OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon vs Leuplod vs Bushnell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEHINES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon vs Leuplod vs Bushnell
    Posted: October/20/2008 at 10:00
I want to mount a better scope (old Tasco) on a Springfield 30-06 bolt action.  The majority of my shooting will be less than 300yards.  I would like to keep my purchase to less than $400.00 in a 3x9x40 gloss configuration.  Currently I have looked at the following: Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 @ $379.95, Bushnell Elite 4200 @ $299.95 (would have to purchase extra high rings in matte; wouldn't match gun now though) and the Leupold VX-II @ $299.95.  Thanks in advance for your opinions.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 10:20
The Nikon Monarch and the Bushnell 4200 are going to be very close optically. Both are nice scopes.
The VXII is far behind either of these scopes.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
green-grizzly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-grizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 13:11
Rather than the VX-2, I'd take a look at the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36.  They are $400, and are more competitive optically with the other scopes you are looking at.  The Leupold will certainly be lighter.

That being said I'd get the 4200; it probably has the best glass and I really like the Rainguard.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 15:44
http://www.swfa.com/pc-8758-2201-nikon-25-10x42-monarch-riflescope.aspx
Nikon comes in gloss. Thunbs%20Up

How bout the Bushy?? No%20No No Sir!

Psssst.....Get the Nikon.
I'm beginning to feel that the 2.5-10x is the best scope in that new Monarch line. It will suit ya.   
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 15:50
Right you are Mark..... NO 4200 IN GLOSS, only a 3200 which isn't going to compete with the Monarch. or Team Primos. (Monarch)
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 17:43
I would agree tht the nikon would be the best choice of the three. At that power, 10x and below, it has the brightest image of the three at least in my eyes despite reading that the 4200 should be better in low light conditions. Above 10x power though, i find that the 4200 has more clarity or at least seems to be able to focus better at farther ranges speaking of their adjustable SF models. The rainguard though is a good and unbeatable feature if you fancy hunting in the rain or in wet humid conditions.
With the leupold though you get better resale value as well as probably the best customer and aftermaket service and you would be helping your economy if you are an american since leupolds are still made in the U.S.A. Big%20Smile 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 20:08
if the nikon had rainguard like the 4200 and good cs dept like leupold i would pick the nikon right now, i would take the 4200 for 99% of normal hunting
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 22:43
I'd want the 4200.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 05:24
The Leupold and the Bushnell have a normal eyepiece of the standard dimensions ( handed down by God ) whereas the Nikon's eyepiece is about the circumference of a pumpkin--not very good for a Springfield's bolt llft--unless you want to mount it way up in the sky..  Shocked
DEHINES View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEHINES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 05:39
I had not thought about the possible clearance issue with any of the scopes.  I will need to check all of their sites for the exact eyepiece dimensions.  I already had to use extra high rings from Leupold in order to clear the safety with the Tasco.  If I went with the Bushnell (only in matte) would it look very bad from a matching standpoint?  The current rings, mount and barrel are gloss.  I could change the rings to matte if it'd look a lot better but would prefer not to change the mount because the gun was custom built and that might get expensive by the time I had a gunsmith work on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 11:22
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

The Leupold and the Bushnell have a normal eyepiece of the standard dimensions ( handed down by God ) whereas the Nikon's eyepiece is about the circumference of a pumpkin--not very good for a Springfield's bolt llft--unless you want to mount it way up in the sky..  Shocked

Good call, Ed. I hadn't thought of that either.

(Handed down from God.) Excellent
I always thought that was the 1911 and John Moses Browning. Wink
DEHINES View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEHINES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 14:56
I am seeing online a BUSHNELL ELITE 4200 2.5-10X40 MULTI-X, GLOSSY 422104G for approximately $379.00.  I understand it is a discontinued model.  Should I consider it or stay away since it is an older model?  I was leaning towards the Nikon but I may not be able to go that direction because of the eyepiece size and the limited bolt clearance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 15:10
Do we know for sure the bolt won't clear on the Springfield or are we just trying to avert a FUBAR here?  

I realize your rifle is somewhat different than my Remington 700, but I had zero problems clearing the ocular housing on my 4-16x Monarch and LOW rings.

The Bushnell or the Nikon are going to be terrific scopes.  
DEHINES View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEHINES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 15:19
It will be extremely close with the Nikon.  The old Tasco scope used to get barely touched when putting on the safety.  I just put on the extra high rings from Leupold and now have about 1.5-2.0mm clearance at most.  The Nikon is 4.0mm bigger so it will be about 2.0mm lower.  The Nikon, however, is .6" longer so depending how far back I can slide the scope and where the lowest point of the Nikon hits at the rear sight I might be very lucky.  By the way, I do love the look of the Monarch on your gun and I'd prefer to go that way if possible.
DEHINES View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEHINES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 15:21
York, PA has a large gun show this weekend.  I am hoping to get a much better look at the Nikon and possibly take in my gun with the existing scope off so we can position a scope on the rings.  It will be close I am afraid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 15:24
Thank you for the compliment. 

I want you to be happy with your purchase. If you think the bolt handle will drag on the Monarch's eye piece, by all means, play it safe and get the 4200. 
DEHINES View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEHINES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 20:44
I can get the  BUSHNELL ELITE 4200 2.5-10X40 MULTI-X, GLOSSY 422104G for $308.00 from R&R Arms.  I understand it is a discontinued model.  Do you know when it was discontinued?  Should I consider it for the clearance problem?  Are there changes in the current models I would notice and regret not having later?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 20:48
Originally posted by DEHINES DEHINES wrote:

I can get the  BUSHNELL ELITE 4200 2.5-10X40 MULTI-X, GLOSSY 422104G for $308.00 from R&R Arms.  I understand it is a discontinued model.  Do you know when it was discontinued?  Should I consider it for the clearance problem?  Are there changes in the current models I would notice and regret not having later?
Baseball%20Bat bad move brother better read this
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
DEHINES View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEHINES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 20:55
Ouch ............ I do so apologize to everyone here.  This forum is new to me and I hadn't read the rules yet and had not noticed that it was sponsored by the  SWFA group.  I won't make that mistake again.  Better purchase something soon from SWFA to redeem myself.  Sorry again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 21:03
i figured i would let you know, it does happen a lot here, swfa does have some of the best prices and certainly the best service out there, this sight is more for information than anything, of course picking up some sales from it doesnt hurt.
as far as your choice of scope, i would buy it and have no regrets or worries, bushnell will fix it no matter what, current or discontinued, but with a 4200 your going to have to do some serious work to damage that scope. have no fear bro
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic