OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

GUN CLOSET

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BXCANMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GUN CLOSET
    Posted: October/14/2008 at 14:17
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am refinishing my basement making room in my home.I am thinking of constructing a big closet for my firearms, complete with shelves, and racks, I will be running electricity to the closet for a light. I currently use a dehumidifier down there now. Do u guys recommend installing one inside the closet i build? How about installing a vent over the door for circulation. I am using 5/8 sheetrock and a steel door.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 14:25
Absolutely if your current dehumidifier is on the otherside of a tight steel door and your room has outside walls (insulation and vapour barrier will help).  Cheap insurance, would not trust just a vent.

I have to keep the doors open in our bsmt to keep the levels reasonable particularly during summer even with vents in place.  You will know your situation better.  Could always buy a hygrometer to check levels first.

Edited by Dogger - October/14/2008 at 14:39
God save the Empire!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 14:32
Would depend on how tightly its sealed up.
take em!
BXCANMAN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BXCANMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 14:47
You recommend installing insualtion between the sheet rock. What about the sheetrock 5/8 or 1/2....
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 14:53

Not sure where you are located but here if the walls are being built on outside bsmt walls (mine are concrete block) we would insulate inside the studs, place a good vapour barrier and then drywall.  This would help a lot to keep the interior surface near room temperature.  In the summer though we have periods of high humidity that requires a dehumidifier even with a central air conditioner.

God save the Empire!
BXCANMAN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BXCANMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 15:04
I live on long island, Basement stays pretty dry, had all new windows installed, and the closet will not be constructed on any exterior walls interior only
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 15:09
Sounds like you have no need for insulation or vapour barrier in your situation.  In your case a vent may be good enough but I would still place a hygrometer in there for a while to double check.  Will your firearms be inclosed in a safe or on racks? 
God save the Empire!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 17:18
Bx,

Uncle Silver has a bit of a warped mind from reading too many spy books.  I have to ask a question.  Rather than sheet rock have you thought of concrete block and making the area look like the end of the basement wall?  Put a book case over the door to hide it.  One guy I know used panneling to do the same thing. Hey, you deserve your own "Bat Cave."

I'll also state that there are some very good paints that are aimed preventing moisture in the basement.  Those do not prevent condinsation.  Some 2x foam board on the outside of the of the basement wall will help wonders at keeping the house warmer and dryer.  You can improve the results by by glueing some foam board to the inside wall 

Lite reading: The Underground House by Rob Roy (underground home contruction for the modern age),  The Hiding Place by Torry Tinbloom (sp) a real life hiding place in WWII (some of the people I know used to go to church with her).  The Diary of Anne Frank talks about this some.

Paladin Press has some interesting books on Secert Hiding places.  Google hidden drawers and hidden doors. 

If you know any custom cabinet shops this is a good time to buy them lunch.  They have a lot of interesting hardware that is low profile.  
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 17:54
[  " The Hiding Place " by Corrie ten Boom ]   Made into a movie in 1975.  Available on DVD.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 21:55
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

[  " The Hiding Place " by Corrie ten Boom ]   Made into a movie in 1975.  Available on DVD.

The DVD does not have the half page of details that explained how they worked to keep the room hidden.  Batman

In one of the Sins of the Assasian(sp) books the Heroin sets up secret hidding place behind a radiator in the room  to escape thermal detection.Shocked

Our hero, in this case, should at least be able to make a hidden wall safe. BIG HINT: cedar lined closet with boards rather than pannels.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

BXCANMAN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BXCANMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 07:32
I will be looking into the the special paint. The foam board idea sounds good. Thanks for all the insight. You guys have been a great help.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 10:38
 Remember guys ... he'll be listed as we are now ... as owning a hidden arsenal .... LOL  Those news reporters kill me with " he had an arsenal of 5 rifles in his home " .... not just them the cops say that BS too ! A few of my wife's friends came in and saw 2 of my gun safes and when I told them what was in them .... they looked at me like I was a terrorist ... and asked what I was .... WHAT I WAS ?????   Mouth%20Taped%20Shut   I just smiled and said " Horney as H*LL ... I then got that dumb blonde look ...  LOL

Edited by mercenary1947 - October/15/2008 at 10:42
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 11:22
I'm on the firearms control radar because of my handguns and the number of long guns I have.  It means I am subject to inspection but they are still required to make an appointment first.  If they just show up at the door I can refuse entry.  Their option then is to get a warrant or negotiate a more suitable time.

Knock on wood, I haven't been bothered yet and have nothing to hide anyway.  Not sure what I would do if they just showed up - think I would tell them to pound salt and make an appointment just to be a stubborn SOB. 
God save the Empire!
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 10:57
 I don't think I'd have any problems there ... already have had to and have passed all secret service and fbi checks .... and am re-evaluated constantly .  Politics ya know ... only takes minutes to get okayed and verified for firearms ... my local gun shop owner was shocked ... LOL . 
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 11:13
All my permits are current so not a big deal for me.
Many guys I know didn't register their firearms.  The problem is you cannot take an unregistered firearm to a gunsmith - that is the first thing they ask for because they don't want to risk their licence.  You have to show your firearms permit to buy ammo now.  Probably won't be too far down the road where they will cross reference to your registered firearms and if you don't have any they are going to start asking questions.
God save the Empire!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic