Boddington use a double for elephant hunting. The show didn`t specify the caliber. Probably one of the Nitros. I have fired them at the range, but have not hunted with one.

For the fastest follow up shot, a double is great. In that regard, for close range elephant hunting, a double would have the advantage assuming a quick two shots are all you need. But then, you have to reload.

Imo, other than close elephant work, there are no the other advantages for a double. Better for the elephants. 

With 3 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber using a bolt, I wonder which would be faster in getting off 4 rounds, the double or the bolt?? I like my chances with a bolt without any reloading. 

Also, those doubles aren`t exactly light in weight to lug around in 100-110+ degree African heat.

I`ll take the bolt with a low variable for all around African and caped buff use. Beyond 50-60 yards, assuming a closer shot isn`t available, a scope is a better idea anyway.
n101rg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n101rg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 15:57
The idea of the double rifle is not only a quick second shot, although that is the most obvious. I have watched shows where they are practicing reloading( the 2 rounds in the fingers ), they are fast. Cycling a bolt action; you must bring rifle down from target to cycle the bolt( I know you may not have to with your 270 ) then bring it back to target, re-aim and fire again. The reason for the double ( if you ask a dedicated user) is follow-up shot, redundancy (what do you do if you have a misfire or partial fire or a broken firing pin) with another chamber that will still work, and then quick to re-load.

If I have the option of acquainting myself with and using a double to hunt Elephant and Hippo and to a lesser degree "Black Death" I am sure I would feel better, (provided I could use it proficiently) using it.
Many African guides will only use a double in case their client fails to kill to keep themselves from being killed.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 16:01
That right there makes some very good sense.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 19:17
Originally posted by n101rg n101rg wrote:

The idea of the double rifle is not only a quick second shot, although that is the most obvious. I have watched shows where they are practicing reloading( the 2 rounds in the fingers ), they are fast. Cycling a bolt action; you must bring rifle down from target to cycle the bolt( I know you may not have to with your 270 ) then bring it back to target, re-aim and fire again. The reason for the double ( if you ask a dedicated user) is follow-up shot, redundancy (what do you do if you have a misfire or partial fire or a broken firing pin) with another chamber that will still work, and then quick to re-load.

If I have the option of acquainting myself with and using a double to hunt Elephant and Hippo and to a lesser degree "Black Death" I am sure I would feel better, (provided I could use it proficiently) using it.
Many African guides will only use a double in case their client fails to kill to keep themselves from being killed.
....................."Cycling a bolt action; you must bring the rifle down from the target, re-aim and fire again."...............Not necessarily! With some practice, one can re-cycle the bolt (during recoil recovery and barrel re-settling) while keeping the rifle`s butt securely against the shoulder, re-aim and fire very quickly. Either on the "gunsandammo" or "shootingtimes" magazine site, there is a video showing a Howa bolt in 300 Win being rapidly cycled without bringing the rifle down from the shoulder to do so.

With the heavier recoiling calibers it does take some extra practice using a bolt action.

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 19:24
Correction!...............The video is on the "rifleshootermag" website!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 19:29

1981  I worked in a gunstore in San Antonio while attending Police academy. The owner was quite the africa hunter and had a great fondness for double rilfes. I have had the opportunity to examine quite a few of them and have a couple of friends who have hunted Africa with them.  They are an absolute work of art but I simply can not justify the price on what I make.  I'd say buy an Encore - think of it as half of a double rifle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
n101rg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n101rg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2008 at 22:58
Yes I agree that you can with practice cycle a rifle in recoil, you cannot recover as fast as a double rifle and hunting dangerous game in Africa if you have a malfunction(case separation, primer pocket blows up, firing pin, etc etc etc. I would prefer to have another chamber sitting there just begging to be reloaded or fired. Sorry your argument won't win with me, not with dangerous game like elephant, and hippo,especially. I want every chance I can of going home in the seat not a box.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 02:18
Originally posted by n101rg n101rg wrote:

Yes I agree that you can with practice cycle a rifle in recoil, you cannot recover as fast as a double rifle and hunting dangerous game in Africa if you have a malfunction(case separation, primer pocket blows up, firing pin, etc etc etc. I would prefer to have another chamber sitting there just begging to be reloaded or fired. Sorry your argument won't win with me, not with dangerous game like elephant, and hippo,especially. I want every chance I can of going home in the seat not a box.
..............Well! You`re right! A double can get 2 rounds off faster assuming that is all the firepower that is needed! A definite advantage! But 4 rounds? I don`t think so!

You gotta reload after firing round #2.... After your 2nd round you have to bring a double down from the shoulder, open `er up, load up, then re-shoulder, aim and fire. That`s where a well practiced, stand up, fast bolt operator will more than catch up. I`ll get 4 rounds off with accuracy, before a double can..............Come home in a box? I wouldn`t bet on it! 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 10:55
Since I've been reading Boddington for over twenty years I like what he has to say. http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/Double+or+Magazine?packedargs=pagenum%3D1
Double guns are sweet. All of mine are shotguns, but they are the only gun I carry for upland. I wish I could afford a double rifle but they are way beyond me.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 10:59
I don't think it is about the amount of firepower Squeeze it is about the ability to still use your weapon if it has a failure.  Sounds pretty thought out and smart to me.  Same reason people carry back up guns.  But with this it is already right in your hand.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 11:22
The doubles as I have stated, do have some advantages; up to and including 2 quick shots. In most cases, that is enough!

I don`t plan to, nor do I have the desire to ever hunt hippos or elephants. Caped buffs? Yep!

I guess I`ll just have to put up with my bolt!........Dammit!............Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
n101rg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n101rg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 12:54
I stick by my original premise. Quality double rifles eject the spent cartridges of fired chambers making them very fast to drop two fresh cartridges in. The trick is hitting the target properly with the FIRST SHOT and having the rest as a backup. If all you plan on is hunting in Africa is "Bush Cow" and want to use a low power scope and shoot at 100 to 200 yards you bet 375H&H or similar cartridge works great. However if that Cape Buffalo runs off into the bush trailing blood waiting for me to trail him up I want that guide to have a double backing me up when I get in the thick brush which is where he will be waiting either dead or very much alive and very pissed off.

Sure hope I don't run into an elephant or hippo down by the river either. If I go to Africa again and am lucky enough to get to hunt I will probably be stuck with a bolt action or a 95 Winchester or something like that cause I can't afford a double H&H rifle, but I can dream can't I.

Don't take this so seriously we are speculating and expressing opinions here that is all.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 13:22
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

I guess I`ll just have to put up with my bolt!........Dammit!............Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

Like the majority of us that will pony up the dollars to go. I might consider a larger bore than my .375 H&H, though.
BTW, there was a .375 H&H flanged magnum specifically for doubles.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 15:25
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I'm with you lucytuma!  I've fondled a couple and it was pure joy.  It was like pointing my finger.  BS can keep his bolt, me, I don't want to cycle a bolt if my life flashes before my eyes!
take em!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 17:12
I think I've read that you should be able to  fire a double gun four times, quicker than you than you can fire a bolt gun four times.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic