OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper scopes
    Posted: October/17/2008 at 23:21
Has anyone used a Vortex Viper 6-20 X44mm Scope?  Is the scope worth the money?Thanks for your help.Sharp%20Shooter
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2008 at 23:16
Sorry not really familiar with it but welcome to the OT.  If you can give us a price range and how you intend to use it and the calibe we will do our best to find a way to spend your money or make you wish you had more money to spend.Cool

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 06:25
Welcome to Optics Talk CK.
The Vortex is from what I have read a very solid scope. I haven't had the pleasure of reviewing one though there are a few people that I trust here that have and they like them.
Wes does make a point. If you are unsure of your purchase, let us know what you are shooting and at what distances you plan to do it. We can help you get something that will be satisfying for you.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
CK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 17:56
I will mount the scope on a 223 or 308. Shoot at the range and bust some Prairie dog. I have a couple of Super Snipers and can say nothing bad about them. I guess I am hoping the Vortex Viper 6-20 x 44m Scope will be the variable scope that was never made by Super Sniper. I am still considering another Super Sniper in 16X or 20x. So what can I expect from the Vortex Viper? Thanks for your input.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 18:09
Here's a scale from the website. http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8185
Note that the Vortex is right there with the SII, there are reports that it is a smidgen better optically.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
CK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2008 at 20:37
The Vortex Viper Fails! The Super Sniper is the better scope and considering that a 6-20X44 Vortex Viper's price  of $475.00, for a $125.00 more I can buy two Super sniper. I just don't feel good about Vortex Viper at this time. I will look for a Vortex  Viper in a local gun shop and check it out there. If someone is using a Vortex Viper 6-20X44 please let me know. Thanks for all the input.Sharp%20Shooter
riverrat373 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2008 at 22:20
Hey CK! How can you say the Vortex fails when you have not even looked at one yet? Don't take someone else's opinion as the gospel! You can ask for opinions but in the end you have to check it out yourself and make your own decision. :-)Big%20Grin
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2008 at 22:30
Vortex actually makes a descent optic.  The Viper is in the Bushnell 4200 class.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
hunter223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 22:51
Originally posted by CK CK wrote:

Has anyone used a Vortex Viper 6-20 X44mm Scope?  Is the scope worth the money?Thanks for your help.Sharp%20Shooter

HELL YES!!! Prolly the best scope in that price point I had one and only sold it to help fund a Premier Bandito
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 02:40
Vortex Viper scopes are quite nice.  I have reviewed a couple and liked one enough to buy it.  I have also looked at just about all scopes in the Viper line at one time or another.  These are very well-made and well featured scopes competitively priced.

Where did you see one fail?

ILya
Sendero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 09:11
The Vipers are excellent! I have the Bushy Elite 4200 6-24x50 to compare with and the Viper is as good in every way. I'm eagerly awaiting their tactical models this summer.

I unloaded all my super snipers after finding out that for the hunting I do, they just weren't getting used much. I much prefer a quality variable scope. Ashame that SWFA never brought out the variable SS. Go find that famous thread and you'll see my posts going back 2.5 years. Gee... good thing I didn't wait! Eek
One shot is all ya need!

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 10:03
I had a look at a Vortex Viper lined up against some good scopes. The quality of the scope (from just handling it though), looks fine. The glass also seemed quite OK. Definately worth considering for your use.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic