OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Chris - ? about New Leupold Gold Ring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chris - ? about New Leupold Gold Ring
    Posted: January/07/2005 at 18:49
According to an outdoor magazine I was reading recently Leupold is coming out with a new Gold Ring selection of full-size binoculars. 

Any idea when we should see these listed on your site?
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2005 at 17:21

New products will slowly get listed starting next week.  The new Leupold Gold Ring Spotters are:

58390 15-30x50 Kit.....$499.99

58345 12-40x60 HD.....$1099.99

58350 12-40x60 HD Kit.....$1299.99

60040 12-40x60 Mark 4 with TMR reticle.....$1099.99

chasseur106 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 02:49

I went directly to the Leupold web site when I read these commentaries about Leupold's new binocular offerings.  They look great, but when I questioned them as to when and where they were going to be released.  I was told that it sometimes "takes a while" to get new products to the market.  That I should be patient.  I could not even get a suggested retail price from them.  All I know is that I would not buy a Wind River if my life depended on it.  It seems to me as though they are just like a Bushnell, thousands upon thousands can be made cheaply.  I want American quality, and if I have to pay through the nose for it... Well then I figure it is better because at least an American is being paid a fair wage.... Not some political prisoner in a far off country being told that he must work here and make these cheap-ass bino's for nothing, other than his "priveledge" of sleeping in this nice Chinese jail, that originally imprisoned him for having one too many kids, or speaking his mind.

Chasseur

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 15:14

Chasseur106, I could be wrong about this, but it is probably safe to say that Golden Ring binoculars will be made in the same place where better Wind River binoculars are made (Pinnacle and Olympic).  Regardless of where the assembly occurs optical components will be manufactured in Japan and shipped to a final assembly spot in Japan or elsewhere.  Pinnacles along with some Celestron binoculars (same binocular, different label) are made fully in Japan.

Ilya

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 21:04
Unless Leupold decides to make a tragic (and definately ill-advised) break from their many-decades-old standard, the new Gold Ring Binoculars will be made right here in the good old US of A.  That is, after all, one of the primary hallmarks of the Gold Ring line.  There just is no reasonalbe logic that would lend to a conclusion that these new models will break from that tradition.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 21:14
Regardless of where they are assembled the lenses are going to be Japanese-made like the rest of Leupold products.  Alternatively, they may decide to assemble them where the rest of their binoculars are made: Japan.

Ilya
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 23:06

To the best of my knowledge, Leupold has never made a set of binos in the U.S.  I believe that all gold Rings have been made in Japan.

ranburr

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2005 at 03:57

I received two posts directly from the Leupold  & Steven company Technical people, who assure me that they expect these binoculars to be the best in the world and also MADE IN U.S.A.  In their Portland, Oregon Plant.

Say what you want about high end binoculars coming from Japan, I never see them even given honorable mention in any gun writer's list of the "Ten best binoculars made"

Whether here or anywhere.   Most often the binoculars we see as being ranked among the best are made (Auf Deutschland) in Germany.   Maybe some of the bottom rated ones are made in Japan, but they will not do any time hanging from my neck.

I have decided to wait for the American made binoculars from Leupold and buy them if I deem them worthy.   If I don't then I guess I will dig a little deeper into my budget and come up with a few more Euro's for the SwarovZeissLeica bunch of twin oculars.

Auf Weider Sehen,

Chasseur

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2005 at 12:20

That "Made in America" statement should read "Assembled in America".  I can assure you that the lenses and other components will come from Japan.  I would not put too much stock in anything that gun writers say.  They make their real money on advertising dollars.  I do think that the best binos come from Germany and Austria, but the top endbinos from Nikon, Pentax, and others are right up there.

ranburr

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2005 at 18:01
Generally speaking, gun writers are not the people who know the most about binoculars.  If you want to know what the best binocular is talk to birders.  There equipment focus is primarily on binoculars; they spend very little time with spotting scopes and have no need to worry about the other stuff on hunters' minds:  riflescopes, rifles, ammo, etc.

Experienced birders certainly have a lot of appreciation for top German brands: Leica, Zeiss and Swaroski.  However, they will also tell you that Nikon Venturer LX is second to none among the roof prisms and Nikon Superior E porros are optically better than or equal to anything else out there, bar none.  That goes along with my personal observations as well.  I could add IOR porros to the list as well.  Recently I also had a look at Fujinon 7x50 binocular (do not remeber which model) and it pretty incredible.  I'll need to try to spend more time with it.

If you can't afford to drop a grand or more for a set of binoculars, you'd be hard pressed to find something better than Pentax DCF SP.

Ilya
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2005 at 02:39

There are many criteria that go into the standard of being MADE IN U.S.A.  I am sure that Leupold and Stevens did there homework before telling me that their new Binoculars were going to be  made here... Most of what they say is proven true by the quality of their products.   With other scope companies that is not always the case.

A friend of mine is in the Manufacturing business, and he assures me that you do not want to incur the wrath of the governing boards that dictate those standards. 

As far as Ilya was stating about them using Japanese glass, well o.k., I can live with that.  I just want as much of what I go out and shoot with to be made here, because HERE is where "My Home" is for me and always will be.  I might move to Alaska someday, but it will still be in the U.S. of A.

I not really into the concept of outsourcing our jobs to other nations... My brother just lost his computer job to  an Indian, from India, because he could work for the company at one third less than my brother.   Not kosher if you ask me.   The other thing is that the man that took my job is not paying any taxes here in the U.S.A.  He does not live here in the U.S. A, so go figure that one out , those of you that do not want   President Bush to mess with Social Security.

No need to say anything more you now know where I stand, and why.

Chasseur

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2005 at 12:49

We should probably move this to the anything goes section, but I had to respond to that last statement.  I for one cannot wait for my money to leave that broken gov't welfare system known as social security.  I welcome the privitized accounts, I just wish that I did not have to pay into the system at all and I could invest the money as I see fit.  Outsourcing is being forced on U.S. companies.  Frivolous lawsuits and an out of control gov't (at all levels) has forced corporate America to outsource so that they can remain competitive.  I am sorry to hear about your personal experiences with layoffs, (it happens to lots of people, myself included), but a company's first responsibility is to their shareholders.  If they cannot meet the needs of the shareholders, then changes must be made. 

ranburr

gremlin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2005 at 18:11
I don't know about the political banter and whether social security influences my optics decisions (), but I do know that Koshkin hit it on the head when he said if you want to know binoculars, talk to birders!

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a thousand bucks worth of Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski buys you a fabulous binocular.  As a long time member of  both the Audubon Society and the N.R.A. (which makes for some interesting discussions at the Audubon meetings), I can tell you that most birders pay extremely close attention to the best quality optical picture  (as determined by sharpness of center image, brilliance of colors, and ability to avoid chromatic aberrations in high contrast settings) in the $200-$350 range.  They factor in eye relief (the average age at most of my meetings is 50+, so glasses are a common denominator), wide field of view, close focus, and waterproofing.

When you get a birder talking about binoculars, they'll wax poetic about Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, Bausch & Lomb Elites, and Nikon Venturers, and then you'll hear the words, "but I can't afford those".  Then there's a very likely chance you'll see them hold up a pair of Eagle Optics Platinum Rangers (Celestrons in an Eagle Optics wrapper), Pentax DCF's, or Bushnell Legends.  If they're carrying porro's, 75% of the time it will be Swift  820 Audubons .  The other 25% of the time it will be a vintage pair of Bausch & Lombs or Nikons.

You'll seldom if ever see a birder on a birdwalk with a pair of Steiner porros,  Burris, Weaver, or Dockters.  Those are considered "hunting" binoculars by most birders and not the choice of serious birders (although the Steiner Peregrine's have been showing up on occasion--allegedly they give the Zeiss Victory II's a run for their money in brightness).  Leuopold Pinnacles are found more often than any of the other "hunting" brands amongst the various groups that I bird with in Illinois, Kentucky, and Indiana.  The Katmai series is developing a reputation for a broad variety of features in a very small handy package.

If the Gold Rings exceed the quality of the Pinnacles substantially, then they'll probably be develop a reputation as a  quality birder binocular.  But at what they're probably going to cost, most birders will just add them to the list of "too expensive to really afford" and go right back to the Pentax DCF, Swift Audubon, Bushnell Legend, and Eagle Optics Platinum Rangers.  All of those are in that $200-$350 sweet spot and for the money most birders will tell you those are the four best values in some flavor or another.

Just my two cents,

Take the long way home...
GaryO View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2005 at 10:09

Try this link for birders reviews....Dittos to Gremlin. I wish I had said that. Wish we could talk without the sermons and soapboxes....

http://betterviewdesired.com/

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2005 at 00:01

BVD is a questionable source at best.  Some of the technical talk is good, but the owner now works for Zeiss and used to advertisements for Leupold and others.

ranburr

GaryO View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2005 at 10:03

How about these other sites?

http://optics4birding.com/reviews.aspx

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/binocs2004reviews.html

Worth a look see? Just what is an "Optics Professional"?

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2005 at 12:18

Just remeber that optics4birding is trying to sell you something and the Porters are famous for being for sale.  You can get some good info off of all the sites.  But you also get a lot of hype.  Take it all with a grain of salt.  Not to mention the fact that birders know what they want, which is not always the same as a hunter.  They will always substitute true color representation for low light performance, ruggedness and waterproffness are not really issues for them.

ranburr 

STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2005 at 13:35
I agree Hunting and birding binoculars are 2 different things. For a hunting binocular I am looking for ruggedness, waterproof, clarity and low light performance. Birders will most likely go for clarity and colour rendetion as a foremost criteria in their optics choice.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2010 at 12:19
liyi,

I think you took a wrong turn, somewhere, in your golf cart.  Big Grin
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2010 at 12:25
That's great Stan!

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic