OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Scope for CZ 550 in 9.3x62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Scope for CZ 550 in 9.3x62
    Posted: October/21/2008 at 12:33

I just got a CZ 9.3x62mm Full Stock.  I'm trying to decide between the following scopes.  Any opinions welcome. They are in no particular order, except I'm leaning toward one of the top 4 listed below:

1) Zeiss 1.8-5.5x32 Conquest

2) Burris Sig Sel 1.5-6x40 Posi-lock

3) Zeiss 2.5-8x32

4) Burris Sig Sel 1.75-5x32 Posi-lock

5) Leupold VX-III 1.75-6x32

6) Nikon Monarch 2-8x32

Thanks in advance for the help.

7)
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 13:01
I'm thinking the 2.5-8x32 Zeiss would be nice. I like the power range there. I also like the 2-8x32 Monarch for the same reason.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 13:08

I think any and all are great choices, not a bad one in the bunch.  I think the power selection is right on.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 13:16
Thanks.  With the power selection being what it is, and the opportunity to pick up the Zeiss for $350, that may be the way I go.  That in the 2-8 is probably the right medicine...just have to figure out how much I can get away with with "Household 6."  I've also never gotten a bad Monarch, and it's cheaper.  Burris is more expensive than I can pick up the Zeiss, but I have, and like, the posi-lock on heavy recoiling handguns.  With that said, what do y'all think between these:

Zeiss 2.5-8x32
Nikon 2-8x32
Burris 1.75-6x40 p/l
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 13:32
Both the Zeiss and the Monarch have better glass, albeit that the Monarch is only slightly better. The Zeiss is the best optically of the three.
I assume it is no coincidence that you have them listed in the order of optical performance.
I also don't think that the locking option is necessary.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 13:49

I'd go Zeiss ...but all are good options

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 14:09
I'd stick on the Zeiss 2.5X8 Conquest.   Neat combination!!  
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 14:35
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

I just got a CZ 9.3x62mm Full Stock.  I'm trying to decide between the following scopes.  Any opinions welcome. They are in no particular order, except I'm leaning toward one of the top 4 listed below:

1) Zeiss 1.8-5.5x32 Conquest

2) Burris Sig Sel 1.5-6x40 Posi-lock

3) Zeiss 2.5-8x32

4) Burris Sig Sel 1.75-5x32 Posi-lock

5) Leupold VX-III 1.75-6x32

6) Nikon Monarch 2-8x32

Thanks in advance for the help.

7)
........................All above are good choices! I am also a believer in properly matching a scope`s magnification on the low and high ends to the cartridge, for what I assume will be for your hunting purposes.

The 9.3 is a short to medium range range big game round out to about (give or take) 300 yards. With that stated and for hunting use imo, a 6x max is certainly more than you`ll need for that round or for any game you would hunt with that rifle.

On short to medium range rifles for timber and brush use, especially if dangerous bears are involved, I`m a bigger fan of the lighter, sleeker, faster aiming, 1" straight tubed scopes, with wider fov`s along the lines of the 1-4x20`s, 1.5-5x20`s, etc.

For lower light situations, the larger objectives will have a slight advantage for increased light gathering. But for acquiring and aiming speed for moving game or otherwise, for reduced weight, and for wider fov`s, the lower variabled straight tubers will have the advantage.    
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 14:48
You're correct the application will be hunting.  Your post is one reason the 1.8-5.5 looks attractive.  In any event, I do like to turn up the power on 300 yd shots, which makes the 8x more appealing.  Having never owned a lower-powered (i.e. less than 3x) scope, I welcome any experience in the difference in target acquisition, etc. between 1.8x and 2.5x on the low end of the zeiss.  Also any thoughts on the Burris SS glass versus the conquest is welcome.  Thanks.

Deck
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 15:09

Somewhat related, I noticed that there are really only 3 choices on SWFA for rings for the CZ - Millett, Burris, and Leupold.  I read on another thread that some folks have had problems with the Millett.  Any recommendations between the three?  For those of you that don't know CZ very well, they have an 11mm mount machined into the receiver.  Any recommendations between these three would be appreciated greatly.  Thanks.

Deck 
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 16:47
I have Zeiss, Leupold, Trijicon (ACOG) Weaver, IOR and Kahles scopes
I also have a Burris EuroDiamond 1.5-6 with the #3 ill dot reticle and will be getting another one.  it's a fantastic scope, very, very sharp, clear and bright with a fast on target reticle and the ill dot is perfect for very low light or night hunting
it is right there optically with the Zeiss and Kahles and is better to my eyes than the IOR 1.1-4 that I just got

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 16:59

You're correct the application will be hunting.  Your post is one reason the 1.8-5.5 looks attractive.  In any event, I do like to turn up the power on 300 yd shots, which makes the 8x more appealing.  Having never owned a lower-powered (i.e. less than 3x) scope, I welcome any experience in the difference in target acquisition, etc. between 1.8x and 2.5x on the low end of the zeiss.  Also any thoughts on the Burris SS glass versus the conquest is welcome.  Thanks.

Deck
..............For hunting? I thought so! But with regard to the 1.8-5.5x38 Zeiss, take a closer look at something.

Granted! The Zeiss offers great glass, but look at its dimensions and weight. 13.5" long? And 18 oz. of weight? A little long and heavy for a lower powered variable? Geees! There are 4.5-14x40`s out there, that are the same length or less, and weigh less too. When it comes to the size and weight design, I`ll  disagree with the boys at Zeiss on this one!! My own 1.5-5x20 VX3 is less than 10" long and weighs only 9.5 oz.

8x may seem more appealing for your longer 300 yard shots. But! When you go up in the magnification, you also magnify what else? Your wobble or lack of steadiness which there is always some. You react to what your eyes see based on the signals to and from the brain. The lower the magnification the steadier you`ll be. That applies to everyone.

When you have a lower powered variable such as a 1x, a 1.5x, a 1.75x, up to 2.5x on the low end and including the the EER scout scopes, these scopes with some practice, are able to acquire your target, moving or otherwise, without squinting your non-aiming eye. Not only do you have the FOV as seen through the scope with the aiming eye, you also further increase the FOV because the other eye is open as well, increasing the periphial vision, which turns into quicker acquisition and aiming because you`re able to see more, which in turn, sends a faster signal to the brain and therefore a faster reaction by the user.

I have a 2.5-8x28 Nikon Monarch EER (scout position) atop my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier. Set on the 2.5x it works the same way for the fast work. But the 300 WSM is a longer range round, hence the 8x max if needed for any hunting/shooting @ 450-500 yards or more. Same way with the 1.5-5x20 VX3 mounted on my .375 Ruger Alaskan. Quick as a cat aiming if needed (for those surprises) on the low end, along with 300-350 yard precision type plains shooting if needed on the high end. Both my rifles are at home in any terrain; timber, brush, plains, mountains or whatever, because of scopes that offer both fast reactive shooting and slower more precision long range shooting. With no problem, 4x to 5x is enough magnification for deer sized game out to 300-400 yards. Certainly enough coverage for a 9.3.

I have looked through the 3x9 Conquests, but as far as the lower powered Zeiss` are concerned, I`m not familiar with them as to any fast acquiring, both eyes open capabilities. More than likely, they`ll  probably offer the quick aiming features.

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 17:03
I agree on the low powered Conquest, why so big and heavy?

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 17:06
Aimpoint 1-4?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 17:09
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

...................Your guess is as good as mine! Toooo long and heavy for such a low powered variable........Loco
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 18:36
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

...................Your guess is as good as mine! Toooo long and heavy for such a low powered variable........Loco

True, but the 2.5-8x32 is listed at only 13.75 oz. and a little over 12".  That's not too terrible - less than the Burris, less than an inch longer and about 2 oz heavier than the VX-III in 2.5-8 (the VX-III in 1.75-6 is even lighter and shorter).  I don't know, I guess I'll have to drive down to Red Oak and look through them.Big%20Grin
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 19:24

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

True, but the 2.5-8x32 is listed at only 13.75 oz. and a little over 12".  That's not too terrible - less than the Burris, less than an inch longer and about 2 oz heavier than the VX-III in 2.5-8 (the VX-III in 1.75-6 is even lighter and shorter).  I don't know, I guess I'll have to drive down to Red Oak and look through them.Big%20Grin
..................Well! You have to decide how and under what circumstances you want your scope to perform based on your terrain, range and game hunted. 3x power on up on the low end, gives you a slower performing one eyed open scope. 1x to 2.5x up to maybe a 2.75x on the low end, depending on the scope, offers you the faster performing two eyed open scope.

To get the best and real true perspective, each scope you`re looking at should be mounted on your 9.3 to try out. But since that is not feasable, picking the brains of people, reading owner reviews and reading up on each scope is your best bet. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 19:30
What kind of game are you going to hunt?  That could help a lot on the scope you get.  If it is dangerous game that could be very close then the 1x or 1.5 on the bottom would certainly be preferred.  If it is elk and larger non dangerous game then around 3x would be just fine.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 19:39
Thanks, Big Squeeze - that's exactly what I'm doing with this thread, and I've gotten great information and insight from you and others.  With respect to the types of game, I'll probably get the bug to use it on Whitetail, big feral hogs, bear, elk, and plan on heading to Africa in the next 5 years.  Of course, nothing says I can't swap out scopes before I go, though.  The more I look at it, it seems the 1.75-6x Leupold may be the way to go with this.  I'm not for certain yet.  Probably won't decide until I head down to Chris's storefront and look through all of them.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 20:26

Thanks, Big Squeeze - that's exactly what I'm doing with this thread, and I've gotten great information and insight from you and others.  With respect to the types of game, I'll probably get the bug to use it on Whitetail, big feral hogs, bear, elk, and plan on heading to Africa in the next 5 years.  Of course, nothing says I can't swap out scopes before I go, though.  The more I look at it, it seems the 1.75-6x Leupold may be the way to go with this.  I'm not for certain yet.  Probably won't decide until I head down to Chris's storefront and look through all of them.
..............Glad to help!.........Based on your above usage, I STRONGLY suggest you INCLUDE a quicker, low powered variable scope as a choice to use for that rifle.

I almost went for the 1.75-6 VX3 for my 375. For your 9.3, it has a good all around compromise and balance, without over magnifying that cartridge as well as a good size and weight, while not not being too heavy or over sized for that rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic