OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Flash Suppressors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flash Suppressors
    Posted: October/15/2008 at 13:59
Hey guys the new barrel I have purchased for my precision AR is threaded for a suppressor.  Any of you know if there is one that is better than another as far as accuracy is concerned?  I have heard the Vortex one is pretty good.  Or should I just buy a cap for the threads and not even bother?

I have a Phanton 5C2 on my AR now and it seems to shoot great with it, but it is certainly not set up as a precision gun.  I just don't want to get one that is going to hurt accuracy. 

Thanks
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 14:11
I also have the 5c2, I am presently considering the 5M1. It acts as a brake as well as a flash suppressor.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 14:33

http://www.libertycans.net/

I have had great luck with them.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 14:40
Can you guys use noise suppressors?  Saw a lot of them for sale in the gun stores when I was in NZ. 
God save the Empire!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 14:44
Not a can just a flash suppressor. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 14:44
In Utah we can.  We can even hunt with them.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 15:41
Flash suppressors (hiders) do not affect the accuracy of your rifle, unless they are improperly installed where the bullit would actually strike it. Muzzle brakes direct the gas from the fired round to either/and/or reduce felt recoil, reduce muzzle rise, and sometimes act as flash suppressors and sometimes not. A muzzle brake shouldn't affect accuracy either unless it damages or changes the muzzle crown in some way. There are many different types of muzzle brakes and I couldn't say which is best. There are also alot of different flash suppressors; depends on what you need it to do. I would say either get a muzzle brake if you need quick follow up shots, or are bothered by recoil, or a M16A2 flash hider to protect the crown.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 15:49
I don't think I want a break.  To noisy.  Not a lot of recoil on an AR anyway. 

A lot flash suppressors are not equal all the way around and meaning they have no ports of the bottom so they don't stir up dust.  So I guess my concern is will the gases affect the bullet somewhat because it is not venting evenly inside the suppressor.  Meaning a touch more pressure on the bottom of the round.

I realize that the gases are behind the bullet so maybe the bullet is clear before the gases hit the suppressor and it changes the pattern, but not sure exactly what kinds of effects they have.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 15:53
The amount of disturbance is minimal, existent, but minimal. Unless you are planning to be fairly anal about precision, I wouldn't worry too much about that.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 19:45
just so I have a better understanding, what do you consider to be anal in regards to accuracy/precision?
take em!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 19:57
If you are that concerned about it, get a M16A1 flash suppressor, it is slotted evenly all the way around.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic