OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Buckmaster vs. Primos...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Buckmaster vs. Primos...
    Posted: October/26/2008 at 10:31
I am trying to decide between the Nikon Buckmaster and Primos models.  I know the Primos model is the old Monarch model rebadged.  I also know that the Primos offers a little better light transmission.  What I am trying to determine is the internal components...are the internal components any better in the Primos than the Buckmaster or are you simply paying for the little better glass?  In other words, is the Buckmaster more likely to loose it's zero or to fog up than the Primos model because of cheaper internal parts and seals?  Thanks for any comments back...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2008 at 14:06
the price difference is enough to make me buy the primos, i have one i also have a buckmaster and an older monarch i would take the primos/monarch in a heart beat over the buckmaster, there really isnt a lot to compare with them, the monarch/primos is nice, eye relief is excellent and the glass is as well, as far as recoil issues, i havent experienced any with any nikon scope, i recommend the primos to you.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2008 at 15:10
bb - are you wondering because you don't really like the BDC?  If you can live with the BDC, it's really a no-brainer, get the Primos!
take em!
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2008 at 16:17
Yeah...I don't really want (need) the BDC.  My max range will be 200 yards, so I see no need for the BDC.  There is also about a $40 difference in price (wholesale) between the two.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2008 at 20:36
i dont need the bdc either but after a couple of range sessions with it you will not be bothered by it, the glass difference is the selling point for the primos to me
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2008 at 21:13
I have a Buckmaster 3-9X40 mounted on a BAR in .243 - its my 14 yr old Son's deer rifle.  If I were in the market for a Buckmaster today, I would get the Primos and try and adjust to the BDC! 
take em!
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 16:02
Buy the Primos Monarch over the Buckmaster scope, both are made at the same factory.If you want a better scope buy the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 or the Sightron Big Sky both are made in Japan better optics and customer service. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 16:06
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

If you want a better scope buy the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 or the Sightron Big Sky both are made in Japan better optics and customer service. 

I'm not so sure the 4200 is "better" than the Monarch. Most here (including myself) think the 4200 and the Monarch are too close to call optically speaking.

I don't know about the Big Sky. Haven't seen one.   
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 22:09
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

If you want a better scope buy the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 or the Sightron Big Sky both are made in Japan better optics and customer service. 

I'm not so sure the 4200 is "better" than the Monarch. Most here (including myself) think the 4200 and the Monarch are too close to call optically speaking.

I don't know about the Big Sky. Haven't seen one.   
Ditto
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 10:35
The Primos is a Monarch, and as such it is in every detail the equal to the Elite 4200, save one, and that is the rain guard, which in and of itself is not a selling point for me. There are too many good products out there that will allow for the same type of moisture prevention.
Further more, the fact that the 4200, and the Sightron use Japanese glass is a moot issue, since the Monarch does as well.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 11:16
just curious.... how is the "new" Monarch different from the "old-Prmos" Monarch?  I thought there was an optic upgrade vs just feature upgrade with the new one?
take em!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 12:01
The Team Primos is an older Monarch UCC. The newer Monarch are slightly better glass wise, and have the 4X erectors. I'm sure there are a few other differences as well.
Still the UCC is a very good scope for the price point, especially the Team Primos.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 21:48
better eye box too, courtesy of cheaptrick
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic