OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax PF65 ED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax PF65 ED
    Posted: October/20/2008 at 07:09
I had the chance to compare several spotting scopes last week. Won't go into details, but the Pentax 65 mm ED with the SMC eyepiece was absolutely unbelievably good.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 14:01
Is that SMC a variable?  Thanks, I'm obviously not familiar with them.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 06:23
Yes, and it is expensive, but the overall package (scope+lens) is well worth it.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 07:06
Some info available here from the Pentax site:

God save the Empire!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2008 at 09:02
Is the SMC variable the one that comes with the PF65 ED package?  If not,  is a person well advised to get the pentax body only and get the SMC instead?  Thanks.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2008 at 11:18
I have the PF80ED and really, really like it.  it is huge, but very clear, very sharp, great color - and the best eyepiece in the business.

Enjoy the scope, it is a great deal in a spotter.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 07:22
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Is the SMC variable the one that comes with the PF65 ED package?  If not,  is a person well advised to get the pentax body only and get the SMC instead?  Thanks.

Usually yes. Just make sure that it is the XW/SMC series Pentax zoom.
As these scopes take any 1.25" astronomical eyepiece, the possibilities are tempting and endless.
There are many eyepieces out there, from $30 to $500. You could start with just the body and a $70 eyepiece, decide whether you want a zoom or a fixed power wide angle eyepiece (and what magnification), and later purchase a premium eyepiece when funds permit. 

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 07:29
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Just make sure that it is the XW/SMC series Pentax zoom.

The Pentax SMC XW zoom eyepiece will give you a magnification range of 16x-48x in the 65 mm scope. It is of higher quality than the Pentax XF zoom eyepiece, which will give you a magnification rage of 20-60x in the 65 mm scope.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 07:41
Just to show you the possibilities at the upper end,
check out the Tele Vue Ethos 13 mm eyepiece ($620) : it will give you about 30x magnification in the 65 mm scope, with 100 degrees of edge to edge sharpness and incredible contrast.
dahoffman72 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dahoffman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 22:12
I have several of the Pentax eyepieces offer someone who is interested, I just cannot post them as yet.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 09:55
Originally posted by dahoffman72 dahoffman72 wrote:

I have several of the Pentax eyepieces offer someone who is interested, I just cannot post them as yet.

There is a reason why you cannot post your items for sale.  And yet, you persist in telling everyone in numerous places that you have them whilst bemoaning that you don't yet have the requisite permissions.

Rather than wasting everyone's time, why don't you just be patient, spend some time at the site, contribute to some posts in a meaningful way, and let people get to know you a little?  It won't take hardly any time at all and you'll have earned the appropriate permissions and in the meantime, you won't create a bad reputation for yourself that will most assuredly cause you more difficulty in selling your items than will this short little "probationary" period.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 16:19
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

There is a reason why you cannot post your items for sale.  And yet, you persist in telling everyone in numerous places that you have them whilst bemoaning that you don't yet have the requisite permissions.

Rather than wasting everyone's time, why don't you just be patient, spend some time at the site, contribute to some posts in a meaningful way, and let people get to know you a little?  It won't take hardly any time at all and you'll have earned the appropriate permissions and in the meantime, you won't create a bad reputation for yourself that will most assuredly cause you more difficulty in selling your items than will this short little "probationary" period.

Touche'
wyobowhunter1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyobowhunter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 18:47
Is the SMC XW zoom eyepiece the one that comes with the pentax scope on samplelist.com?  I am looking pretty hard at that spotter.ShockedThanks!!!
Vegetarian- old indian word for bad hunter
dahoffman72 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dahoffman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 19:01
Wyobowhunter, the eyepiece which comes with the scope normally is the SMC Zoom which is a 8-24mm which equates to a 20 - 60 zoom.  As far as I know the XL and XW series are all fixed focal lengths.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 20:26
Originally posted by wyobowhunter1 wyobowhunter1 wrote:

Is the SMC XW zoom eyepiece the one that comes with the pentax scope on samplelist.com?  I am looking pretty hard at that spotter.ShockedThanks!!!

No, it is not.   The scope on the samplelist is the XF zoom which is Pentax's lower-end zoom.  It is the one that typically is included with the PF65 as a kit. 

The SMC zoom eyepiece can be found here:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7334-2849-new-pentax-zoom-eyepiece.aspx

It costs $460 all by itself, but the images it produces are fantastic.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 20:28
Originally posted by dahoffman72 dahoffman72 wrote:

Wyobowhunter, the eyepiece which comes with the scope normally is the SMC Zoom...
  This is incorrect.

The eyepiece that comes with the PF65 is the lower-end XF model.

The SMC eyepiece is included with the purchase of the PF80 and/or PF100 kits.

Edited by lucznik - April/16/2009 at 20:29
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 21:35
As an owner and user of the PF80, the upgraded eyepiece is worth the extra $$!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 14:41
The "default" eyepiece that comes with the Pentax PF65ED spotter is the XF zoom (I have one) which is pretty decent for the money, but not nearly as good as the higher end XW and SMC zoom eyepieces.

ILya
smschulz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smschulz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 18:01

I recently got rid of my Leupold Wind River 15x45 60mm spotter and replaced it with the Pentax 65EDIIa (angle) and the better SMC Zoom eyepeice (#70509).

WHAT a difference!  There is no comparison in the quality of the optics.

I know it is kinda expensive but I was tired of not being able to see 223/556 paper holes at 200yds and straining at 100 yards.

I do not have that problem now and for good reason as I am shopping for a 308 bolt rifle and will be shooting 300yds +.

Nice spotter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic