OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

200 yds grouping - good or bad??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 200 yds grouping - good or bad??
    Posted: October/15/2008 at 07:18
Today I had a chance to get onto the Navy range. (It only cost me a kudu steak and sausage!!)
The wind was blowing quite hard from right to left, approx from 2 o'clock at about 15mph. I used the first reticule  with the power set on 25x. This puts me 3" high at 200yds on the zero reticule.
Ignoring shots A and B way to the left (which can be wind drift, me or anything else, is the rest OK? Seems to be 11/2 inch or back to 3/4inch at 100yds. This seems the best the Rem 700 VSF 308 Win can do for now.
Any comments??
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 08:09
Seen worse .....way worse...
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 08:41
Those are all hits. When you consider the distance, and the fact that wind is seldom consistent at any range, this looks pretty darned good.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 09:05
looks good to me, but I'm not in your league!  BTW, not sure why your hits are so low at just 200 yds?  Thought you would want to be closer to dead-on at this range.
take em!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 09:34
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

looks good to me, but I'm not in your league!  BTW, not sure why your hits are so low at just 200 yds?  Thought you would want to be closer to dead-on at this range.

Tip69, the purpose of the shoot was to see what drop I am getting at 200yds. My rifle is zeroed at 100yds. The first reticule blow zero reticule happens to put me 3inches high at 200yds. The impact point is however still another 1 1/2 inches lower, meaning a drop of 4 1/2 inches at 200yds. I think this is pretty normal.
I now know that I need to use the first reticule on 25x and aim 1 inch higher. Alternatively on 20x, using the 2 reticule I will be exactly on target as this aims 4 inches high at 200.

So my objective was to see what grouping I can achieve and how much drop at 200 yds.

Edited by 8shots - October/15/2008 at 09:35
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 09:44
That sounds right 8 shots.  My 175s drop 4 inches at 200 yards from my 100 yard zero.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic