OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting with the SS10x42M

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting with the SS10x42M
    Posted: October/22/2008 at 13:54
Hi, I,m a newbie.

I am wondering if I made the wrong choice for a scope.

I am new to scopes of this caliber.
I have a new Amalite AR-10A4 16" coming and I am going to hunt white tail with it(to help justify my purchase;))

My question:
I have been reading good news about the SS's at 200 yds. and beyond.

Will I be able to use it efectivly in the 50 to 100 yard range?

I plan to zero to 100yds. with fed.gold metal match or ballistic silvertip.

Thank you.
Mason
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2008 at 14:31
Yes, it will do just fine in the 50-100 yard range, just remember to make sure to adjust the parralax for 100 yards and you'll be fine.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
mason View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2008 at 17:11
Thank you!
I originally wanted the SS but ordered a Burris Tac 30 wich went to back-order status, so I took the plunge and changed the order to SS 10x42M.

I have some homework now before the deer opener.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2008 at 08:14
Want to take the guess work out of it:

+

MD1 Mil-Dot%20Master%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Mil-Dot Master
  • Estimating Target Size
  • Determining Range to Target
  • Correcting for Bullet Drop
  • Correcting for Wind Drift
  • Correcting for Uphill/Downhill
  • Correcting Correction to Mil (holdover)
  • Correcting Correction to MOA (sight adjustment)
SWFA: $29.95
More%20Info... Buy%20Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - October/23/2008 at 08:15

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2008 at 22:42
Just be aware and remember that your field of view is going to be in the neighborhood of 13ft, vs a 4x which would be in the neighborhood of 30ft, 2.5x 60+ft. Acquisition on a fast moving target is more difficult at close ranges. CAN mean the difference between taking the animal and not. Practice a lot acquiring target at 25-100yd before going to the woods with it. You'll thank me later...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mason View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2008 at 11:10
Kickboxer,

That is good information and I will thank you now....Thankyou!

RU Grendel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RU Grendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 23:20
I have my rifle set at a 200 yard zero currently, but when I was developing loads, my 100 yard zero was very consistant with the SS. My groups were always less than .5" with factory rounds, and averaged .30" with my handloads. The SS is very good for holding zero so you should see excellent results with your scope as long as you are doing your part.
RU Grendel
24" 6.5 Grendel Overwatch
SS 10x42
mason View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 19:55
Well I did the break-in for my Armalite AR-10 16" barrel today.

I love my ss scope but honestly I have zero technique with a scope after all. I used a lazer boresight to get close, I thought. It was bad, at 100yds lying prone I could not hit a 3 inch cricle. I feel bullets were all over in a 10 inch circle down to the right. when I would adjust it got worse, maybe I was frustrated wasting $2.25 shot after shot.(168grain silver tips and 168gr. Gold med match)

Well it's like I said earlier, I'm a newby to scope use.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2008 at 10:40
This likely to be an issue more with getting used to the rifle and how you should hold it, compound that with the ammunition which might not be what she shoots the best, and there you could easily have some problems with getting groups.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2008 at 09:10
Mason,

Here's a trick for your AR. depending on ring height.  Zero the scope at 25 yards than move out to 100 yards. You will find that you'll be within a half inch of cutting dead center if your weapon is sub MOA.  AR-10s are not known for better than 1.5 MOA out of the box unless it's been set up as a match weapon from the factory. Also, use sand bags or a rifle vise type set up to get the most accuracy from the weapon after that your going to have to find the ammo your weapon likes. 168s, 175s, 155s.  It's really up to the barrel to choose.  It being an auto loader it takes a lot to get it to sub MOA grouping.
But it's fun trying to get there!!!!

Also you can try  Tubb final finish bore lapping system it work pretty good. Saves you a lot of range time shooting in the barrel.

Again,

Welcome to the OT.

Mike

Edited by Steelbenz - October/31/2008 at 09:20
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2008 at 17:54

Keep chipping away at it and think about reloading to get the cost down in the long run.  Some of these guns shoot well and some dont, but most can.  I think the Tubb final finish bullets might be a good place to start. What scope rings are you using that can sometimes  be an issue.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mason View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2008 at 20:26
Thanks for the encouragment guys. I knew this rifle would not punch the same holes at 100 yards but what I got the first day totaly rained on my parade (and I'm a Shriner!) LOL!

I am using the Armalite one peice 30mm ring base and have been following break in to a tee.

Tomarrow I am going to compare some 150gr. rounds and will start with
25 yards. I'll be happy if I can get them into that damn 3" circle by next weekend's opener.

I have an old Lyman T-Mag press but a XL-650 progressive with auto case trimmer sounds nice...maybe next year.

I will check out the Tubbs finish bullets also.

Thank you all.
INDIA CO. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INDIA CO. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2008 at 09:07
WOW! A lot of good info provided here. This actually saved me a post. I am brand spanking new to shooting with a scope myself and have yet to get my rig together due to work and family obligations. Once the end of November comes around, I will hopefully be able to go out and get everything together and get on paper with my new purchases. I am not a computer guy, but I am glad that I joined this forum and look forward to tapping it for all the great information and insight.
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
mason View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2008 at 09:18
Well yesterday I tried 3 different brands of 150gr. at 25 yards. Fusion, Winchester, Federal, all were soft point. I'm still only using a crude rest for the rifle but goupings were consistant. I then swithched back to 2 rounds of 168 gr. Silver Tips and they flew outside my 150 goups by 1/2 of an inch. I will try to get a 100yd shot this week.
RonDodson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonDodson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 12:42
Did you ever think of sighting it in with economy ammo. Say Remington corelocks. They are half the price of fusion and have killed way more animals.Also sounds like it might like 150's better than 168's.I do a lot of target shooting with fmj bullets and then fine tune with my premium loads.
R.D.
mason View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2008 at 22:31
Saturday afternoon at 5pm 2 Does and a buck came into my fire lane about 70 yards away and I took the Buck and one Doe. We are in a intensive harvest area and can take 4 Doe and a Buck per person.

The reason I started with the pricy ammo was I had read one time the
Armalites would not feed soft points consistantly....well I have found that not to be the case with my rifle it has run on all types so far.
Walmart has had the best prices on Fed, Win, Rem ammo this season.

The SS-10X42M gathers light very well in the early predawn and late evening dusk. I had a blast with the side parralex knob scanning the forests and fence rows being able to quickly focus as distances changed.

It was about 20 to 28 degrees all day with drizzling freezing rain/snow and the scope and AR-10 worked perfect. Yes the knobs stiffen up but loosen up if you are using them.

I recommend the 10X42M for all you that are considering one.

Thank you SWFA for a great scope.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2008 at 00:01
Good to hear Mason.  Meat in the freezer is the best advertising one can get in my opinion.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic